A break down of Iowa state recruiting class from sport treatise

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I was impressed with the write up. Missed a bunch of things that a little investigation he should have known about. Like the TE we got from Arkansas because we were recruiting him as a TE and that is what he wanted to play...kid also has good hands.

Also a little weird that he left out deshounte Jones and wasn't impressed because he only ways 170 lbs. The big 12 has success with small WR quite often and this kid was a 4 star player of the year in his class in Ohio. In general the WR take was the most off to me.

I also think getting Park is a lot more than taking a flier. He was the 8th ranked QB in the 2014 class...just because he left Georgia after his freshman year doesn't mean he isn't good

It was just his opinion and I get that, but seems like a lot of info was missed.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Doesn't CMC play a spread offense from the shotgun? This write up makes it sound like we will be playing a pro set offense.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
He may know positioning and technique, but he sure doesn't know size. You just have to take a look at Fernandez up close to know he is taller than 6'1" or 6'2"...but not a bad write up.

I'll take Ayenis' opinion on a RB over a writers any day of the week by the way.

ronandkay

Jul 25, 2014
I was impressed with the write up. Missed a bunch of things that a little investigation he should have known about. Like the TE we got from Arkansas because we were recruiting him as a TE and that is what he wanted to play...kid also has good hands.

Also a little weird that he left out deshounte Jones and wasn't impressed because he only ways 170 lbs. The big 12 has success with small WR quite often and this kid was a 4 star player of the year in his class in Ohio. In general the WR take was the most off to me.

I also think getting Park is a lot more than taking a flier. He was the 8th ranked QB in the 2014 class...just because he left Georgia after his freshman year doesn't mean he isn't good

It was just his opinion and I get that, but seems like a lot of info was missed.

Maybe you should write a story then let us all criticize you?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
That was very detailed. Does he do this for all the Big 12 teams?

He was very high on Cliff Fernandez and most of the DBs, that was nice to hear. On the flip side, he wasn't too excited about the DL... but I think he was more realistic than alot of us ISU fans who have seen so many poor HS DL classes, that we get very excited about potential improvement.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Where is the author from? Just curious what part of the country and conference tie this was taken from. Interesting read, however.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Agree, very good. Seems well researched and fair. He does use the term "good for Iowa State" in the write up which to me explains what I consider a low grade for the DL. This illustrates what we all already know which is that this staff did a good job with the time afforded but to be in the upper echelon of the Big 12 we have work to do.

There's no doubt that this staff has started well.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Maybe you should write a story then let us all criticize you?

I will leave that to the writers...didn't know we had to like every article or blog. My bad. Just saying there was some things I thought were odd. For the most part it wasn't too bad, just missed some things that's all

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Agree, very good. Seems well researched and fair. He does use the term "good for Iowa State" in the write up which to me explains what I consider a low grade for the DL. This illustrates what we all already know which is that this staff did a good job with the time afforded but to be in the upper echelon of the Big 12 we have work to do.

There's no doubt that this staff has started well.

I think this does explain the article some tohme. I look at it thinking that the rankings we're taken into consideration the team that the players are going to. If we are comparing the classes to the nation's best teams we wouldn't get a grade higher than a B probably. In terms of classes at ISU...that is where it would be higher ratings

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Doesn't CMC play a spread offense from the shotgun? This write up makes it sound like we will be playing a pro set offense.

Yes and no. You will see a 5 wide spread at times. You will also see 2 TE formation that they will run power and still throw out of it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
He spend an awful lot of time on the defense talking about the field and boundary sides. Not exactly sure what he's going with here, I suppose the same as strong and weak side for the lines. I'm not sure there's really that much difference but what do I know.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
He spend an awful lot of time on the defense talking about the field and boundary sides. Not exactly sure what he's going with here, I suppose the same as strong and weak side for the lines. I'm not sure there's really that much difference but what do I know.

Pretty sure that is where the players line up relative to the hash. If the ball is on the left hash, the RCB is the boundary corner, the LCB is the field corner.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
I thought Payne and Daniels were going to be safeties, not corners?

I do agree with him about Park though.

I also agree that Dylan Soehner might end up being the best OT in this class, even though he'll start out at TE for us.

I think they said Daniels will play safety at the recruiting night special. Not sure about Payne

If park was way over rated coming out of school that is fine. He could have been ranked 40 spots too high and He would still be one of the top ranked QBs we have ever got. I Would agree with the flyer thing just because we probably won't know what we got until next year

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron