***#6 Iowa State at Collegiate Duals (Dec. 19-20)***

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
Man…I have been on a family vacation, and I’m just finally getting caught up with everything. This team is legit!!! and I love seeing all the new posters appreciating what we have for a wrestling program right now. Very excited and proud to be a cyclone wrestling fan.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Wtf? No reason to say that
True. Agreed. But hear me out:
It’s one thing to get the hawks scared and be little b*tches and run their mouths because they feel threatened. It’s another thing entirely to get the actual defending champs and kings of the mountain to start feeling heat.

I like it. A lot.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
True. Agreed. But hear me out:
It’s one thing to get the hawks scared and be little b*tches and run their mouths because they feel threatened. It’s another thing entirely to get the actual defending champs and kings of the mountain to start feeling heat.

I like it. A lot.

True

Cyfan2901

Dec 18, 2022
Man Starocci has become so unlikeable. Post match interview “we peak in the postseason. Iowa state peaked today. It’ll be fun seeing us improve and them decline”. @Tigerguy_ have Dresser put that in the locker room
What’s just soft anyway you put it. Sure March is what matters the most, but the regular season still matters. They must not like winning by less than 15

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
A great tournament, to be sure, I can't remember the last time that I was this excited about our team. Probably when the Paulsons and Backus were wrestling, so it has been a while.

I got to thinking about how our team is very much in the conversation for a top dual team - we so closely lost to both #1 and #2. But what did we do this week in terms of our standing for the tournament in March? Assuming that we wrestle to our rankings, what will the new rankings be, and what impact does it have?

125 - no real change to rankings or expectations
133 - Ramazan was at #21 (Intermat). I think that he upped his expectation to blood round.
141 - no change
149 - PJ was at #5 and I don't think that this weekend changes that, although he could move up a slot.
157 - NR, but maybe he could actually be a dark horse and sneak into qualify, then a win or two would be a nice bonus.
165 - No change, but I think that he is getting more comfortable at the weight. No reason that his rankings change.
174 - Was at #21. He may have increased his stock. But Rd16 is probably peak at this point.
185 - Munoz was head-hunting this weekend. Tough loss for Marcus, but one that he can overcome. I thought that his #4 ranking was in jeopardy, and maybe still is, but taking down #1 may keep him about #5.
197 - Yonger will definitely drop from his #2 ranking, I think that he will end up about 4.
285 - No change to his ranking.

To sum up, I don't think that our overall tournament expectation changed much from this week, if we were to wrestle to the rankings (assuming that these would be the tournament finish). So we would still finish about #5 based on the points generated from the results. That being said, however, I think that this week also showed that there is some great possibility that we can perform beyond. We can still have title contenders at 149, 165, 185 and 197. AA potential at 125, 133, 141, and 285. And possibly a couple of wins at 157 and 174. While this is pie-in-the-sky type of stuff, it is always fun to dream, and those finishes definitely put the team in medal position.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
A great tournament, to be sure, I can't remember the last time that I was this excited about our team. Probably when the Paulsons and Backus were wrestling, so it has been a while.

I got to thinking about how our team is very much in the conversation for a top dual team - we so closely lost to both #1 and #2. But what did we do this week in terms of our standing for the tournament in March? Assuming that we wrestle to our rankings, what will the new rankings be, and what impact does it have?

125 - no real change to rankings or expectations
133 - Ramazan was at #21 (Intermat). I think that he upped his expectation to blood round.
141 - no change
149 - PJ was at #5 and I don't think that this weekend changes that, although he could move up a slot.
157 - NR, but maybe he could actually be a dark horse and sneak into qualify, then a win or two would be a nice bonus.
165 - No change, but I think that he is getting more comfortable at the weight. No reason that his rankings change.
174 - Was at #21. He may have increased his stock. But Rd16 is probably peak at this point.
185 - Munoz was head-hunting this weekend. Tough loss for Marcus, but one that he can overcome. I thought that his #4 ranking was in jeopardy, and maybe still is, but taking down #1 may keep him about #5.
197 - Yonger will definitely drop from his #2 ranking, I think that he will end up about 4.
285 - No change to his ranking.

To sum up, I don't think that our overall tournament expectation changed much from this week, if we were to wrestle to the rankings (assuming that these would be the tournament finish). So we would still finish about #5 based on the points generated from the results. That being said, however, I think that this week also showed that there is some great possibility that we can perform beyond. We can still have title contenders at 149, 165, 185 and 197. AA potential at 125, 133, 141, and 285. And possibly a couple of wins at 157 and 174. While this is pie-in-the-sky type of stuff, it is always fun to dream, and those finishes definitely put the team in medal position.
Swiderski is definitely a title contender. Yay. I would say 5 title contenders and 3 potential AA/Round of 12 guys would put ISU in the top 2-3.

Reactions: CyGold and stuclone

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I think we'd all be wasting our time if we took anything Starocci says seriously. He's a fantastic wrestler, but for about a year now he's been spouting off nonsense at pretty much any opportunity he has to be in front of a camera or microphone. Not entirely sure what his angle is, but seems like he's making a very poor attempt at trying to be the next great wrestling heel.

Reactions: HouClone

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I think we'd all be wasting our time if we took anything Starocci says seriously. He's a fantastic wrestler, but for about a year now he's been spouting off nonsense at pretty much any opportunity he has to be in front of a camera or microphone. Not entirely sure what his angle is, but seems like he's making a very poor attempt at trying to be the next great wrestling heel.
My best guess is he is trying to brand himself as a personality for the WWE or UFC (whatever route he chooses to go). Still going to be fun when the Clones peak in March and put a little scare in Penn State :)

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
It’s a shame because he is such a fun and amazing wrestler. However, these days it’s all about marketing. Need those eyeballs and followers. Saying outlandish things gets you more attention.

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Man Starocci has become so unlikeable. Post match interview “we peak in the postseason. Iowa state peaked today. It’ll be fun seeing us improve and them decline”. @Tigerguy_ have Dresser put that in the locker room
Was this on Rokfin after the match or somewhere else?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
So…I’ve watched the Coleman roll through on Brooks about 15 times from multiple angles. I hear so many people saying he pinned Brooks, but I don’t see it. It was a GREAT move, and one I think was called accurately. Anybody but Brooks is getting stuck, which is a testament to just how good Brooks is.

Last edited:

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
So…I’ve watched the Coleman roll through on Brooks about 15 times from multiple angles. I hear so many people saying he pinned Brooks, but I don’t see it. It was a GREAT move, and one I think was called accurately. Anybody but Brooks is getting stuck, which is a testament to just how good Brooks is.
Fair but ask your self if they were reversed would it have been called? Yes it would have been

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Great tournament for ISU. Very happy with the competition level, fight and results. Looking forward to getting back into Hilton with the B12 schedule. With that being said we can always improve and these are some things i took away from the last 2 days:

125 - Cabanban looked good all weekend. Honestly not much of a downgrade from Terukina. Not the highest level of competition, but he did what he had to do. Terukina has more flash and ceiling, but I feel more confident with Cabanban on the mat in the 3rd period securing a win than Terukina gassing out.

133 - Ram has impressed me this year and solidified my thoughts on him being our 33, despite feeling Redding was our guy for majority of last 2 years. He is solid enough to stay in any match and not worry about potential disaster. Can't say the same for Redding. One small and very picky thing I noticed in RBY match is towards the end when the match is out of reach with 30 seconds to go he needed to start defending against the major instead of firing a bad shot and RBY gets the go behind for the MD. Like I said very picky and cant really fault a guy for continuing to fight.

141 - See 133, but Redding stepped up big this weekend for the team. Kudos to him! I'm a redidng fan, dont see him in our lineup at the end of the year.

149 - Had a questioning feeling before this weekend if Paniro was actually ready to be at the top of the weight class with the big dogs. This tournament squashed all of those thoughts. He is ready for the spotlight and then some. Great weekend from him! His head hands defense is elite with cat like re-attacks

157 - Holy Degen. Overall he had some big matches this week that helped the team tremendously, but not sure he should have been in those positions to begin with. Idk where Kraisser gets his confidence to go upper body 24/7, but he should maybe start avoiding body locks. He loses majority of flurries and puts himself in holes in 1st periods. Frustrating to say the least. Beating a dead horse here, but disappointing we haven't found a transfer to compliment Carr at this weight

165 - Carr had great competition this week. Handled it very well and never in danger. Being picky but would like to see him open it up more. Finishing those outside singles, which he struggled with multiple matches, goes a long ways towards opening it up. He is riding well for being up a class, but not a huge urgency to work for a turn. Like I said being picky.

174 - Broderson fought all week! Saved the tech against Cornell and major from PSU. Not expecting a whole lot at this weight but need to continue to fight as this weight could swing dual results drastically.

184 - Marcus wrestled great all weekend, including his OSU match. Came out tired and flat footed and couldn't dig himself out from the whole. Huge nuts to bump up a weight, an upper weight none the less and ride out a period. Unbelievable. Then tops that with his performance last night. Love the fight and huge confidence booster to let it fly come March

197 - More big nuts from Yonger. To give up that much weight against Cornell and still come out on top is unreal. Clsoer than I'd like against OSU, but that kid has some big wins this year. I think there should have been more stall calls against OSU anytime Yonger got to double unders. The Dean match came down to a takedown. Yonger is the best 97 in the country in the neutral position and have no doubt we can flip that result in March. Can't be afraid to put Yonger down though as he's shown he can get out against anyone now.

HWT - Not much from this weekend hope he can heal up and make a run. Based on camera angles from the bench it looked like we were forfeiting HWT no matter if we were still in the dual.

Can't deny this team is trophy hunting this year and have shown multiple teams they deserve to be there now.

GingerNinja

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2012
Omaha

From about 0:18-0:20 he looks pretty flat to me, it would have been a quick pin but the official was right there to see it.