On That Note: A little bit country

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Welcome back to "On That Note," Cyclone Fanatic's weekly exploration of music, hosted by @MeanDean, @CycloneRulzzz and me, cyclones500.

This week’s segment: Partly inspired by the premiere of the latest Ken Burns doc, “Country Music" (currently discussed in this thread initiated by @Bret44)

I can’t speak for everyone here, but I definitely gravitate much more toward rock ’n’ roll than C&W. But when I think about it, I’m surprised how much music I like that has a countrified sound (and sometimes country-esque lyrical themes). It’s also easy to forget that both forms have overlap in their roots, they’ve simply taken slightly different paths and in many ways have been promoted differently. (For example, think about commonalities that Elvis and Chuck Berry’s music have with C&W).

With that, let’s explore both “pure” country songs and others that interweave the genres to our liking. I'll begin my list in a separate post.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
My Garth Brooks selection - Garth has managed to scrub youtube of his music so this is the best I can find

My Toby Keith selection

My Alan Jackson selection

Reactions: cyclones500

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Love this topic. Two of my favorite artists have been accused of "not being country"

Elvira charted both on the Country and Pop charts. Research the history behind that song and you will find that Dallas Frazier first recorded the song but it was not a hit but once the ORB debuted at a concert they couldn't get in the studio fast enough to record it as a hit.

Big & Rich when they hit the scene were labeled as rock country but the songs they are recording today sound more country than the douche country songs the mainstream country radio stations play.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron