4+5 star recruits

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
When have we had a chance to play the "get by with lesser parts" card since the season ended? Ridiculous.

Non-trollcoach thread turned into trollcoach jockeying for some trolling 8 months in advance.

This board has been non-stop roster-bating anyway.

I think he's confusing our football and basketball talk on this board. I've thought we were one of the more talented teams the last three years in a row, certainly top 20 or top 30 talented. We may not have got that way by landing 5 stars out of high school but the talent is there and ISU fans are more aware of it than anybody.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Side note....why is there no hoops forum on ISU's other message board on Rivals?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Diante Garrett, Royce White, Chris Allen, Korie Lucious....Fred has had 4/5 * guys since he got on campus. Ain't nothing changed but the time. For 3 years now ISU has had the talent to beat anyone, last season was special but what if Royce and Co don't run into Kentucky....or what if they call a foul on Aaron Craft? Those 2 teams were sweet 16 caliber if you ask me.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Non-trollcoach thread turned into trollcoach jockeying for some trolling 8 months in advance.

This board has been non-stop roster-bating anyway

I think he's confusing our football and basketball talk on this board. I've thought we were one of the more talented teams the last three years in a row, certainly top 20 or top 30 talented. We may not have got that way by landing 5 stars out of high school but the talent is there and ISU fans are more aware of it than anybody.

Exactly, anyone who spends any time around here is illiterate if they think ISU fans have an underdog mentality about the basketball program. If anything fans are too confident.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Diante Garrett, Royce White, Chris Allen, Korie Lucious....Fred has had 4/5 * guys since he got on campus. Ain't nothing changed but the time. For 3 years now ISU has had the talent to beat anyone, last season was special but what if Royce and Co don't run into Kentucky....or what if they call a foul on Aaron Craft? Those 2 teams were sweet 16 caliber if you ask me.

wuh?

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Diante-Garrett-54348

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/44888/diante-garrett

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
ISU is still obviously an under-dog to the Kentucky's and Kansas' out there. All we need to do is beat them consistently and that changes. I think we are 'there' now. We are loaded. Time to start walking the walk.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
ISU is still obviously an under-dog to the Kentucky's and Kansas' out there. All we need to do is beat them consistently and that changes. I think we are 'there' now. We are loaded. Time to start walking the walk.

This.

Saying we should expect sweet sixteens is one thing. This is a recruiting thread though and saying we aren't still underdogs for most 5* recruits is very different.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Only 12 schools in the nation with more high ranked recruits and ISU fans still play the "underdog that has to get by with lesser parts" card? Sweet Sixteens should no longer be looked at as an amazing overachievement. Welcome to the world of EXPECTATIONS.

According to this list, I see ISU being on par with schools 8-28. Schools ranked 1-7 do have much higher rated talent. So the argument of trying to do more with less only makes any sense against those schools.

But I agree that Sweet 16's are the expectation now.

But like someone else mentioned, counting all 4 and 5*'s as equal is ridiculous. More valid would be to have tiers of 1) the top five 5*'s 2) kids ranked ~6-35, and 3) the rest of the 4*'s. It seems like there's often a clear top few kids, then the lower 5*'s and upper 4*s seem pretty close.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
According to this list, I see ISU being on par with schools 8-28. Schools ranked 1-7 do have much higher rated talent. So the argument of trying to do more with less only makes any sense against those schools.

But I agree that Sweet 16's are the expectation now.

But like someone else mentioned, counting all 4 and 5*'s as equal is ridiculous. More valid would be to have tiers of 1) the top five 5*'s 2) kids ranked ~6-35, and 3) the rest of the 4*'s. It seems like there's often a clear top few kids, then the lower 5*'s and upper 4*s seem pretty close.

And I'll still argue that I'd rather have the third/fourth year of a kid ranked 35-75 than the first (and only) year of a kid ranked 1-10. Once the third/fourth year kid is done then there should be another third/fourth year guy who has been in the system for the last 2-3 years ready to step in. Just not a big fan of the college impact of OAD prospects so far. It's cool that my daughter got to meet Wiggins and Embiid and get her picture taken before they develop into big NBA stars but their net college impact was underwhelming. Maybe if they were added to a team with several 3/4 year guys it would have been different, who knows...

