A Patient Fan Base

CloneSolo

Feb 11, 2010
Marion, Iowa
A Patient Fan base…

Patience my loyal son

We have been constantly reminded that we have a young team. Looking at the roster, it is true. Only one starter on our offensive line is a senior, albeit a very important one. The skilled positions are dominated by underclassman with significantly more athletic ability than we have seen previously in Cyclone uniforms – see one Allen Lazard. There can be no argument as we have seen the obvious ability of such young stars as Allen Lazard and Jake Campos. The future is bright for these young Cyclones.

We have the 7th toughest schedule in college football this year that is especially front-loaded. Our first four opponents have a combined record of 15-1 with the first 3 Big 12 games being against the last 3 conference champions. The opponents we will face later in the year will not be of the caliber that we have faced to date. Remember, we still have Toledo, Kansas, a down Texas team, and a very mediocre Tech team coming to Ames in November.

We have 6 new coaches that are getting acquainted with there personal and what they are capable of. There is a difference between evaluating talents in practice versus real-time game situations. Installing schemes, plays, techniques and scenarios take time. How much time is the ambiguous component to this discussion? Much applause has been give to the Coach Mangino hire, which we all think has improved the quality of offense produced. However, I think it is very apparent the move of Sturdy to QB coach has provided obvious dividends to the development of Sam Richardson this year. Hopefully this will help the maturation of our younger quarterbacks so they will be ready when their time arrives.

Patience … wait for one minute this loyal son has been patient.

I understand the truths of all the above statements. Yes, no doubt we have a young team, but why are we so young in Year 6? Yes, this is a difficult schedule, but every year in the Big 12 will be difficult – get used to it. Yes, we have a new set of coordinators, but that is more to the mistakes in hiring of the past. To ask for more patience from this fan base, is to ask the Mother Teresa to be more compassionate. I would argue ours is the most lenient and patient fan base in America. How many schools consistently sellout games with a mediocre to poor product and constant promises of a better tomorrow? Not many.

Patience is preached, but will it be rewarded that is yet to be seen.

Last edited:

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Re: A Patient Fan Base (Sorry Long)

If it is open letter time I am moving on to bball season...

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

I thought it was just me being half-awake, but then I realized I actually WAS reading the same thing again. Way to make a long post even longer by double posting it, OP!

CloneSolo

Feb 11, 2010
Marion, Iowa

No open letter, just wanted to state all the reasons for our current situation. THe reasons why coaches, fans, etc say we should continue to be patient, and the frustration of this constant request. Not asking anything of anyone, just cathartic writing on Sunday morning.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO

Is this one of those slam poems? :jimlad:

Woman... woe-man... whoooa-man. She was a thief, you got to belief, she stole my heart and my cat. Betty, Judy, Josie and those hot Pussycats... they make me horny, on Saturday morny... girls of cartoo-ins will leave me in ruins... I want to to be Betty's Barney. Hey Jane... get me off this crazy thing... called love.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

This would probably be more effective on me if I hadn't already spent 45 years being patient. There is a lot more ISU football in my rear view mirror than there is left in front of me. Since the '70s we have been to exactly one semi-decent bowl game (2000). I remember going to that and seeing lots of elderly ISU fans and thinking "Man, they probably thought they would never get to a bowl again let alone one at a nice venue.". Well, now I am that old guy wondering if I am going to be that really elderly guy that doesn't live long enough to see us do something more than pull an upset win once in a while.

Fan patience will be awarded in basketball, not football.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
A Patient Fan base…

Patience my loyal son

We have been constantly reminded that we have a young team. Looking at the roster, it is true. Only one starter on our offensive line is a senior, albeit a very important one. The skilled positions are dominated by underclassman with significantly more athletic ability than we have seen previously in Cyclone uniforms – see one Allen Lazard. There can be no argument as we have seen the obvious ability of such young stars as Allen Lazard and Jake Campos. The future is bright for these young Cyclones.

We have the 7th toughest schedule in college football this year that is especially front-loaded. Our first four opponents have a combined record of 15-1 with the first 3 Big 12 games being against the last 3 conference champions. The opponents we will face later in the year will not be of the caliber that we have faced to date. Remember, we still have Toledo, Kansas, a down Texas team, and a very mediocre Tech team coming to Ames in November.

We have 6 new coordinators that are getting acquainted with there personal and what they are capable of. There is a difference between evaluating talents in practice versus real-time game situations. Installing schemes, plays, techniques and scenarios take time. How much time is the ambiguous component to this discussion? Much applause has been give to the Coach Mangino hire, which we all think has improved the quality of offense produced. However, I think it is very apparent the move of Sturdy to QB coach has provided obvious dividends to the development of Sam Richardson this year. Hopefully this will help the maturation of our younger quarterbacks so they will be ready when their time arrives.

Patience … wait for one minute this loyal son has been patient.

I understand the truths of all the above statements. Yes, no doubt we have a young team, but why are we so young in Year 6? Yes, this is a difficult schedule, but every year in the Big 12 will be difficult – get used to it. Yes, we have a new set of coordinators, but that is more to the mistakes in hiring of the past. To ask for more patience from this fan base, is to ask the Mother Teresa to be more compassionate. I would argue ours is the most lenient and patient fan base in America. How many schools consistently sellout games with a mediocre to poor product and constant promises of a better tomorrow? Not many.

Patience is preached, but will it be rewarded that is yet to be seen.

Great perspective. Even being so, get ready for the onslaught of those who want it NOW. (With whom I can also empathize)

CloneSolo

Feb 11, 2010
Marion, Iowa
Thanks, I am not a great writer, hence the reason I don't post often on here. I didn't want to get anyone agitated. I just think there are quite a few fans like myself that understand the realities of the season, but are still frustrated nonetheless. Especially while in the stands last night watching a team that was arguably a worse program than us for quite some time now being elite.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
Thanks, I am not a great writer, hence the reason I don't post often on here. I didn't want to get anyone agitated. I just think there are quite a few fans like myself that understand the realities of the season, but are still frustrated nonetheless. Especially while in the stands last night watching a team that was arguably a worse program than us for quite some time now being elite.

Don't sell yourself short. The message, however accurate it may be, just won't be received well, and understandably so.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Harriet.

Harry-ette.

Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis.

Beautiful, bemuse-ed, bellicose butcher.

Un-trust... ing. Un-know... ing.

Un-love... ed?

"He wants you back," he screamed into the night air like a fireman going to a window that has no fire... except the passion of his heart.

I am lonely.

It's really hard.

This poem... sucks.

CloneSolo

Feb 11, 2010
Marion, Iowa

How so? I simply stated the excuses that are commonly provided for the deficiencies in this team, and in the last paragraph questioned why these deficiencies are present. When you lead an business, group, or team that is what you do. You look at the problems, and try to correct them as soon as possible. These are not new problems, just recycled ones. I understand the deficiences, I just am having a harder time accepting them continually.

Obviously you are an expert on all things as you have over 23,000 posts on a fan website so go ahead and make as many derogatory statements as you want.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron