All FB coaching rumors and speculation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I'm throwing my name in for OU head coach! For $7Million a year, I can hate Texas and the OU AD, Riley was never consulted and was against the move to the SEC.

Reactions: agentbear

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I'm throwing my name in for OU head coach! For $7Million a year, I can hate Texas and the OU AD, Riley was never consulted and was against the move to the SEC.

These are the type of things I hope Campbell is looking at when or if he considers a move to another school. Do you think at tOSU, LSU, Texas, Tennesse and obviously OU that you have any say in anything other than how you coach the team? Even that is probably debatable.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
My impression of Campbell is that it’s important to him to have control of the program and be the one setting expectations and goals. I don’t think he’d do well politicking with donors or other external parties. ISU is a special fit for that. Not saying he’ll never leave but it’s gonna take more than money or prestige to lure him away.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
My impression of Campbell is that it’s important to him to have control of the program and be the one setting expectations and goals. I don’t think he’d do well politicking with donors or other external parties. ISU is a special fit for that. Not saying he’ll never leave but it’s gonna take more than money or prestige to lure him away.

I actually do agree, but think about this: all of that also applies to the program he was running while at Tulane, and yet we were able to lure him away from them when he was totally happy there.

• Funny
Reactions: agentbear

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

so-close-jim-halpert.gif

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I actually do agree, but think about this: all of that also applies to the program he was running while at Tulane, and yet we were able to lure him away from them when he was totally happy there.
I think you mean Toledo. I don’t think even the administration or the most loyal fans of MAC schools ever expect a coach to stick around long term. Have you seen the crowds at those mid-week games? Those teams are an afterthought in their respective states.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
From the outside, I don’t really understand the disdain. Groomed by Stoops to take over, won consistently, won the Big 12 most years and had them in the CFP or in the conversation, seems like a likeable guy.

Of course, those are also internet trolls and not necessarily the whole fan base.
The people by us at the game were kinda similar. They talked about loving Nebraska and hating Texas but they now down to whatever Texas wants. They are obsessed with Texas. They think they are entitled. The SEC is going to be a rough experience for them.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
It is if that's stadium capacity, which it is. And not once did anyone receive free pizza as an incentive to attend.

I would also add about the "unreal fan support"

I think what is different at ISU is that the fans show up (for the most part) through thick and thin.
5 years of 6-7 wins at OU, LSU, etc get you fired and the fans stop going to the games.
The coaching staff is probably getting death threats if they haven't been fired already.

ISU is like a a really nice startup company that is just ready to go nuts, but stupid crap like realignment, NIL and some bad luck is slowing it a bit.

I also think he stays for reason Pollard stays. A lot of flexibility and you don't have oil tycoon donors back seat driving you the whole time.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
people think leaving Toledo, (or Tulane lol) means Matt Campbell will leave Iowa State for any upgrade.

That’s not what it is about with him. There are many reasons why he chose Iowa State and those are the same reasons he will stay.

Of course if a better opportunity comes up he will look at it, but better to the world is not necessarily better to him.

hence USC.

He is happy. He is winning. He is not finished.

Growing up Catholic in Northeast Ohio the son of a football coach.
Dream Job #1 Notre Dame
Dream Job #2 Ohio State. In that order

and that’s saying he is ever offered those jobs.