All FB coaching rumors and speculation

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Dont doubt his word. But $80 - $100 million can change a person's mind.
This is certainly an issue. And that is nothing anyone can predict. The desperation of trying to win.

My LSU buddy said today “when they gonna offer someone a Billion???”

So far….according to Reports….Coach Campbell has turned down more money more than once.

StLCyclone

Apr 28, 2010
This is certainly an issue. And that is nothing anyone can predict. The desperation of trying to win.

My LSU buddy said today “when they gonna offer someone a Billion???”

So far….according to Reports….Coach Campbell has turned down more money more than once.
I know some places can offer a ludicrous $$/yr that we could not match. Realistically in the new B12 what is the most we could offer? Is it the current $4m/yr + total control?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I actually do agree, but think about this: all of that also applies to the program he was running while at Tulane, and yet we were able to lure him away from them when he was totally happy there.

LOL Tulane.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Didn't pete Carroll only win one n.c. at usc and wasn't that with a few players that weren't even eligible? Not sure usc is the draw people think it is with 18 year olds today.

I think it could be and will be once that offense is rolling. Just a ton of great talent and if they get success they will market it will.

Reactions: agentbear

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I know some places can offer a ludicrous $$/yr that we could not match. Realistically in the new B12 what is the most we could offer? Is it the current $4m/yr + total control?
Honestly I’ve come around to CMC staying and think he could really be like a more successful pat fitzgerald where he just likes where he is and has unlimited job security. Being a coach at LSU, FU, texas etc has to be very mentally taxing.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
As much as a person likes anyone in the sports profession or even politics. Its foolish to rely on things people say in those areas. The list of examples is long of the coaches that have said something and 1-2 days later done the opposite. Not sure why coaches continue to paint themselves into a corner by saying things like " I am firmly entrenched, etc" , but I also don't understand why teams continue to fair catch punts inside the 5 yard line either....lol

But you are right....there comes a point where a blueblood comes crawling, you think you can win a title with them and they are going to pay you a guaranteed 100 million for 10 years. Could be hard to pass up.

End the end, I think we are going to have to find a way to get him in the ~5M range, provide more incentives like more $$ for winning the Big12 title or getting to a NY6 bowl/playoffs, etc.
And I am sure he is going to want more for his assistants.
But even if we get him at 5M he is going to be making half of the top jobs in College football. Do we really think Lincoln Riley is worth twice Matt Campbell? No, but that is just the way things work.

These numbers below do make me feel better about things considering there are a lot of good coaches on this list making the same or just above MC.

And the five most expensive coaches to fire:

1. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M -- $95.575 million
2. Dabo Swinney, Clemson -- $47.5 million
3. Nick Saban, Alabama -- $38.4 million
4. Ryan Day, Ohio State -- $28.416 million
5. Matt Campbell, Iowa State -- $28.333 million

Top 5 salaries in each conference:

Big 12
1. Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma -- $7.857 million
2. Gary Patterson, TCU -- $6.103 million
3. Steve Sarkisian, Texas -- $5.45 million
4. Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State -- $4.375 million
5. Matt Campbell, Iowa State -- $4 million

Big Ten
1. James Franklin, Penn State -- $7 million
2. Ryan Day, Ohio State -- $6.614 million
3. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern -- $5.748 million
4. Mel Tucker, Michigan State -- $5.632 million
5. Scott Frost, Nebraska -- $5 million
5. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa -- $5 million

Pac-12
1. David Shaw, Stanford -- $8.924 million
2. Chip Kelly, UCLA -- $5.6 million
3. Kyle Whittingham, Utah -- $5.2 million
4. Clay Helton, USC -- $4.813 million
5. Mario Cristobal, Oregon -- $4.6 million

SEC
1. Nick Saban, Alabama -- $9.5 million
2. Ed Orgeron, LSU -- $9.012 million
3. Dan Mullen, Florida -- $7.57 million
4. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M -- $7.5 million
5. Kirby Smart, Georgia -- $7.133 million

ACC
1. Dabo Swinney, Clemson -- $9.508 million
2. Pat Narduzzi, Pitt -- $4.816 million
3. Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech -- $4.25 million
3. Bronco Mendenhall, Virginia -- $4.25 million
3. Mike Norvell, Florida State -- $4.25 million

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The people by us at the game were kinda similar. They talked about loving Nebraska and hating Texas but they now down to whatever Texas wants. They are obsessed with Texas. They think they are entitled. The SEC is going to be a rough experience for them.
They’re going to be Nebraska.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Wow, once highly sought after, but how is Shaw at Stanford getting 9 mil??? I know academics prints money there, but wow. He hasn't done anything in years.
Yeah, I thought that same thing. Schools like this and the NFL keep printing money to pay coaches, which drives up the cost for everyone else to keep them around.

10 years ago
#1 Mac Brown at 5M
#2 Saban at 4.6M
#3 Stoops at 4M

Not sure we can keep up this pace.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Dont doubt his word. But $80 - $100 million can change a person's mind.
I really do question sometimes if people can truly grasp the amounts of money we are talking about. Yeah $80-$100 million is a ton of money and could be significantly more than what he is getting here but once you hit a certain point money just doesn’t do anything for you.

Earlier this spring when the lottery was super high I allowed myself to dream some and came up with some budgeted amounts for spending. I was having trouble even coming up with ways tj spend money to get to much smaller annual incomes.

Sure there is the ego driven aspect of this guy makes this much so I should make that much but these contracts have gotten well past the point of actually mattering in anyones day to day life. They all make more money than they can spend.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I really do question sometimes if people can truly grasp the amounts of money we are talking about. Yeah $80-$100 million is a ton of money and could be significantly more than what he is getting here but once you hit a certain point money just doesn’t do anything for you.

Earlier this spring when the lottery was super high I allowed myself to dream some and came up with some budgeted amounts for spending. I was having trouble even coming up with ways tj spend money to get to much smaller annual incomes.

Sure there is the ego driven aspect of this guy makes this much so I should make that much but these contracts have gotten well past the point of actually mattering in anyones day to day life. They all make more money than they can spend.
80-100 million in 10 years is way different than 40.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

The more a person makes, the more they spend. It is easy to spend millions a year, especially with kids. Vacation homes, extra vehicles (vehicle for the vacation home), private chefs, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone