2021 “Herbies” On ESPN

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Saw the preseason edition of the “herbies” last night. Some of our guys (Mike Rose, Brock Purdy, Breece Hall) got recognized as nominees (which was nice) but the awards always went to others. Funny that Charlie Kolar got no recognition at the tight end position at all. Also got the impression that they love, love, love Oregon (yet I really didn’t see much footage of the Fiesta Bowl game).

The highlight and lowlight was when they brought in Chris “The Bear” Fallica. Chris was representing ISU with a beautiful I State helmet on the bookcase behind him (along with an old Rutgers helmet, which, as a kid that grew up a few miles away from there, was pretty cool to see, too). Well, it soon became too much for Herbstreit and Rece Davis to keep their mouths shut and started giving Chris crap about it. Davis said that ISU was going to have to show a bit more to make him a believer, and then they both said to circle back to them if Iowa State can beat Iowa this year.

It’s so nice to see The Bear give ISU so much love. I don’t know how he became a fan but he is, and not just a bandwagon guy. Thanks Bear!!

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
Saw the preseason edition of the “herbies” last night. Some of our guys (Mike Rose, Brock Purdy, Breece Hall) got recognized as nominees (which was nice) but the awards always went to others. Funny that Charlie Kolar got no recognition at the tight end position at all. Also got the impression that they love, love, love Oregon (yet I really didn’t see much footage of the Fiesta Bowl game).

The highlight and lowlight was when they brought in Chris “The Bear” Fallica. Chris was representing ISU with a beautiful I State helmet on the bookcase behind him (along with an old Rutgers helmet, which, as a kid that grew up a few miles away from there, was pretty cool to see, too). Well, it soon became too much for Herbstreit and Rece Davis to keep their mouths shut and started giving Chris crap about it. Davis said that ISU was going to have to show a bit more to make him a believer, and then they both said to circle back to them if Iowa State can beat Iowa this year.

It’s so nice to see The Bear give ISU so much love. I don’t know how he became a fan but he is, and not just a bandwagon guy. Thanks Bear!!

The guy is smarter than Rece and Herbstreit put together. I don't know how he puts up with their crap

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Had a discussion with a Hawkeye fan yesterday who goes in on some ISU season tickets with a friend and roots for ISU too. He said he actually hopes the ISU beats Iowa this year because ISU is setup to have a great season and that they need the CyHawk game worse than Iowa does this year if they want a chance to make the CFP. I'm sure he's in a small minority of Hawk fans that would openly say they would be OK with ISU winning the game as I am sure there are plenty that hope they wreck us and that loss hurts our chances.

Just shows how even with our success last year and all we have returning that we still have to go out there and prove it to the rest of the country that we are the real deal. We don't have much margin of error to slip up this season, can't have a K-State bite us like they sometimes do because there could even be a scenario out there where we run the table and lose in the Big 12 championship and even with 1 loss still possibly be on the outside looking in. We definitely can't lose to OU twice this year but losing any other game and losing at least 1 to OU and I think it puts us in a tough spot for the CFP because it would be tough to get 2 Big 12 teams in no matter how you look at it.

Reactions: NobodyBeatsCy

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013

Oregon had a young team last year with talent. They probably have more room for improvement than ISU. The comments they made about wait and see on ISU fit Oregon better after playing Ohio State. Trolling is their profession.

Reactions: NobodyBeatsCy

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I watched the herbies for the first time last year and was very disappointed in the content. It felt like an advertisement for Ohio State and their players. He lost all credibility that he had left, which wasn't much btw.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Rece Davis takes every opportunity he can to try to rain on The Process.
Iowa State fans have called him out in the past and his thin skin won't allow him to 'jump on the bandwagon' as The Bear put it. Herbie at least looked like he was having some fun with The Bear and his Cyclone fandom.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Herbie and Rece can't root for ISU, because it doesn't fit the ESPN narrative that the H8 have no value. As soon as they start showing love to ISU, it means that they have value, and ESPN cant have that...
Agreed but I think Herbie and Rece are just kind of assbags though. I don't plan on any love from them.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
I don’t understand the doublespeak of Oregon. On one hand, our Fiesta Bowl win is scrutinized because we played Oregon in Covid year. On the other hand, now Oregon is #11 and posed for a big year. They had 5 guys drafted last spring. What am I missing?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You guys sure get butthurt over things from people and a company that you claim to not pay attention too.

It's commentary, if you don't take it too serious you'll enjoy it more.

I know all of us on CF are huge homers but you have to realize there is a huge segment of college football fans who aren't believers yet. Think back to when Boise was on their run, many on this board weren't believers despite them beating numerous top teams over and over (including OU in the Fiesta Bowl), it's the same thing.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
You guys sure get butthurt over things from people and a company that you claim to not pay attention too.

I know all of us on CF are huge homers but you have to realize there is a huge segment of college football fans who aren't believers yet. Think back to when Boise was on their run, many on this board weren't believers despite them beating numerous top teams over and over (including OU in the Fiesta Bowl), it's the same thing.
I didn’t come here to be rational ;)

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA

I don’t see how anything I wrote can be translated to “butthurt”. It was more just commentary of what I watched, which I’m allowed to do. I also never said I don’t pay attention to ESPN. It’s kind of hard not to, if you’re interested in college football.

If being an alum of my school makes me a homer, so be it. I’m kind of invested in the place

Reactions: RezClone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I don’t see how anything I wrote can be translated to “butthurt”. It was more just commentary of what I watched, which I’m allowed to do. I also never said I don’t pay attention to ESPN. It’s kind of hard not to, if you’re interested in college football.

If being an alum of my school makes me a homer, so be it. I’m kind of invested in the place

I never said being a homer was bad, I am too, but I can appreciate that people outside of Cyclone fans want to see us prove it and not just be a flash in the pan.

And I wasn't specifically referring to you for the butthurt or I won't watch ESPN comments, more of the people who responded in this thread.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

That BSU Fiesta Bowl win is the most fun non-ISU games I've ever seen. Even better than Christian McCaffery v Iowa.

indycyclone

Sep 10, 2012
Avon, IN

No butthurt here, could honestly care less what ESPN or any National Analyst says. It is more a commentary on the whole ESPN / CFB situation. They (ESPN) are going to say whatever fits the narrative that they want to promote.

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020

This doesn't apply in this situation. Rece has enthusiastically rooted against us going back to last year and Herbstreit has peddled Campbell leaving pretty hard in the past. Not to mention they work for a company that tried to bury our conference

• Dumb
Reactions: I@ST1 and isufbcurt

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
giphy.gif

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Herbie and Rece are not worth your time watching them. They are B1G homers and total douche canoes.

ESPN, Texas, and OU: F**K all y'all

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY