Another good recruit...

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Is it safe to say that the VB program is getting the best recruiting classes year in and year out of any of ISU's athletic programs? I don't know crap from apple butter when it comes to volleyball, but I've been very impressed with CJL and the job she's done in building this program from the ground up. I hope she continues to be as happy as she seems in Ames.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Another All-American! Did I read it right somewhere that we had 2 playing in the Under Armour All-American game and 2 were honorable mention?

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
I'm a huge CJL fan and Clone VB fan. But I am also a huge wrestling fan. I wish KJ would take on the same vision and initiative!!

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Brings up the question once more. Is CJ looking to go to a 6-2 system after Landwehr graduates? Or is she just bringing in quality athletes who can play both setter and other positions for depth. The starting setter has probably been the most irreplaceable player in her system. An injury to the #1 setter like the one Hockaday had could immediately ruin a season.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Brings up the question once more. Is CJ looking to go to a 6-2 system after Landwehr graduates? Or is she just bringing in quality athletes who can play both setter and other positions for depth. The starting setter has probably been the most irreplaceable player in her system. An injury to the #1 setter like the one Hockaday had could immediately ruin a season.

Does make you wonder. I think it general she is an incredible all around player.

sandiego

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2006
Chattanooga, TN

I've been thinking the same thing, especially with the versatility of Malloy and Hudson.

Also, talk about crazy depth!!! This class of now 8 puts the team at 17 athletes. I'm pretty sure they only have 13 scholarships. Bigbee, Malloy and Hudson will be pushing to get on the court this year. Bigbee is a no-brainer, 4 year starter. Hahn will have her hands full as well, as Nolan will push her for court time as well. I don't see her beating out Hahn though.

Exciting times for ISU volleyball. Not that rankings mean that much, but that's 4 top 50 recruits(35,36,40,44) and CJL has a knack for developing unheralded players and getting the max out of "lesser athletic/talented" players.

I'll be curious to see the make up of the team this fall and who's redshirting. This will be a very competitive team.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I've been thinking the same thing, especially with the versatility of Malloy and Hudson.

Also, talk about crazy depth!!! This class of now 8 puts the team at 17 athletes. I'm pretty sure they only have 13 scholarships. Bigbee, Malloy and Hudson will be pushing to get on the court this year. Bigbee is a no-brainer, 4 year starter. Hahn will have her hands full as well, as Nolan will push her for court time as well. I don't see her beating out Hahn though.

Exciting times for ISU volleyball. Not that rankings mean that much, but that's 4 top 50 recruits(35,36,40,44) and CJL has a knack for developing unheralded players and getting the max out of "lesser athletic/talented" players.

I'll be curious to see the make up of the team this fall and who's redshirting. This will be a very competitive team.

I think Gallagher was #80, and Kuhrt was a top 150 player to boot. According to an ISU Daily article last fall, Gallagher, Rassmussen, and Vondrak will be walk-ons. That may have changed since Wilms and Johnston are no longer on the team.

I don't think Nolan will unseat Hahn, who is All-America caliber. She could, however, step right into Caitlin Mahoney's spot as a DS. When Hahn graduates in two years, she will be well prepped to keep up the great libero lineage of Maas and Hahn have started.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
dont quote me on this but i believe gallagher is committed to Indiana now...which explains why we signed Hudson (both are setters)

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
dont quote me on this but i believe gallagher is committed to Indiana now...which explains why we signed Hudson (both are setters)

You can be quoted now:

All-American Setter Gallagher Signs With Indiana Volleyball - IUHOOSIERS.COM - Indiana University Athletics

If the Daily was correct in that she was going to be a walk-on, Indiana might have stepped up with the scholarship. If she was a walk-on, then the loss of her might have led to Hudson, but it would not have been her schollie.