*** 2023 Chicago Bears ***

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The lesson of the Bears last decade is don't mortgage your franchise around a 1st round QB, no matter how good his college resume. Would be curious what success rate is for QB's taken in round 1- especially from blue blood programs.

Seems like the safer approach is draft QB's rounds 3-7 and do that every year. Spend top picks on OL, WR, DL and CB's.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
The lesson of the Bears last decade is don't mortgage your franchise around a 1st round QB, no matter how good his college resume. Would be curious what success rate is for QB's taken in round 1- especially from blue blood programs.

Seems like the safer approach is draft QB's rounds 3-7 and do that every year. Spend top picks on OL, WR, DL and CB's.

Most of your top guys in the league are first rounders and have been for quite some time. Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Lawrence, etc. Of the last several years the two non-first round standouts are Brees and Brady. Maybe Purdy will put himself there but only time will tell.

Simply put, almost all elite QBs are first round guys. With that said, there are LOT of highly drafted QBs that don't work out. Smith, Fields, Turbisky, Wilson, Leaf, Mac Jones (?), Russell, Harrington, Leinert, etc etc. The trick is to not miss with your pick.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Next week is Denver vs Chicago woof.

The only rational response to this development:

200w.gif

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So glad Montgomery got out of that franchise so I can sit back and enjoy the spectacular failure. For entertainment purposes give me an A or give me an F, and Bears are delivering on that F big time!

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Most of your top guys in the league are first rounders and have been for quite some time. Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Lawrence, etc. Of the last several years the two non-first round standouts are Brees and Brady. Maybe Purdy will put himself there but only time will tell.

Simply put, almost all elite QBs are first round guys. With that said, there are LOT of highly drafted QBs that don't work out. Smith, Fields, Turbisky, Wilson, Leaf, Mac Jones (?), Russell, Harrington, Leinert, etc etc. The trick is to not miss with your pick.
Not sure Lawrence is in the "top guy" group.

I feel like teams have FOMO syndrome. They are afraid to miss out on the next Mahomes or Allen so they reach during the first round. There have been 21 first round picks from 2017-2022 and I would consider 7 to be successes, 7 busts and 7 serviceable QB's.

Over the same 6 year period there have only been 6 QB's taken in the 2nd round. With Jalen Hurts being the only success. Having so few QB's drafted in round 2 indicates to me that teams are reaching for QB's in round 1 and in most cases using top 15 picks.

I hope the Bears get it right!! A guy like Caleb Williams will be tempting, but I feel like without a solid OL and receivers even stud QB's like Allen, Hebert or Burrows would fail in Chicago.

Here is a list of 1st Round QB's:

Trubisky (#2) - Bust
Mahomes (#10) - Success: GOAT
Watson (#12) - Success
** Plus 2nd round Kizer, Webb, Beathard

Mayfield (#1) - Serviceable
Darnold (#3) - Bust
Allen (#7) - Success
Rosen (#10) - Bust
Jackson (#32) - Success
** No 2nd round picks

Murray (#1) - Serviceable
Daniel Jones (#6) - Serviceable
Haskens (#15) - Bust
** Plus 2nd round Lock,

Burrow (#2) - Success
Tagovailoa (#5) - Success
Herbert (#6) - Success
Love (#26) - Serviceable TBD
** Plus 2nd round Hurts

Lawrence (#1) - Serviceable TBD
Wilson (#2) - Bust
Lance (#3) - Bust
Fields (#11) - Bust
Mac Jones (#15) - Serviceable TBD
** Plus 2nd round Trask

Pickett (#20) - Serviceable TBD
** No 2nd round picks

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Not sure Lawrence is in the "top guy" group.

I feel like teams have FOMO syndrome. They are afraid to miss out on the next Mahomes or Allen so they reach during the first round. There have been 21 first round picks from 2017-2022 and I would consider 7 to be successes, 7 busts and 7 serviceable QB's.

Over the same 6 year period there have only been 6 QB's taken in the 2nd round. With Jalen Hurts being the only success. Having so few QB's drafted in round 2 indicates to me that teams are reaching for QB's in round 1 and in most cases using top 15 picks.

I hope the Bears get it right!! A guy like Caleb Williams will be tempting, but I feel like without a solid OL and receivers even stud QB's like Allen, Hebert or Burrows would fail in Chicago.

