***2024 Minnesota Vikings***

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Stick with the #11. Definitely don’t trade 2025 pick. Darnold is the QB #1 going in. He does have skills and was a Top 3 pick not long ago. I’m thinking a QB might fall. And if not, Penix or Nix will be there at #23. Trading up and mortgaging the future rarely works. Catch the falling star.

Reactions: joefrog

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Stick with the #11. Definitely don’t trade 2025 pick. Darnold is the QB #1 going in. He does have skills and was a Top 3 pick not long ago. I’m thinking a QB might fall. And if not, Penix or Nix will be there at #23. Trading up and mortgaging the future rarely works. Catch the falling star.
I don't think Darnold will be that bad. People need to realize what a dumpster fire the Jets were when he was there. They made the current version of the Jets look like the Steelers or Packers in terms of organizational competency. Then he goes to Carolina that was in a huge disfunctional mess because he wanted to start.

The 49ers reboot gave him some exposure to a competent, if not great organization for the first time. Unfortunately, I think this is just the typical Vikings move, where they'll win 7-8 games and never get a top QB.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Really haven't been impressed by any of the QBs we can trade up for, but I do think they need to draft a QB. I'm not against staying put and grabbing Penix. KFan (mn sports radio) acted like there might be some smoke with the Atlanta tampering. One punishment may be that the Vikes and Falcon have to swap 8 and 11 picks. I agree with their speculation that 8 and 23 plus a mid-round pick 2025 may be enough to move up without giving too much like another 1st in 2025.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Really haven't been impressed by any of the QBs we can trade up for, but I do think they need to draft a QB. I'm not against staying put and grabbing Penix. KFan (mn sports radio) acted like there might be some smoke with the Atlanta tampering. One punishment may be that the Vikes and Falcon have to swap 8 and 11 picks. I agree with their speculation that 8 and 23 plus a mid-round pick 2025 may be enough to move up without giving too much like another 1st in 2025.
Ain't no way they are going to make the Falcons swap picks. If anything they will make Atlanta Forfeit their first rounder, but they won't help the Vikings on the way other than everyone above them sliding up a spot.

Reactions: drmwevr08

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I’m starting to think Arnold or Verse at #11, and Penix at #23 would be a good first round for the Vikes.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I have zero interest in Penix unless he is this year's Mr Irrelevant. Not interested in Nix either. The other 4 qb's take a flyer in the 1st round and see how it goes.

Is there any smoke to the rumor of Vikes switching picks with Atlanta due the the tampering with Cousins?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I have zero interest in Penix unless he is this year's Mr Irrelevant. Not interested in Nix either. The other 4 qb's take a flyer in the 1st round and see how it goes.

Is there any smoke to the rumor of Vikes switching picks with Atlanta due the the tampering with Cousins?
Penix scares me because too many people think he won't be able to throw the ball over the middle with his arm slot.

Too many people don't think Nix will be able to throw the ball downfield. If they think his arm can improve, I guess I'd prefer Nix. There are a few QBs who's arms improved substantially after they went to the NFL (e.g. Purdy, Brees, Rodgers).

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones122

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Penix scares me because too many people think he won't be able to throw the ball over the middle with his arm slot.

Too many people don't think Nix will be able to throw the ball downfield. If they think his arm can improve, I guess I'd prefer Nix. There are a few QBs who's arms improved substantially after they went to the NFL (e.g. Purdy, Brees, Rodgers).

Penix has won everywhere he went. Penix won at Indiana. Penix had no problems at Washington. His arm strength is elite and he stretches all areas of the field. With those weapons and that arm strength they shouldn’t be able to stack the box against Aaron Jones. Penix has emerged as a leader at both Indiana and Washington. And his knowledge of the game and obsession to get better are well known. And the guy has athleticism and speed to escape.

• Agree
Reactions: Marcelason78

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az

Never happened so I'd doubt it. They could take the ATL pick but wouldn't give it to MN.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Penix has won everywhere he went. Penix won at Indiana. Penix had no problems at Washington. His arm strength is elite and he stretches all areas of the field. With those weapons and that arm strength they shouldn’t be able to stack the box against Aaron Jones. Penix has emerged as a leader at both Indiana and Washington. And his knowledge of the game and obsession to get better are well known. And the guy has athleticism and speed to escape.
I won't have a huge problem with Penix but that fault, and hearing it as frequently as I do, makes me nervous.

I won't be disappointed if they get Penix. His arm is terrific. I just wonder if Nix might be a better fit for this offense.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I won't have a huge problem with Penix but that fault, and hearing it as frequently as I do, makes me nervous.

I won't be disappointed if they get Penix. His arm is terrific. I just wonder if Nix might be a better fit for this offense.

JJ McCarthy was sheltered on an elite Michigan team. Second half against Penn State not one pass attempt as Michigan won a close game. McCarthy has never carried a team. Not much experience as a relative unknown commodity.

I’ll take Penix and the two studs drafted with the other 2 first rounders that you must give up for JJ.

Reactions: jcyclonee

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
JJ McCarthy was sheltered on an elite Michigan team. Second half against Penn State not one pass attempt as Michigan won a close game. McCarthy has never carried a team. Not much experience as a relative unknown commodity.

Whichever QB they get won't need to carry the team. With the receiving talent they have at WR and TE they just need an accurate thrower who makes good decisions and processes quickly.

Now would it be nice to have a game changer like Mahomes? Yes. Are any of the QBs in the draft close to that? Who the heck knows.

The QB position is such a crap shoot you just never know. I thought Trevor Lawrence was going to be a stud and he hasn't really done squat yet.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I see Paul Allen’s take today is the Vikes should go QB with their first round and DT in the fourth or fifth round. I was hoping for a little more of a definitive scoop.