***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Hawkins was less than personable when they brought up not keeping Wesneski. So I'd put a lot of this on our front office as well.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Hawkins was less than personable when they brought up not keeping Wesneski. So I'd put a lot of this on our front office as well.
My guess is that conversation with Wesneski wasn’t very pleasant. The move itself was risky with how poor this bullpen has been. Was glad to see guys who technically work for the organization question the decision

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
My guess is that conversation with Wesneski wasn’t very pleasant. The move itself was risky with how poor this bullpen has been. Was glad to see guys who technically work for the organization question the decision
Brown should be the closer. He made Arraez looked bad. His slider is sharp breaking and making hitters look bad. I like Alzolay but hitters are not overwhelmed with his pitches.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Brown should be the closer. He made Arraez looked bad. His slider is sharp breaking and making hitters look bad. I like Alzolay but hitters are not overwhelmed with his pitches.
Making a list of receivers i trust in order. Neris wasn't on it.
1. Wesneski
2. Brown
3. Thompson
4. Leiter
5. Almonte

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I hope Nerris, similar to Fulmer, can eventually become a guy we can trust high leverage, but I’m just not there, yet.

Good win but I believe 2 of his outs were pretty damn hard contact and his stuff just doesn’t look great

Hell of a job from Brown tonight. Build off it

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I hope Nerris, similar to Fulmer, can eventually become a guy we can trust high leverage, but I’m just not there, yet.

Good win but I believe 2 of his outs were pretty damn hard contact and his stuff just doesn’t look great

Hell of a job from Brown tonight. Build off it
Throws way to many balls way out of the strike zone.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I know it’s early in the season but Bryant, Rizzo, Schwarber, Baez, and Heyward all have a negative WAR. Probably to be expected at this point in their careers but between the 5 of them, they are making $100 million this year. Woof!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Thought it was hilarious yesterday when they interviewed Anthony the 11 y/o that caught the ball. Told the story of him going back and forth with his loyalty during the 2016 World Series.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I know it’s early in the season but Bryant, Rizzo, Schwarber, Baez, and Heyward all have a negative WAR. Probably to be expected at this point in their careers but between the 5 of them, they are making $100 million this year. Woof!
Think of the mess the Cubs would be in had they extended Rizzo, KB, and Baez at the terms that were being rumored at the time. I don't regret the sell off one bit and probably should of happened sooner than it did. Rizzo is the only 1 of the 3 I would have been ok with keeping for a reasonable contract and he did have a 2.3 WAR in 2022 but age and the injury bug may be finally creeping up on him. Maybe the Cubs bring him back on a cheap1 year deal as a backup at the end of his career. He's still one of my all time Cubs favorites and was always a good clubhouse guy.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Canario's bomb was impressive but his defense looked shakey even though he didn't commit an error. Makes me wonder if he could be the centerpiece in acquiring a closer.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Canario's bomb was impressive but his defense looked shakey even though he didn't commit an error. Makes me wonder if he could be the centerpiece in acquiring a closer.
They said he has played very little left field so that probably factored into some of it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Brown and Wesneski have good enough stuff to be a closer.
It will be interesting to see the role Wesneski carves out. His velocity is up, but not sure it is ideal for an elite closer. I have my doubts about Alzolay as well. I like intimidating speed from a closer.

With all the MLB arm issues lately, I will be curious if we don't see new trends in staff composition. With more emphasis on relief pitchers who can throw 3-4 inning stints.

That approach could reduce innings by back-end relievers and late-season arm fatigue. And take some stress off starters who are throwing harder than may be good for long-term arm health.

A good example would be Cubs last week against Diamondbacks:
  1. Starter (Wicks) threw 4 innings
  2. Mid (Wesneski) threw 4 innings &
  3. Closer 1 inning.