Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I think Martin and Affolter are decent role players. Stuelke is obviously a piece they will be able to build around the next 2 years. Idk. Beyond that, not very deep. And Martin/Affolter aren't going to put the team on their backs any given night. I agree for the most part. I've never understood the hype around Marshall really either, she doesn't do a lot in the box score, but I guess she is probably their best defender.
It will be a whole new world next year when players like Affolter and Stuelke now have the pressure on them to score at a high level. The role players are not pressured to score because they defer to CC. They won't have CC next year, and I don't see anyone on that team with the mentality to score like CC.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It will be a whole new world next year when players like Affolter and Stuelke now have the pressure on them to score at a high level. The role players are not pressured to score because they defer to CC. They won't have CC next year, and I don't see anyone on that team with the mentality to score like CC.
Best thing for them is to go transfer portal and grab a whole load of players, or go the ISU route and have a freshman class take over. When you depend on one player so much, it creates a lack of aggressiveness in the other players, offense gets stagnant when that player isn't in there.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
WHO tv just had a promo on, a half hour special tonight on CC at 6:30. It's called Caitlin Clark effect, Changing the game. I'm ticked, no Wheel of Fortune tonight.
No Vanna!! That pisses me right off. Even at her age she still is way easier on the eyes than Clark ever will be!! Murph justs wants to walk tall and show off his bulge in his pants (probably just from crapping them).

• Haha
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Affolter might have that dog in her, but she's also a senior next year already so...yeah not really sure what they're gonna do unless freshman step up or they go portalling, which they failed to do this past offseason.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Affolter might have that dog in her, but she's also a senior next year already so...yeah not really sure what they're gonna do unless freshman step up or they go portalling, which they failed to do this past offseason.
Bluder will need to hit the portal for a true PG, I don't think we have anyone currently that can slide into that role, unless Guyton's back at 100% by the start of the season. Affolter will be solid, and Taylor McCabe is a shooter, she'll get her points. Looking forward to Heiden coming in, will be nice having a solid, true big in there.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Bluder will need to hit the portal for a true PG, I don't think we have anyone currently that can slide into that role, unless Guyton's back at 100% by the start of the season. Affolter will be solid, and Taylor McCabe is a shooter, she'll get her points. Looking forward to Heiden coming in, will be nice having a solid, true big in there.
A solid core between Stuelke, Affolter, and McCabe then. Iowa will be fine. They won't be elite-level like they are now with CC (obviously), but they'll still be a tournament team IMO. Probably benefit letting go of some older players in the program who are solid but limited, i.e. Molly Davis and Gabbie Marshall. Gonna look completely different next year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think Martin and Affolter are decent role players. Stuelke is obviously a piece they will be able to build around the next 2 years. Idk. Beyond that, not very deep. And Martin/Affolter aren't going to put the team on their backs any given night. I agree for the most part. I've never understood the hype around Marshall really either, she doesn't do a lot in the box score, but I guess she is probably their best defender.
Yeah Affolter and Martin are both fine role players but Marshall is not good. Also, Stuelke has gotten a lot of mileage out of Clark pulling defenders away, I can see her struggling next year if she's a focal point.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah Affolter and Martin are both fine role players but Marshall is not good. Also, Stuelke has gotten a lot of mileage out of Clark pulling defenders away, I can see her struggling next year if she's a focal point.
She was up and down throughout the regular season, really struggled earlier in the year, but she turned it on late and especially during the B1G tourney.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
You try to recruit someone to play with hero ball.
Assume you’re aware she’s going to graduate second in WBB history in assists, right? She has made stars out of several of her teammates.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Best thing for them is to go transfer portal and grab a whole load of players, or go the ISU route and have a freshman class take over. When you depend on one player so much, it creates a lack of aggressiveness in the other players, offense gets stagnant when that player isn't in there.
They have the space for one from the transfer portal. They lose Martin, Marshall, Clark, Davis, and Goodman, so they have nine coming back. They signed five in November, which takes them to 14 unless others choose to leave.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone