Android wi-fi headaches

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
When I'm on campus there are 2 wi-fi networks available and my phone always picks the wrong one.

"OSU Wireless" is the University's network which is fast, full signal strength and password protected. Then there's "ATT Public wi-fi" which is slow, almost no signal strength, and requires me to go into the browser to accept their terms of use before I can use any apps.

However, since the ATT network doesn't have a password my phone LOVES IT. Even though I have the credentials for the OSU network saved my phone still defaults to the crappy network. It will even switch over while in use, and since I rarely notice right away, my phone just grinds to a halt and I sit there like a moron doing nothing for several minutes before I realize that it stupidly hopped back to ATT wifi.

Anybody know if there's a way (either built into Android or in a separate app) to set which network you prefer over another? Since I want to be able to use ATT wi-fi off-campus I can't simply "Forget" the public network.

cyclonetrent

Feb 27, 2011
Johnston
I don't see any way to select a preferred network on my bionic, seems like there should be a way, but I have never encountered a situation like that.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
When your phone automatically connects to it can you manually disconnect? Doing that on a computer usually takes that network off of auto-connect status, doesn't it?

Not sure if it would work on a phone, but it's the best I got.

Edit: Didn't see your last line at first. Still, might be worth it if it's that frustrating.

Last edited:

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
go into settings, long press on the network you don't want, and select forget.

Since I want to be able to use ATT wi-fi off-campus I can't simply "Forget" the public network.

No dice. I'm reasonably technically inclined so I know that I could just forget the network, but like I said, that has its own problems. On my laptop I can make a list with the "preferred" networks at the top and the "least preferred" at the bottom. If anybody knows an app that can do this, let me know!

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Nothing to add from me except I have the exact same problem in the hospital where I work. Would love to know if anybody knows of an app or other solution.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
There is an app in the Play Store called wRecX that can supposedly help with this issue. I've heard about it, but never tried it. There are free and pro versions.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
You could do it with Tasker but it's not free and would be a little more involved if the app mentioned above works.