Here is a list of 1st Round QB's:

Trubisky (#2) - Bust
Mahomes (#10) - Success: GOAT
Watson (#12) - Success
** Plus 2nd round Kizer, Webb, Beathard

Mayfield (#1) - Serviceable
Darnold (#3) - Bust
Allen (#7) - Success
Rosen (#10) - Bust
Jackson (#32) - Success
** No 2nd round picks

Murray (#1) - Serviceable
Daniel Jones (#6) - Serviceable
Haskens (#15) - Bust
** Plus 2nd round Lock,

Burrow (#2) - Success
Tagovailoa (#5) - Success
Herbert (#6) - Success
Love (#26) - Serviceable TBD
** Plus 2nd round Hurts

Lawrence (#1) - Serviceable TBD
Wilson (#2) - Bust
Lance (#3) - Bust
Fields (#11) - Bust
Mac Jones (#15) - Serviceable TBD
** Plus 2nd round Trask

Pickett (#20) - Serviceable TBD
** No 2nd round picks

Lots of busts for sure, but other than Hurts none of your current elite QBs came outside the first round. Some might put Prescott up there (I dont') Maybe Purdy will be there, but Mahomes, Jackson, Herbert, Burrow, Allen, Tua, and Rodgers (when healthy) are all first round guys.

Now, it's possible to find an NFL starter outside the first round. It's been done before and it will be done again. But as the NFL has evolved into a heavy pass first league it's not surprise there are 2 non-first round QBs to lead their team to a Super Bowl the last 20 years. One is Tom Brady (duh) and the other is Drew Brees, who was JUUSSSTTT outside the first round. I don't count Nick Foles as Wentz started the majority of the year before he got hurt.

Also let's be honest. The Bears scouting isn't good enough to find a diamond QB in the rough. If they were they wouldn't have started 50 bajillion QBs the last 30 years.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: irish and Die4Cy

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Why not put Bageant in at that point? Not only should Fields come out of the game there, he should have been pulled by the midway point in the 3rd quarter anyway. At that point leaving him in was doing nothing for Fields, or the organization.

Top to bottom the Bears are a complete mess (yet again).

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Why not put Bageant in at that point? Not only should Fields come out of the game there, he should have been pulled by the midway point in the 3rd quarter anyway. At that point leaving him in was doing nothing for Fields, or the organization.

He wasn't active yesterday

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

It's an organizational issue. The owners can't find good people to run it because they don't know or remember what competence in the NFL looks like. That was the type of loss that will make even die hard fans say they've had enough for the rest of the season.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I’ve blocked it from my mind, could someone explain why the Bears went and got Trubisky? Dude is the definition of a stiff, and the Bears reached for him. There’s a lot going wrong in that organization, but that mess is the stinker that keeps on stinking.

Reactions: Die4Cy

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
It's an organizational issue. The owners can't find good people to run it because they don't know or remember what competence in the NFL looks like. That was the type of loss that will make even die hard fans say they've had enough for the rest of the season.

Sadly it will take Virginia dying for this organization to have a chance at success (IE sold). We've seen it time and time again where competent ownership is the only thing that can turn a mess like this around. Kraft with the Patriots, Henry with the BoSox, Ricketts with the Cubs, the list goes on and on.

The McCaskey clan clearly doesn't know what they are doing and it's been obvious for quite some time.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Sadly it will take Virginia dying for this organization to have a chance at success (IE sold). We've seen it time and time again where competent ownership is the only thing that can turn a mess like this around. Kraft with the Patriots, Henry with the BoSox, Ricketts with the Cubs, the list goes on and on.

The McCaskey clan clearly doesn't know what they are doing and it's been obvious for quite some time.

I felt like the announcement they had bought the Arlington Park Racetrack to build a new stadium was an indication they would be selling in the medium term. Leverage that state and local government money to add a huge asset, guarantee the team would never be able to move, and then flip it. But hoo boy the org is going to be a tattered mess beyond recognition by the time they get there if this keeps trending.

• Winner
Reactions: ZRF

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I’ve blocked it from my mind, could someone explain why the Bears went and got Trubisky? Dude is the definition of a stiff, and the Bears reached for him. There’s a lot going wrong in that organization, but that mess is the stinker that keeps on stinking.

That's not even the worst move they made.

IMO the worst move of the last several seasons was the trade for Khalil Mack. While it made the 2018 season possible, it was the type of move you do to put yourself OVER the top rather than doing before even being close to it. In doing so they gave up multiple first round picks and committed 20+ million per year to him. It was the type of boneheaded move (one among many) that's typified the franchise over the last 3+ decades.

Mack was a great player but there was NOTHING to suggest the roster (at the time) was good enough, or close enough to competing, to make that kind of move.

Reactions: mustangcy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
That's not even the worst move they made.

IMO the worst move of the last several seasons was the trade for Khalil Mack. While it made the 2018 season possible, it was the type of move you do to put yourself OVER the top rather than doing before even being close to it. In doing so they gave up multiple first round picks and committed 20+ million per year to him. It was the type of boneheaded move (one among many) that's typified the franchise over the last 3+ decades.

Mack was a great player but there was NOTHING to suggest the roster (at the time) was good enough, or close enough to competing, to make that kind of move.

They really, really believed Mitch Trubisky was the ONE.

Think about that.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013

The McCaskeys do know what they are doing. Their number one priority is to make money, and as long as they are doing that it is a success. Winning isn’t important to them. The same was true in Cincy and Arizona until the old men stepped aside and let the younger generation take control. That happened in Detroit and look how much better that franchise is doing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron