Alumni Reunion

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
What's the chance that Larry Eustachy may attend one if these in the future? I know he left on a sour note and controversy surrounding his last job too but I think a majority of fans still has a soft spot for Larry after he brought us possibly 2 of the most successful and exciting years of basketball in the program's history. Guessing a few more years may need to pass to heal some wounds but he's a big chapter in this program's history that still should be celebrated. Will be interesting to see how that 99-00 team is celebrated here in another year on its 20th anniversary.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What's the chance that Larry Eustachy may attend one if these in the future? I know he left on a sour note and controversy surrounding his last job too but I think a majority of fans still has a soft spot for Larry after he brought us possibly 2 of the most successful and exciting years of basketball in the program's history. Guessing a few more years may need to pass to heal some wounds but he's a big chapter in this program's history that still should be celebrated. Will be interesting to see how that 99-00 team is celebrated here in another year on its 20th anniversary.

He came back for the Barry Stevens memorial game and got quite the ovation.

It seems to me that everyone is invited to this reunion and I have no doubt that Prohm has tried to get Larry here. I'm guessing he will be at some point.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Would be great to get him and Paul together:rolleyes:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I hope the comes back for one of them. Seeing the photos of Floyd, Hornacek, and Tinlsey were great. In just 2 years it's impressive just how many former Cyclones Coach Prohm has got to come back to Ames that we have not seen in awhile and you are seeing some of the same happening in football too with Coach Campbell. We need to embrace and celebrate the past, those guys paved the way for the athletes here today and didn't have the benefit of some of the great facility upgrades that have happened in recent years but still competed at a high level against the top programs in the country. This is how you build a winning culture and while I hope Coach Prohm is here for the long haul and makes this program a national powerhouse, even if he leaves for another job or unfortunately fails and gets fired this is 1 thing I hope he leaves as a legacy at ISU and the next guy after him continues. I still feel that ISU is a place where if you have the right guy it's one of the better jobs in the country. Just look at Johnny Orr, at the time ISU was seeking out suggestions from him on coaching candidates. Orr had a pretty good stint at Michigan taking 2 teams to the Elite 8 and 1 national championship runner up and he pretty much told ISU "well what about me?" He coached at ISU for 14 seasons, never took a team past the Sweet 16, had an overall record at ISU of 218-200 and a losing conference record of 79-117 yet he has a banner hanging in the rafters of Hilton because he turned ISU from a doormat program into one that was respected on a national level. You can look over the W/L records of ISU coaches and Fred, Prohm, Floyd, Eustachy, even Wayne Morgan in his short stint had a better winning % than Johnny but the 1 guy that multiple generations still view as the guy that put ISU on the map is Johnny. I'm hoping that culture Coach Prohm is installing right now is something we'll look back on years from now and appreciate the mark he left on the program.

I'm hoping that ISU goes all out to celebrate that 99-00 Elite 8 team in the 19-20 season and that includes having Larry, Fizer, Tinsley, and as many players of that team as possible at a big game in Hilton to have them honored at a halftime. I know we have many generations represented here on CF and I am probably a little biased myself since I was attending ISU from 98-02 but that team is probably the best team in the school's history and still to this day is the benchmark to compare any good team we have

Reactions: NWICY

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Would be great to get him and Paul together:rolleyes:

I know Paul has shared some bad memories from his time here how he hated Larry and I have first hand knowledge how miserable Brandon Hawkins was at ISU because of how Larry treated him. But he also made a believer out of Fizer and made him a better player as he was only at ISU because of his relationship with Tim Floyd .I got to meet Richard Evans many years later and he shared some interesting stories but for as much crap as he got from Larry he said he played his best basketball because Larry pushed him to be the player he was capable of.

Larry probably has a little bit of Bob Knight in him. They aren't PC but they get the most out of their players and they come out better men than the came in because of what they learned playing for them. Just look at Tinsley, he was talented as hell but no major program wanted him because of the baggage he carried. It bet him and Larry had it out quite a bit in the early going. But in the end look at the player he turned Jamaal into. He had a NBA career that he may have never had if Larry had not given him the opportunity to play at ISU.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
He came back for the Barry Stevens memorial game and got quite the ovation.

It seems to me that everyone is invited to this reunion and I have no doubt that Prohm has tried to get Larry here. I'm guessing he will be at some point.

When he came back for the Barry Stevens memorial, I heard Larry talking about how nobody even recognized him in Hattiesburg (I think that is where Southern Miss is) or made a big deal about him, even at the stadium, whereas here he was treated great everywhere. I think he enjoyed coming back for that.

Prohm seems to want any and everyone to come back. I fully expect him to bring Larry back sometime, particularly with as good as his teams were.

Reactions: CYdTracked

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
This is such a cool event. Something I didn't even know we were lacking until Prohm started this. :cool:

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I could see maybe next year or the year after you bring Larry back. At least give some time to breathe from his firing from Colorado State.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I could see maybe next year or the year after you bring Larry back. At least give some time to breathe from his firing from Colorado State.

Again, I’m sure Larry had been invited the last 2 years. No one can force him to come back.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Another cool thing is they got more players to come this year. I thought they had s good response last year but getting guys to come back year after year would be tough.

Reactions: isutrevman

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
When he came back for the Barry Stevens memorial, I heard Larry talking about how nobody even recognized him in Hattiesburg (I think that is where Southern Miss is) or made a big deal about him, even at the stadium, whereas here he was treated great everywhere. I think he enjoyed coming back for that.

Prohm seems to want any and everyone to come back. I fully expect him to bring Larry back sometime, particularly with as good as his teams were.

As a fan, it was nice to have him back for that because of how poorly it had ended here.

• Agree
Reactions: MrPeske

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I can understand thinking that. But this is more for the players and less for the fans.
True. But that doesn't stop me from wishing I could have been a fly on the wall during those basketball "games" at Sukup. They looked like they were having so much fun! :D

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Abby and Amber Rose in Ames in the same weekend. If I were a recruit, I’d be impressed

Joking aside, I think it speaks volumes that Prohm got all these guys back.
Amber Rose, I had heard of. Who is Abby? I assume she's the blond in the Hornacek picture?