2012 AVCA Regional Awards.....Some love for ISU in Central Region

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Those awards were pretty predictable. Does anyone know who's projected to be in Alison Landwehr's position next year? That has me a little worried.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Hudson and Malloy is the popular theory. Probably trying some version of a 6-2, although I could see that we may end up just using Hudson.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
Yea Hudson, from what I've seen, looks like a pretty good setter. But Malloy isn't bad, so you never know.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Hudson would be a different look, she is a good deal shorter than Landwehr and probably wouldn't be as effective with that change of direction Landwehr uses, whatever you call it.

I should probably add that Malloy was having trouble with her passing in the first two matches of this tourney. At least I heard that comment from CJL.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Goetz is also listed as a setter/DS, but at 5'6 I don't see her being our setter. It looks like from Malloy's HS stats that she came out of a 6-2? From her bio - averaged 4.20 kills per set, 4.70 digs per set and 6.10 assists per set as a senior

Maybe I'll go do some more digging, but that looks like she was playing a full 6 rotations to me.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Malloy certainly has the talent, but it would take lots of work. She was also good as an outside hitter. Perhaps that is why she did so well for that stretch, she is very versatile. We were really fortunate to get her out of Texas. CJL says she has an extreme work ethic, and therefore my guess is that if CJL thinks they would be served best with Malloy as setter, she will turn her into a setter. I can see why that would increase the Cyclones offensive abilities. That is why I have gotten to like volleyball so much, it is face paced and the strategy is very important.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
a 6-2 offense with Malloy playing all six positions, and Hudson just playing back row? Could be interesting. I hope the falloff from Landwehr doesn't annihilate us.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
That would be interesting if they decide to go the route of turning Malloy into a full-time setter. I think she could do it. Her HS volleyball team won something like 3 state championships? She's taller than Landwehr and was ranked #35 - Landwehr was in the low 20's, so they are similar quality players. We'll likely know by the time spring matches come around.

It's funny, because I thought we were in trouble after we lost Manns, and look how good Landwehr has become. Same with Mass - and Hahn may actually outdo her. Same with Henson - then Carly exploded into an amazing talent, left, and now we have Hurtt/Bigz. That's part of turning a good program into a great one - being able to consistently stay at that high level even when you lose great players. You replace them with more great players!

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Malloy may be too good of a hitter to have her be the regular setter. When Taylor Knuth subs for Alison for more net presence once in a while late in a game, Hudson has taken over setting duties. She seems to be the one getting some experience the latter half of the season. It would be hard to bet against CJL when it comes to developing an all-Big 12 setter.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I think it will depend upon whether CJL wants Hudson in the front row, or would we be better with a form of the 6-2 where Malloy is the setter when she is in the back, while Hudson rotates in when Andie is on the front row. Not only do we keep a dangerous front line, we would have some options at setting when both are in.

Then again, Hudson does seem to have some hops in spite of her height as demonstrated by the backwoods spike she as hit a few times this year.

Last edited:

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Malloy may be too good of a hitter to have her be the regular setter. When Taylor Knuth subs for Alison for more net presence once in a while late in a game, Hudson has taken over setting duties. She seems to be the one getting some experience the latter half of the season. It would be hard to bet against CJL when it comes to developing an all-Big 12 setter.

In a 6-2 offense, Malloy doesn't set when she's front row. She's one of three hitters, plus a setter from the back row, most likely Hudson opposite Malloy. Then have another outside sub for Hudson when she's rotating into the front row.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
how would a 6-2 affect subbing? I guess I don't know how close to the limit we come now.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
How does IPFW end up in the central region?

their conference, I believe. I saw that both Dakota's and some other smaller midwest schools are in their conference as well. Probably about how like WVU is in the midwest region and Nebby is in the mideast.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
their conference, I believe. I saw that both Dakota's and some other smaller midwest schools are in their conference as well. Probably about how like WVU is in the midwest region and Nebby is in the mideast.

Ah, that is it. Wasn't thinking about it far enough.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
a 6-2 offense with Malloy playing all six positions, and Hudson just playing back row? Could be interesting. I hope the falloff from Landwehr doesn't annihilate us.

Though I remember when were were thinking this when Manns left too. A lot of people didn't think Landwehr was up for the shoes either.

Coach was a setter. I am sure whomever the setter is will be just fine. I do think though the 62 and Hudson back row is probably a consideration. Like have a tall setter for blocking more than anything.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron