Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know there is a HUGE and disgusting pay difference between Men and Women in sports today, there always has been. BUT one has to remember the amount of viewers for an NBA vs WNBA game, the number of teams, etc and it boils down to money in and money out. Even NBA isn't enormous, but WNBA is but a tiny fraction. And, the demographics for ads aren't as ideal as they are for NBA.
Look at season tickets. I saw an article about the Fever boosting ticket prices substantially when CC entered the draft. They went up to 140 from 60. Singles were going for 10 now. Im not sure what season tickets to ISU women are, but they are probably close to the new cost for the Fever.

Reactions: Jer

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Agree and disagree. The ads will continue but the issue comes if she can draw the same attention in the WNBA as in college. There really has not been an example of this happening, so odds are her popularity will fall off in that league. If the popularity drops, her endorsement deals will also follow that trend.
Las Vegas moved their game to a bigger venue and other teams are using her as a selling point for when the Fever come to town. A lot of you keep betting against the house and the house keeps winning.

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
I know there is a HUGE and disgusting pay difference between Men and Women in sports today, there always has been. BUT one has to remember the amount of viewers for an NBA vs WNBA game, the number of teams, etc and it boils down to money in and money out. Even NBA isn't enormous, but WNBA is but a tiny fraction. And, the demographics for ads aren't as ideal as they are for NBA.
Considering the NBA owns 50% of the equity in the WNBA it will be interesting to see what role they play in continuing to grow the women's game. There were a lot of positive things said about including the WNBA at the NBA all-star weekend.

But the WNBA season takes place during the summer. I suppose they think its less competitive for eye-balls on tvs? Personally I think they need to figure out a way to incorporate the two seasons together like Mens and Womens college basketball do.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Las Vegas moved their game to a bigger venue and other teams are using her as a selling point for when the Fever come to town. A lot of you keep betting against the house and the house keeps winning.
I hope she can pull it off. Once she has played each team, will the demand be there? It has not held with any other player.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Saul_T

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I personally think it's great she is creating such a big interest in women's basketball. The women deserve more attention to their sport. And it's not just CC; there are quite a few stars and rising stars still in the college ranks. The popularity of women's basketball is ready to explode, and it's been long overdue IMO

I just hope CC's on court temperament improves at the next level. Regardless, it's time to move on. CC is no longer affiliated with Iowa.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I personally think it's great she is creating such a big interest in women's basketball. The women deserve more attention to their sport. And it's not just CC; there are quite a few stars and rising stars still in the college ranks. The popularity of women's basketball is ready to explode, and it's been long overdue IMO

I just hope CC's on court temperament improves at the next level. Regardless, it's time to move on. CC is no longer affiliated with Iowa.
The one thing that could launch women's basketball (or any women's sport in general) is if women embraced it themselves and supported them. Look at arenas and stadiums for pro teams, what do you see? Predominately men at the games. My wife has season tickets with us for ISU football but spends a lot of the time on her phone looking at other things. My wife would have the CC games on during the tournament, but when I would venture in, she was on her phone or just not paying attention. This means she would never make much of an effort to support sports in general let alone womens sports. Friends of mine have said the same things about their wives.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Considering the NBA owns 50% of the equity in the WNBA it will be interesting to see what role they play in continuing to grow the women's game. There were a lot of positive things said about including the WNBA at the NBA all-star weekend.

But the WNBA season takes place during the summer. I suppose they think its less competitive for eye-balls on tvs? Personally I think they need to figure out a way to incorporate the two seasons together like Mens and Womens college basketball do.

I won't argue the point too hard with you, but between men's and women's college BB and the NBA the WNBA would have a really good chance of being lost in the rest of it.

For all the complaints about the WNBA salaries the season isn't nearly as long, the current fan support isn't there. If someone wants to write blank checks more power to them. I enjoy ISU WBB but I realize it's not paying the bills. The WNBA is a growing but still niche sport. If people don't like the money they are making the can always go get a real job and see how they like that.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I won't argue the point too hard with you, but between men's and women's college BB and the NBA the WNBA would have a really good chance of being lost in the rest of it.

For all the complaints about the WNBA salaries the season isn't nearly as long, the current fan support isn't there. If someone wants to write blank checks more power to them. I enjoy ISU WBB but I realize it's not paying the bills. The WNBA is a growing but still niche sport. If people don't like the money they are making the can always go get a real job and see how they like that.
I think this is what made the Big3 offer to CC so intriguing. If the can grow a women's division to keep those athletes stateside in the offseason so the general sports population can get to know these girls better, I think there could be a real positive impact.

Reactions: BigCyFan

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think this is what made the Big3 offer to CC so intriguing. If the can grow a women's division to keep those athletes stateside in the offseason so the general sports population can get to know these girls better, I think there could be a real positive impact.
Was it going to be a women’s division or a mixed? I thought mixed.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Like I've said she is nearing the end of her time. WNBA is not a place you go to keep celebrity status.
We will see. Her jersey sold out in minutes already. They are televising over 30 Fever games up from one last year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
WNBA revenue: 60 million

NBA revenue: 10 billion

At least that’s what I saw somewhere. Not sure about the accuracy.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Was it going to be a women’s division or a mixed? I thought mixed.
It could be. I was just saying if they had a women's division, it could carry any momentum from the WNBA season into the offseason. Both men's and women's pro basketball need an offseason hype generator like the NFL has to keep people engaged even when there are no games being played.

Reactions: BigCyFan

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Breanna Stewart and Napheesa Collier proposed starting a league for WNBA players in the off-season that is US-based, but have never heard any more about it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A 10-day NBA contract can easily be more than any yearly salary in WNBA......that is pretty crazy.
It's simple economics.
2023 ave. attendance:
WNBA 6,615
NBA 18,322
2023 ave. ticket price:
WNBA cheapest team - expensive team $24-73
NBA cheapest team - expensive team $138-$611
Reg season games:
WNBA 36
NBA 82
So an NBA team averages 2.28x as many games with 2.77x as many fans with a ticket that is 5.75 to 8.37x as expensive. So very coarsely that is $36.31 to $52.86 of team NBA ticket revenue for every dollar of team WNBA ticket revenue. And that isn't even counting the difference in ancillary revenue such as TV revenue, sponsorships, merch sales and F&B. Keep in mind that empty seats don't buy beer, hot dogs or popcorn.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron