SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Last edited:

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Down the street near court avenue is the "common cowls" I believe is what its called. I used to work in the building overlooking it. They have basketball hoops etc set up.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I heard on the radio that this was only open in certain time windows. I assume it's not open today since there are no games going on. However, is there a way to know when it will be open? I don't have tickets for downtown but my wife was thinking about taking the kids down there to check it out. Thanks if anybody knows.

I know the roads downtown are still closed. I assume they would have activities going on all day again.

From the Catch Des Moines Website:

Hoops and Hops

Hoops and Hops is setting up in Des Moines March 21-23! Between the hours of 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. you can head down to Cowles Commons to watch all the March Madness action. The Iowa Craft Beer Tent will be serving up cold brews alongside the Red Bull and Svedka bar. Six local food trucks will be preparing game time food for the whole family to enjoy. You can catch the tournament action on their four jumbotron TV's and you can even shoot some hoops on one of their two 30x30 basketball courts.

Last time the tourney was in DSM I watched some games down here on the day they weren't played in DSM. Good time. Food trucks come in from what I can remember.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
If they close at 10 p.m. (WTF?), does that mean they turn off the TVs halfway thru the Iowa State game tonight?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Hoops and Hops at Cowles Commons was a blast yesterday. They’ve really upgraded the TV screens this year . Four huge screens side-by-side. Nice selection of food trucks and of course, the Iowa Craft Beer tent doesn’t suck