Akron downs Gamecocks

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
The Gamecocks aren't starting out too hot. Akron looks to be pretty good this year and they seem to get to the tourney at a fairly regular click lately, but still a bit of a dismal loss at home for Frank Martin's squad. Was kind of hoping they would end up being decent enough to be a decent RPI boost when we beat them, but that is not looking too promising right now.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
This is Martin's, what, third year? You'd got to think his seat will be a little toasty if they don't do something notable this season...

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think we look at RPI too much. We're in one of the best two conferences in the nation. We could suffer 3-4 pretty bad losses and be just fine with wins over the Kansas' and Texas'

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
It was in Charleston and the place was dead, but close enough (location wise) to a home game I suppose. I like Martin but he hasn't done anything at all since he's been here, its just been awful with no talent whatsoever.

He did get a top 35 commitment the other day from a local Columbia kid but the other top recruit (top 50 I think) from Columbia picked VCU over Carolina and UConn. Moral of my rambling is we are pretty bad and Martin is struggling but there is reason for hope.

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
I didn't even look at the location, just looked at the home/away designation on ESPN. Should have realized it wasn't a proper home game with pre-season tourney season underway. Good to hear that they have hope. And I do hope they improve. I'm not a huge Martin fan, but his scowls are pretty epic and fun to watch come tourney time. lol

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
I think we look at RPI too much. We're in one of the best two conferences in the nation. We could suffer 3-4 pretty bad losses and be just fine with wins over the Kansas' and Texas'

I know that it is a bit over-analyzed, but it seems to be a decent metric later in the season to compare teams that don't play each other. It could also be a big deal for seeding. Advantageous seeding can be a crucial factor and it seems like RPI is at least discussed as being an important rubric for some of those borderline decisions.