All FB coaching rumors and speculation

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I’m just trying to understand why every ISU fan thinks their fanbase is somehow special. You have decent support for being the 2nd choice in a small state. But I don’t really see anything special or “unreal” about it.
Have you ever been to the Big 12 basketball tournament? Ask Bill Self, he marvels at Iowa State’s fan support. His team can be number one ranked and playing in their backyard and Cyclone fabs overwhelm the Jayhawk fans. I honestly think Self is envious.

Btw, I would never call ISU the 2nd choice in Iowa. I grew up a big Hawkeye fan in the 80s in eastern Iowa but switched immediately my freshman year at ISU and never looked back. After living for 8 years in Chicago and 7 years on the east coast I would never want to be associated with Hawkeye fans. They have a terrible reputation for spouting off, always thinking their teams are better than they really are. Whereas there is a humility to Cyclone fans that outsiders like. I am sure rickyrudd is that Hawk fan that earns them this reputation. But carry on.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I once saw Campbell at a Subway in Ames and gave him an awkward head nod/bow thing without saying a word to him. I’m sure this interaction is why he would favor LA.

I said "Hi, coach" to Bill Fennelly once, pretty sure that's why he has stayed all of these years. ;)

Laughing thinking of some of the peeps saying Hoiberg left in part because he was too big of a local celebrity and fans were on him like paparazzi.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
wow these blue bloods are desperate to get a big name. maybe they should look at the non power 5 coaches who have built programs on their way up the coaching ladder. patience is a virtue that should learn.

Non-power 5 coaches don't get the donations coming in. College football is a business, and the current state of business is immediate profits over future growth.