Acreage tips from the Fanatics

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Just purchaced a new home just outside of Ames with 4.4 acres (3 small pastures, indoor riding arean w/ 6 horse stables, small outbuilding for hay/equiptment,)

I need any advise you can spare. We have never had an acreage and don't know the first thing about horses. We are planning on self care boarding the stables for a little bit of suplimentary income.

Eventually plan on having a horse or two of our own.

I am going to need to purchace a tractor for mowing/snow plowing, and areana maintenance. I am thinking a smaller tractor with a bucket and will need a grader for driveway. Hope to get one with a 60" mowing deck.

Anyway, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 128172

We have 5 acres and mowing is a pain in my ass. Luckily for me, my wife likes to mow because she can just listen to her podcasts and mow away.

I do wish I had a skid loader to use for snow and various other projects that come up.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
It’s been 7 years since I left Iowa but drifts like that happened maybe 1-2 times per 20 years. The worst I can remember was the winter of 2009-2010. That was epic level drifts. I was actually told by a state trooper that I couldn’t leave town to go to work at like 6am. When I finally was able to leave I remember snow drifts on HWY 42 towards Grimes at least 4 feet above my truck.
It depends on your driveway. Mine is basically in a ditch so drifts over very easy.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
It’s been 7 years since I left Iowa but drifts like that happened maybe 1-2 times per 20 years. The worst I can remember was the winter of 2009-2010. That was epic level drifts. I was actually told by a state trooper that I couldn’t leave town to go to work at like 6am. When I finally was able to leave I remember snow drifts on HWY 42 towards Grimes at least 4 feet above my truck.
We weren’t at our current home in 09-10, but if I remember right, that was a brutal winter. This last winter was the worst we have experienced at our place, and we’ve had some doozies. I actually broke the wench link on my 4wheeler, even trying to plow out multiple times a day, and got the old man’s truck stuck. Had to bring out the Bobcat this year :)

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We have 5 acres and mowing is a pain in my ass. Luckily for me, my wife likes to mow because she can just listen to her podcasts and mow away.
I like mowing for the same reason except audio books instead of podcasts. But, a ZTR is lifechanging. It goes so fast now I have to stop for 'breaks' to make it last longer (TWSS).

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I
the most infuriating thing about it all though was my wife’s boss literally told her this exact phrase “well, I was able to get to work so there is no reason you shouldn’t”. Her boss lived in Des Moines. We lived in the country. They were literally not allowing us to leave town and that Bit$ch told my wife that. Still sticks with me.

• Haha
Reactions: aauummm and 0u812

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
I'm selfishly looking forward to following this thread for a year or two. Please keep us updated with your adventures. You'll get some great advice here. You already have. And congratulations!
Thanks! I am excited and scared shittless at times.

Reactions: FallOf81

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
I

the most infuriating thing about it all though was my wife’s boss literally told her this exact phrase “well, I was able to get to work so there is no reason you shouldn’t”. Her boss lived in Des Moines. We lived in the country. They were literally not allowing us to leave town and that Bit$ch told my wife that. Still sticks with me.
Luckily, My wife works from home full time, I WFH 2 days a week. My work is fairly flexable with WFH if I need extra.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Luckily, My wife works from home full time, I WFH 2 days a week. My work is fairly flexable with WFH if I need extra.
How far are you from a main road? Guessing pretty close if you live in a HOA. We were stranded for 5 days and live 2.5 miles from town.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
You will want a zero turn mower to mow the house yard. Trust me on this, it has nothing to do with obstacles. They are just FAR more efficient.

You'll use a small tractor with a bucket for odd jobs, and I'd buy a bigger mower attachment for this to mow the pastures from time to time. You will not want to "just let the horses keep it down" to manage the grass. And if you only use a ZT mower to mow pasture, you'll spend an entire day at it.

You can usually pick these up used to save some short-term cash while you are figuring out the operation.

Long-term it may be worthwhile to invest in a snowblower attachment for snow. Stick with a cheaper blade and/or the bucket to manage one season and see what you think with what you see in snow pattern. Also just consider hiring the snow removal done instead of investing in that right now.

Double-kudos on the recommendations for insurance. You will need a special policy for an equestrian business, and you will want to post an "inherent risk" sign to help cover yourself for liability.

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

raftercy

Sep 6, 2006
Albia, IA
We are currently quoting insurance. Our current insurer(nationwide) has farm and ranch coverage. As I understatnd it, any clients that we are boarding for will also be required to carry renters insurance. If we do self care, we are basicly going to grant access to the facilities, all other responsibilities(food/water/care/placement) fall on the owner. I imagine we will have to grant tenants access to our water supply(Xenia) and I understand our water bill is going to be high. I was thinking about having a well installed, if our HOA allows, for watering the horses.

Tractor is on the radar. I am thinking a bucket, mower deck, and whtever impliment we will need to harrow the areana and smoth/rake out the surface material. I guess the previous owners had to dig up 3 feet of ground because the owners before them had let the ground get so compacted.
Be aware that many insurance carriers will cover the liability when you own your own horses, but boarding horses for others can typically be excluded, and requires a commercial liability policy, or at least a special endorsement to bring that coverage in. Care, custody, and control is also an issue. Many insurance companies have been burnt in the past by anything to do with horses, and are very reluctant to provide liability coverage. Coverage can be obtained, just make sure that your agent is aware of everything upfront to avoid surprises later on.

There is a learning curve to figure out all the nuances in caring for horses. Hopefully you have a neighbor or a good friend that you can call upon for advice.

FYI, we own 16 acres and have 4 horses (all our own) on the property.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
How far are you from a main road? Guessing pretty close if you live in a HOA. We were stranded for 5 days and live 2.5 miles from town.
I think we are 6 miles from county line road.
Edit: we are 3.2 miles from county line road.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Lol thats currently what I live in here in Chicago. Getting ready to sell it though and move back to the DM area. While it would be nice to live on a few acres someday, reading this thread has taught me that maybe I’m not ready yet.
Full disclosure, I wasn’t ready for an acreage when we bought one and I didn’t know it. I thought I was, but…

We got smacked in the face a few times. It’s all good though. Have had some good neighbors when in a pinch, and have learned a lot. We are over 10 years in now, and would not have changed anything related the experiences past, present and future.

Oh…and if you’ve ever wanted land, one thing to keep in mind…they aren’t making more of it.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I like mowing for the same reason except audio books instead of podcasts. But, a ZTR is lifechanging. It goes so fast now I have to stop for 'breaks' to make it last longer (TWSS).

Mowing just seems to need to be done when I have more important stuff to do (the racecar). If I have time to do it I don't mind it because I just listen to my music as I do it.