2019 Women's World Cup

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
From Forbes:

News today that France earned $38 million from FIFA for winningsoccer's World Cup in Russia, while the women's champion in Francethis summer will earn just $4 million, has prompted outrage.

The total prize money for the Women's World Cup in France this July will be $30 million compared with total prize money of $440 million for the men's teams at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

“The difference between the men’s and women’s prize money is ridiculous,” Tatjana Haenni, who oversaw women’s soccer for FIFA before stepping down in 2017, said, according to the Associated Press. “It’s really disappointing the gap between the men’s and women’s World Cups got bigger. It sends the wrong message.”

Nonsense. When viewed appropriately—based on how much money they generate—women actually make more than men.

As Dwight Jaynes pointed out four years ago after the U.S. women beat Japan to capture the World Cup in Vancouver, there is a big difference in the revenue available to pay the teams. The Women's World Cup brought in almost $73 million, of which the players got 13%. The 2010 men's World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which 9% went to the players.

The men still pull the World Cup money wagon. The men's World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
From Forbes:

News today that France earned $38 million from FIFA for winningsoccer's World Cup in Russia, while the women's champion in Francethis summer will earn just $4 million, has prompted outrage.

The total prize money for the Women's World Cup in France this July will be $30 million compared with total prize money of $440 million for the men's teams at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

“The difference between the men’s and women’s prize money is ridiculous,” Tatjana Haenni, who oversaw women’s soccer for FIFA before stepping down in 2017, said, according to the Associated Press. “It’s really disappointing the gap between the men’s and women’s World Cups got bigger. It sends the wrong message.”

Nonsense. When viewed appropriately—based on how much money they generate—women actually make more than men.

As Dwight Jaynes pointed out four years ago after the U.S. women beat Japan to capture the World Cup in Vancouver, there is a big difference in the revenue available to pay the teams. The Women's World Cup brought in almost $73 million, of which the players got 13%. The 2010 men's World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which 9% went to the players.

The men still pull the World Cup money wagon. The men's World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women's World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

So now I'm thoroughly confused. What kind of TV ratings do the two get?

If way more people watch the men, and the men bring in a ton more revenue, then they should be paid more.... period.

It doesn't matter who wins and who doesn't. That's what people fail to understand. Yes, the women are a lot better than our men, but unfortunately that means nothing in terms of who should get paid more. It all comes down to who brings in the most money.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I just assumed they were talking getting equal to the US men’s pay.
Is how much they get paid proportional to prize money brought in somehow? I'm not privy to how they're paid for international duty.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Boom! That's all she wrote then. Absolutely no reason they shouldn't make at least the same, but actually probably more according to that article.

It's all about the money brought in. That's why WNBA players have no case at all to make what the NBA players do.

Typically, the women play more games per year than the men, thus total revenue is higher. I'm all for the women getting paid, but there are a lot of different factors involved. The women collectively bargained to get a salary type structure because they don't earn as much with their club teams.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Typically, the women play more games per year than the men, thus total revenue is higher. I'm all for the women getting paid, but there are a lot of different factors involved. The women collectively bargained to get a salary type structure because they don't earn as much with their club teams.

This is spot on. It gets tricky when you compare compensation numbers because the men get paid a per game bonus for national team appearances which is higher than the women. But the women who play for the national team have their annual salaries paid by USSF and not their clubs along with per game bonuses. It’s a way to help subsidize the NWSL and it’s clubs while also supporting the women who play for the USWNT.

It’s going to get tricky in the future because as more major European clubs get on board with women’s soccer (Real Madrid just announced they are adding a women’s team) they are going to be able to pay more and attract more talent to their squads. An honest look at the NWSL tells you they just can’t compete with the likes of Lyon, Barcelona, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, etc. when it comes to investment in the squad. US Soccer needs to make sure it doesn’t become too parochial or I think there’s a chance we get overtaken by European teams. 7 of the 8 quarter finalists this tournament were European nations.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I’m not woke on this US Soccer pay thing. My brothers and sisters out on them streets don’t have any sympathy for these millionarios fighting over who should be more millionaire than who.

I don't think many of these women outside of Alex Morgan are millionaires.

Cyguy1984

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2018
Take the time to read the entire referenced article (the WSJ one)...not the cnbc one which takes the quotes out of context and cherry picks to build the narrative. The study that the WSJ did showed that the commingling of sponsorships and tv revenue made it difficult to determine the value....but then went on to say that men's get higher veiwership. So it doesn't take a PhD to see that they generate more value in the sponsorships and tv revenues.

It doesn't support the gender pay gap narrative of cnbc, so they (author Abigail) chose to pick the quotes that did

• Informative

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Cliff notes on the lawsuits?

There's Hope Solo demanding that USOC investigate the federation via the Stephens act, which is supposed to protect amateurs' interest. This was filed shortly after Cordiero was elected, Hope Solo did run for federation president.

There's the equal pay lawsuit of course, there's a Hope Solo one and a USWNT one, that's kinda stuck because the players want them together instead of apart, the federation doesn't

The most important one is kind of a 2 parter, a bunch of independent clubs, NY Cosmos, and Miami FC have brought a case to the international court of arbitration of sports called CAS, it includes SUM which owns MLS and has a relationship with the fed. There's also a lawsuit with the fed in the federal courts currently in discovery right now, I think part of it hinges on the results of the CAS case, which seems to be done but is currently sealed from what I understand. It's an antitrust case

There's one more where the guys who run the International Champions Cup are suing because they're not allowed to host another league's game here, I'm not talking about La Liga, which they tried and everyone said no, I'm talking about an Ecuadorian league game. (Everyone said no, anyone with half a brain should realize that if this rules in favor of the ICC guys, it'll be that much harder for Pro/Rel to happen especially since they may have to compete with other nations' league games)

• Informative

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
From Forbes:

Of course, for the US men, they would have to actually make the World Cup to share in the revenue...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Seems the easiest thing to do is tie it to revenue. The women say they generate more revenue, therefore they should get more than the men. If it’s tied to Rev then nobody can complain much and they just need to find away to increase their take.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I don't think many of these women outside of Alex Morgan are millionaires.

Well the Ertz gal is married to Zach Ertz of the Philadelphia Eagles. So we can also assume she is a millionaire through marriage.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
The one thing I will say is that I think this is different than a NBA/WNBA thing, because it is the national team. There is a case to be made that it makes sense to do equal pay, especially if they are being paid directly by the federation.

That said, I agree with those that say tie it to revenue. Equal work shouldn't have equal pay if the revenue isn't the same. I'm sorry that just doesn't make sense. In tennis, the women do drive just as much in ticket sales and TV viewership, in some cases they do better. They have equal prize money at all of the majors. And that makes perfect sense and it would be straight up sexism, because the ticket prices are the same in tennis and many times the TV ratings are higher for the women.

Let's say I work for a large corporation with two divisions. One brings in more revenue than the other. You're saying that because my division doesn't bring in as much revenue, I should make less than my counterpart at the other division, all other things being equal?

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
The one thing I will say is that I think this is different than a NBA/WNBA thing, because it is the national team. There is a case to be made that it makes sense to do equal pay, especially if they are being paid directly by the federation.

That said, I agree with those that say tie it to revenue. Equal work shouldn't have equal pay if the revenue isn't the same. I'm sorry that just doesn't make sense. In tennis, the women do drive just as much in ticket sales and TV viewership, in some cases they do better. They have equal prize money at all of the majors. And that makes perfect sense and it would be straight up sexism, because the ticket prices are the same in tennis and many times the TV ratings are higher for the women.
Eh, I disagree with tying it to revenue because it’s the national team. I’d agree if it was a discussion between mls and the nwsl, but I think that if you’re playing for the national soccer team it should be the same.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: moores2