2024-25 Roster/Rotation Additions

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
#2: Agreed - we definitely have a need for an athletic, wing player with good length and a back up defensively solid post. I think the athletic tall wing is the tougher find.

Perhaps Hansford (6’2”) could help meet that need and perhaps Williams could be a successful undersized 5.

As a poster just noted, coaching staff has found under the radar talented post players via the portal before (Natabou, Soares, and I would throw in Jordao in her junior year as another solid post portal find).

Just noting the incredible work of those who lead recruiting while trying to manage expectations. Happy to be wrong and have another amazing portal post find.
I'd be shocked if Williams doesn't out produce Bristow and Diew combined. ( not that we won't miss Bristow) we're going to get bodies. Maybe not the ones you want but if we can add at least one player with some length that can score we'll be fine. The others can just eat minutes, rebound and play D.

Reactions: ChiClone22

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
Back to back years (Soares and Notabu) our staff has found 5’s that were not really known by the general public that we had any interest until the last minute.

I would guess the staff has their eyes on a 5 that is likely under the radar.
Was Soares under the radar? IIRC she was a highly regarded recruit that had personal loyalty to Masters U because her mom went there.

Reactions: CycloneT

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I'd be shocked if Williams doesn't out produce Bristow and Diew combined. ( not that we won't miss Bristow) we're going to get bodies. Maybe not the ones you want but if we can add at least one player with some length that can score we'll be fine. The others can just eat minutes, rebound and play D.
Speaking of Diew/ can somebody explain her going to Colorado? Happy for her - but seems odd. Colorado has been good for a long time. What do they see in her that we were unable to unlock this year? She did not have a great season for us.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
Speaking of Diew/ can somebody explain her going to Colorado? Happy for her - but seems odd. Colorado has been good for a long time. What do they see in her that we were unable to unlock this year? She did not have a great season for us.
They lost a large number of contributors to graduation. They likely won’t be as good as they have been next season

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Grad program.

• Winner
Reactions: acoustimac

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I don't agree with that. It just the expectation of the talent level. Are we going to get a solid offensive presence to come play 10 to 15 minutes? No. Can we get an athletic post that can make uncontested bunnies and is willing to battle defensively? Absolutely. This type of player is out there. We found one last year.

The difference between last year and this year is Audi is now a known commodity. Any post player that would come here would likely be signing up for less than 10 minutes at the 5, thus the more likely chance of a 4/5 that could get minutes at another position.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The difference between last year and this year is Audi is now a known commodity. Any post player that would come here would likely be signing up for less than 10 minutes at the 5, thus the more likely chance of a 4/5 that could get minutes at another position.
So if you in fact read my post I can only ascertain that you believe no post currently in the portal will consider coming to Ames.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
So if you in fact read my post I can only ascertain that you believe no post currently in the portal will consider coming to Ames.

I am not saying that - just the challenge is very different from the two you mentioned since we have an established YOUNG post presence.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I am not saying that - just the challenge is very different from the two you mentioned since we have an established YOUNG post presence.
I didn't mention anyone.

I said we need an athletic forward, a post that will defend and I think Bill will add a shooter to compete for the starting SG job. The only one I'm worried about is the athletic forward.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I didn't mention anyone.

I said we need an athletic forward, a post that will defend and I think Bill will add a shooter to compete for the starting SG job. The only one I'm worried about is the athletic forward.

My bad - hit reply on wrong post - meant to reference one that mentioned Steph and Isnelle. Agree about athletic 4 would be a need,

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
If Iowa State was able to land the two noted players from the transfer portal that would be a huge win and the team would be well positioned for a conference title and strong NCAA tournament run next year.
CBF has not won an outright regular season conference title in 29 seasons and hasn't tied for 1st Place since 1999-2000. ISU hasn't gone past the Sweet 16 since 2009. I admire your optimism but opine we likely need more than Harris and Hansford to accomplish your lofty goals...

• Dumb
Reactions: TrulyCyclone

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
CBF has not won an outright regular season conference title in 29 seasons and hasn't tied for 1st Place since 1999-2000. ISU hasn't gone past the Sweet 16 since 2009. I admire your optimism but opine we likely need more than Harris and Hansford to accomplish your lofty goals...
With Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC next year, it would seem that Iowa State along with Kansas State (with Lee coming back) and Baylor would be the favorites heading into next season.

I consider getting to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament as a “strong NCAA tournament run” (banners are hung for Sweet Sixteen / Elite Eight finishes).

Both of these accomplishments would likely mean that we have success bringing in quality talent via the transfer portal. Since Iowa State has been frequently mentioned as a top 10 team for next year (ESPN, The Athletic) it seems like we would be well positioned to attract high caliber players out in f the portal to meet our needs for next season.

Harris and Hansford - along with a strong defensive post (see how I added this, Cyforce?) — would set the team up for a successful season next year. Look forward to seeing who is brought in.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Whether we do or don't will just have to come to pass. If we get some good transfers in we should be in the mix. League is NOT strong at the top, it's not like we will be fighting for the top with a bunch of Top 16 teams favored to host next March**. Will be interesting to see where we land in the pre-season predictions for the Big 12 after all of the dust settles on the portal additions.

** KSU and Baylor are the maybe traditional squad favorites with us being the upstart young "prove it" team.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
With Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC next year, it would seem that Iowa State along with Kansas State (with Lee coming back) and Baylor would be the favorites heading into next season.

I consider getting to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament as a “strong NCAA tournament run” (banners are hung for Sweet Sixteen / Elite Eight finishes).

Both of these accomplishments would likely mean that we have success bringing in quality talent via the transfer portal. Since Iowa State has been frequently mentioned in preseason polls for next year, it seems like we would be well positioned to attract high caliber players out in f the portal to meet our needs for next season.

Harris and Hansford - along with a strong defensive post (see how I added this, Cyforce?) — would set the team up for a successful season next year. Look forward to seeing who is brought in.

Agree with you mostly but there aren't any real pre-season polls yet, just ESPN click bait and internet randos trolling for attention. Without knowing who everyone is losing or adding the predictions by the yakety yak heads is sort junk talk.

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018

Texas is gone, OU is gone, Baylor is still good but took a step back when Mulkey left. K State brings Lee back but still loses a bunch. I think the Big 12 is wide open in WBB, not just for this season but the perennial top of conference.

Reactions: CY74

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
Texas is gone, OU is gone, Baylor is still good but took a step back when Mulkey left. K State brings Lee back but still loses a bunch. I think the Big 12 is wide open in WBB, not just for this season but the perennial top of conference.
I would think KSU will be favored to win. They lost Sundell and Gregory(?), but still have the twins and obv Lee coming back is huge

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
I would think KSU will be favored to win. They lost Sundell and Gregory(?), but still have the twins and obv Lee coming back is huge
When the polls come out and if KSU is the preseason favorite to win, I can understand why. Lee is a great player, although injury prone. Not sure if K State is that dominant team year after year. I don't know that they aren't either.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Gabby Gregory is done, but Serena Sundell was only a junior this season, along with the Glenn twins. I'm a big fan of Serena Sundell - she's does everything well and plays the game the right way. You can tell she's the "coach on the floor" by the interactions between she and Jeff Mittie.

I see KSU and Baylor being rated above us, plus TCU has scored a couple nice signings in the transfer portal. I wonder if Isnelle Natabou might consider rejoining her old head coach, Mark Campbell - she has undeniable athletic ability and he coaxed production from her at Sacramento State.

Reactions: ZorkClone