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
And I'll still argue that I'd rather have the third/fourth year of a kid ranked 35-75 than the first (and only) year of a kid ranked 1-10. Once the third/fourth year kid is done then there should be another third/fourth year guy who has been in the system for the last 2-3 years ready to step in. Just not a big fan of the college impact of OAD prospects so far. It's cool that my daughter got to meet Wiggins and Embiid and get her picture taken before they develop into big NBA stars but their net college impact was underwhelming. Maybe if they were added to a team with several 3/4 year guys it would have been different, who knows...

It's an interesting topic to discuss. I'd argue the very top guys are still the top value even though they are OAD. The lower OAD guys probably are less so than the top 3/4 year guys. There are other intangibles to getting OADs though. You could probably also argue they require more recruiting "energy".

When you factor in the unknown factor of some top tens become 3/4 year guys and some 35-70 guys end up OAD, plus some of each bust it's tough to answer.

Sounds like an encyclonpedia topic.

Dingus

May 23, 2013

Really?? IIRC you thought Wiggins should be Big 12 POY (a reasonable position to have). Both players were top 20 players in the country last year, EASY.

Comparing a freshman OAD to a 3rd/4th year player for one season only makes sense if the upper classman is a transfer. In that sense, yes, I'd take Kane as well. Otherwise you have to compare the 3/4th year player versus a top player for their freshman and sophomore years as well which doesn't look quite so favorable. How many players in the country would you really have taken over Wiggins, Embiid, or Parker this past season?

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
So you would rather having Connaughton and Cooney than a guy like Wiggins? As good as those two guys are, Wiggins is MUCH better as a freshman than those guys who are going into their senior year. I have to call you dumb on this. The top ten or so prospects are freaks that are rare and years above the next tier of guys.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
The top level recruits, if they fit into the system and can play as a team, are way more valuable than most 3/4 year players. Look at UK for the prime example. When they had Kidd-Gilchrist and Anthony Davis they were an incredible team because they played as a team. The following year they had a bunch of "me" players and got bounced round 1 of the NIT.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't think the formula changes even with the success we have had over the past couple years. Getting a 5 star recruit to play for the Clones MIGHT happen- but alot of things need to happen:
  1. We need to have been in on the kid early
  2. The kid probably needs to be a late bloomer
  3. He needs to be from Iowa or the upper Midwest- so a big draw of coming to Ames is so that family can see him play.

Fred's success is going to be built on 4 star recruits that we get in on early and continue to improve once they hit campus. Enough to develop into All Big 12 players. Bring in JUCO's to fill the gaps and look for transfers that fit our system and provide immediate help.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I don't think the formula changes even with the success we have had over the past couple years. Getting a 5 star recruit to play for the Clones MIGHT happen- but alot of things need to happen:
  1. We need to have been in on the kid early
  2. The kid probably needs to be a late bloomer
  3. He needs to be from Iowa or the upper Midwest- so a big draw of coming to Ames is so that family can see him play.

Fred's success is going to be built on 4 star recruits that we get in on early and continue to improve once they hit campus. Enough to develop into All Big 12 players. Bring in JUCO's to fill the gaps and look for transfers that fit our system and provide immediate help.

If Seton Hall and Oregon can sign 5 star guys, so can Iowa State. LSU is bringing in a ton of 5 star guys and there's no reason they should be able to out-recruit Fred with NO recent success. Fred is the next big thing and recruits are starting to see it. It's going to happen.

I think our best shot at a 5 star recruit (maybe even two of them!) is in the 2016 class with Coffey and Winston. Even Bridges, who we have a good shot at could be a 5 star recruit by his senior year.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
So you would rather having Connaughton and Cooney than a guy like Wiggins? As good as those two guys are, Wiggins is MUCH better as a freshman than those guys who are going into their senior year. I have to call you dumb on this. The top ten or so prospects are freaks that are rare and years above the next tier of guys.
Were Connaughton and Cooney guys ranked in the 35-75 range? Nope. I don't even see anyone named Cooney in the Top 150 of any recent rivals recruiting rankings. Maybe I'll bump the top end up to about #20 but that's about it. Thomas Robinson, Perry Ellis, the Morris twins, Cole Aldrich, Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford and Sherron Collins were all in the 20-75 range. Tyshawn Taylor was #77. I am sure the list is longer but I have to go to a meeting...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron