***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Meh. I'm not going to hold a kid's feet to the fire over stuff like that. Sometimes you get an opportunity that you didn't even know you wanted until it's in front of you. And even if the only motivation was the size of the payday, so what? That's how the world works.
Agreed. Many people would have their head turned at the opportunity to get paid to play in LA for a couple of years. Cronin will know how to use Kyle and hopefully maximize his talent.
I am pretty confident ISU prioritized Jefferson for the last post position anyway so good for Kyle.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Meh. I'm not going to hold a kid's feet to the fire over stuff like that. Sometimes you get an opportunity that you didn't even know you wanted until it's in front of you. And even if the only motivation was the size of the payday, so what? That's how the world works.
I don't blame him. Just knew it was going to be said.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Maybe a stupid question but here goes...

Otz says when looking at the portal “What we’re always looking for is guys who are hardworking, high character and self-aware"

Now how is he going to know all that about a player in such a short period of time? Unless he's looking at guys he's already gotten to know back in high school?

I mean you can get a feel for skill, effort and attitude from game film. But what he describes is personality traits.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Agreed. Many people would have their head turned at the opportunity to get paid to play in LA for a couple of years. Cronin will know how to use Kyle and hopefully maximize his talent.
I am pretty confident ISU prioritized Jefferson for the last post position anyway so good for Kyle.

Some scuttlebutt that it was an uphill battle to get Kyle.

It’s a good thing we got Jefferson. I’m hoping Watson takes a big leap and gives us some of what Hadley would have provided

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Otz says when looking at the portal “What we’re always looking for is guys who are hardworking, high character and self-aware"

Now how is he going to know all that about a player in such a short period of time? Unless he's looking at guys he's already gotten to know back in high school?

I mean you can get a feel for skill, effort and attitude from game film. But what he describes is personality traits.
Connections with their current or former coaches and also Otz and other coaches can smell the ******** from a mile away. When they meet with these guys in person or even in a zoom call, they're able to tell very quickly by the answers they give whether or not they'll be the right fit.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

I think the bolded part is true, but is also more than just players he knew from high school.

Looking at the previous transfers into the program, the vast majority of them have had significant connections to Otz and the staff. Many of them are guys who were recruited or at least scouted by Otz or staff at previous junctures (Jefferson, Heise, Gilbert). Some played with other current or former Iowa State players (Jackson and Chatfield both were on Wazzu's 20/21 roster with Kunc). Then there are other random connections through networks of high school or juco coaches that Otz knows or trusts (Jaren Holmes is an example, though I forget his exact connection from HS).

I think Otz generally builds out a larger network of people he trusts, made up of HS/juco/college coaches, plus former players and anyone else connected to basketball. I'm sure he's good at evaluation, too, but I imagine he leans on that network to give more information on a lot of players to decide whether they should be top targets.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I feel that last year's NCAA results is proof that the B12 was a bit overrated. The preseason rankings for next season are the result of the metric manipulation that the B12 was doing last season.
Jamal Shead getting hurt was a big factor. They make the title if that doesn't happen and they would've matched up very well with UCONN's athleticism much better than Purdue did.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Browsing Nebraska message board, and apparently the UCLA momentum has been building for a bit.
200w.gif

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Reports vary, but I heard a rumor that William Kyle wore a baggy shirt during a zoom call.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I would love it if one of the Pac 12 teams comes in and wins the Big 10.

I wonder how much having to fly across the country 2-3 times per month is going to hold back those West Coast schools in the Big Ten. Los Angeles to Newark-Liberty isn't a short haul.

• Agree
Reactions: Ankency

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I feel that last year's NCAA results is proof that the B12 was a bit overrated. The preseason rankings for next season are the result of the metric manipulation that the B12 was doing last season.
You had Houston with a rash of injuries and then the big one in Shead and Roberts wasn't 100%.
Kansas lost McCullar and read recently Dickinson wasn't 100% either the last month of the year.
Lipsey wasn't 100% for a long time.
Baylor- Langston Love was injured.
Those are your top 4 teams and if all were completely healthy there would have been different tournament results. Especially Houston. They were the one team if fully healthy I think could have taken UCONN.

It wasn't metric manipulation. 1) Kansas and Baylor played really good non-cons. 2) Even if you play a bad team at home it isn't going to help your metrics unless you completely dominate them and the teams that completely dominate them are usually good teams.

It is a stupid talking point brought up by people who didn't know what they were talking about.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron