***#19 #23 Iowa vs ISU***

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
First thing I noticed in the game notes is the line-up which has Bridget Carleton starting. If she is near 100%, that could be huge. Just being on the court she makes everyone better. We have a lot of talent, but it doesn't seem to me that we have yet jelled and Iowa must be seen as a favorite, except for Hilton Magic which is very alive. If we have fire in the belly we can defend and score. I like our chances at post with Bry and Mere over 6'3" Coley who is averaging 10 pts and 6 boards. Disterhoft 6' at 16 pts is their top scorer and her defense will be a factor - typically someone else will step up for a big game and I hope we have multiple people who feel the Magic. Someone will have to man up on Kastanek who is shooting 47% from 3.

I like this passage from their notes.
"Iowa is the only team in the Big Ten, and one of 10 in NCAA Division I women’s basketball, to qualify forthe NCAA Tournament in each of the last eight years. Thereare 349 Division I teams."
Yes, we're one of the ten and we've been in the last nine. Go State!!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We have a lot of talent, but it doesn't seem to me that we have yet jelled and Iowa must be seen as a favorite, except for Hilton Magic which is very alive.

I don't see that at all - Iowa no longer has Logic, Dixon, and Doolittle. How can they be the "favorite" at Hilton?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Because they still have a lot of talent and are currently ranked, and we have three losses.
We have a ton of talent too, the losses of Williamson and Moody aren't nearly as significant as what Iowa incurred, and we are at Hilton. Plus revenge for loss at Carver-Hawkeye last year.
Good lord, when was the last time we lost to Iowa at home anyway? We have to be the favorite, IMO.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Will be an interesting game and a good test for the team. At Iowa I would be thinking loss, at ISU maybe it's a toss up or at least a competitive loss. Iowa lost players from a very good team but have added some gals that are very highly ranked. We are not currently regarded as the best team in the state as we were ten years ago. With their recent recruiting and success Iowa isn't likely to roll back.

We have some total blowout losses like those in Cancun but bounced back with a pretty good game at UNI. ISU has potential but doesn't amount to much until we start showing we can play with and beat real P5 teams.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
A victory tonight would do wonders for the spirit of this team due to the ranking of the Iowa team. From what I've seen so far I have my doubts, but that doesn't keep me from rooting for them. I know home court does make a big difference sometimes, especially in a rivalry. I am surprised that Carleton may play tonight. Due to the nature of her injury I would have thought this would be a little too early for her. If she can that would spike the kool-ade a little. I plan to watch (Cytv) . Hope my pea brained mind doesn't forget.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
We should be the favorite and have the talent. But for some unknown reasons and some known ones (injury), we have not really put it together as a team yet. Strong individual performance from one or two players will not beat good teams like Iowa. This team has not shot as well as it should given past performance and expected improvement. This team needs better consistent defense but that may have been expected.

I hate to say it but I'm leaning to Iowa as the favorite and really hope I'm proven wrong. Our entire team has to come ready to play to win (if we play like we're trying not to lose, it will be a rough night).

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Have seen a couple players from Iowa in person. Carly Mohns(SO) and Megan Gustafson(FR). Mohns played for a school that's in my high school's conference and I saw Gustafson at an AAU tournament last year. They're both great players, but won't see much time off the bench in a close game.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Bill says Carleton will play - not starting - may be limited on account of conditioning and timing. TT will start - hope she is 100%

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Nice to see the student section populated tonight. Good job- now be loud!
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    997.7 KB · Views: 1,313

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
These Iowa jerseys look a million times better than the men's ones they use. Whoever thought a white outline of gold text and numbers was a good idea should be fired by Nike.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Well the scorekeeper hasn't been overworked. 2 point lead 1st qt. Iowa does not look like top 25 to me yet.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Halftime. 5 pt lead for the dirty birds. Played them nip and tuck till the 2 min mark and let it get away.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just pulled the HDMI plug from the laptop to the big TV to check in and see who is watching/posting.

Our offense is not Big 12 ready. :sad:

I blame the color commentator. Who is that guy? :jimlad:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Anyone else see travels and fouls not being called? Or is it just our section?