Twister Sister Summary - changeup leads to much needed win

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Many have been clamoring for more minute for Jade Thurmon. Today they got their wish as Jade was put into the starting lineup and what a difference she made. The first half was all Joens and Scott as they were practically the only two scoring. Fortunately Nez and Jade added just enough to keep OSU from pulling ahead too far. But the lack of scoring was evident as the sisters only tallied 25 in the first half.

For a change the third quarter was not our enemy. The ladies came out after halftime to dominate the third. Rather than a two headed beast there was more balanced scoring and the ladies turned on the gas over the last few minutes to edge ahead. Of course we know the ladies won, but was impressed me (and distressed me) were the last few minutes.

During the last 1:30 or so the bad part was ISU wouldn’t score. But what was fun was watching the defense. In particular watching Thurmon seeming to be everywhere using her speed to harass whoever had the ball. The team shut the door on OSU and walked away with the one point win.

A few notes...
Wise is making a difference. She may not be scoring a lot, but her minutes provide relief and take the heat off the other guards.

Thurmon was a difference maker. Not a high percentage shooter (but I think that may change with continued playing time) she still put in 10 points and her speed made the team look different.

Free throws...the team continues to make opponents pay when our ladies are allowed to get to the line.

Assists. This was the most disturbing part of the game. Only 6 assists on 23 baskets along with NINETEEN turnovers won’t cut it. And no...Thurmon didn’t have most of them. She only had 3 which is not too shabby.

This win came at a big time for the team. It stemmed the bleeding and had to restore some faith. Seeing Thurmon step up helped and having Wise continue to contribute in a big way sure helps. Up next are two very winnable games against the wheat teams. Both are at home and the ladies need a rowdy home crowd to help with the home cooking. Two wins would also get them on the positive side of the conference record.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I heard that one reason for the line up change was that RJ is nursing a back issue. IIRC she took a fall in our last game so I hope it is not too serious. I really did like the change in style of play with coach letting Jade drive to the basket more instead of trying to always feed KS or AJ in the paint. If we continue to let our point (no matter who it is) drive more it will open up and IMO make us a much better team. Many times we are to predictable with us forcing the ball into the post area. This style should also get MEM and AD free for 3 point shots. As acoustimac posted we need good crowds the next two home games to cheer the women to victories GO CYCLONES!!!

PS: anyone hear how Maddie F is doing with here stress fracture issue with her foot? And did you notice at the end of the game after OSU's shot missed and Jade got the rebound as the buzzer went off what she did with the ball? Love the attitude !!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I heard that one reason for the line up change was that RJ is nursing a back issue. IIRC she took a fall in our last game so I hope it is not too serious. I really did like the change in style of play with coach letting Jade drive to the basket more instead of trying to always feed KS or AJ in the paint. If we continue to let our point (no matter who it is) drive more it will open up and IMO make us a much better team. Many times we are to predictable with us forcing the ball into the post area. This style should also get MEM and AD free for 3 point shots. As acoustimac posted we need good crowds the next two home games to cheer the women to victories GO CYCLONES!!!

PS: anyone hear how Maddie F is doing with here stress fracture issue with her foot? And did you notice at the end of the game after OSU's shot missed and Jade got the rebound as the buzzer went off what she did with the ball? Love the attitude !!

I heard the same with RJ and her back - I think that it is always in the game plan for the PG to attack the rim when it is there, Jade is the only option right now with the ability to do so.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
thanks for these! I care about the ladies but its hard to have the time to really keep up on them.

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
I think Jade needs to work on or show her jump shot. Teams are going to learn quick to give her space to cutoff the drive. That is when she needs to hit a 8-10 footer.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Looked at it closer yesterday. Seemed to have some battery packs, possibly giving electro-stimulation?