Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I have no idea what Pete Maravich's behavior was like on or off the court, but if my parents had taken me to see him play, I would never forget it. Clark's accomplishments stand independently of who she is as a person. As a side note, I think this is partly due to the influence of corporate money, NIL contracts, etc.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
The real double standard is for treating elite athletes differently than their colleagues. If an average player acted/behaved like Brink, LeBron, CC, etc., people would likely view their behavior negatively. But those same behaviors are viewed as acceptable simply because of their elite athleticism. That’s the real double standard not discussed enough
And high-profile players very often get star treatment from the officials.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I absolutely love CMC but I guess I’m nuts.

There are more. I didn’t even include the Akron video or at Oklahoma video.

All I ask is that we not be hypocritical as a fanbase.

Do his players behave that way?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
As other people have pointed out. You are a troll

Go away.
If it walks like a duck. acts like a duck it's a duck.

If it posts stupid sh*t, pretends to be an ISU fan, and rips ISU athletics and fans, than it is an Hawkeye fan
My post history is public. If you want go back and look at them please kindly point out where I pretend to be an ISU fan, when I rip our athletics and fans. I gave you video evidence of our own coach going crazy on officials after you called me nuts.

You can admit you don’t like it if it’s someone doing it in a different jersey. That’s fine, we all do it in some sort of way. Just don’t get mad about it if someone thinks it’s a little hypocritical.

• Dumb
Reactions: WartburgClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My post history is public. If you want go back and look at them please kindly point out where I pretend to be an ISU fan, when I rip our athletics and fans. I gave you video evidence of our own coach going crazy on officials after you called me nuts.

You can admit you don’t like it if it’s someone doing it in a different jersey. That’s fine, we all do it in some sort of way. Just don’t get mad about it if someone thinks it’s a little hypocritical.

Can you name an ISU player who has shown these behaviors consistently?

--yelling at the refs for long durations after a call or non call.
--pointing out to a few when they think a foul should be called.
--flopping on the ground after a court storm or similar and clearly uninjured.
--throwing hands up in the air after a teammate makes a mistake.
--yelling 'shut the **** up!' at someone on the sideline.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
So do you think all those arenas that normally draw less than 5,000 fans for WBB games but draw 17,000+ fans when CC comes to town are filled with parents who want their kids to see how not to conduct yourself on the court? Or are there just that many sh*tty parents around the country willingly exposing their kids to a horrible role model?
If your kids like watching basketball, they're going to see all this kind of whining and stuff from most teams. Save for the ISU WBB coaching staff, ISU is a bit of an exception. It's unavoidable these days in all types of basketball.

But CC is really bad. I respect her less because of it, but I still greatly respect the work she's put in and her competitiveness. Just like I respect Brink or Reese for their games, but dislike them as players for acting like petulant little children. Same with coaches. I don't like it when Campbell goes berzerk from time to time. It doesn't make them bad people, it's just not what I want to see out the programs I root for or in the sport as a whole.

What I wish parents would teach their kids is that for a vast majority of kids, when they start acting like that they get in their own heads, and usually turn into trainwrecks. Clark is in the tiny percentage of players that can act out like that, but 5 seconds later she's back locked in and focused. Most people can't do that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I absolutely love CMC but I guess I’m nuts.

There are more. I didn’t even include the Akron video or at Oklahoma video.

All I ask is that we not be hypocritical as a fanbase.

Using Iowa load who may be the biggest POS to walk this earth is something. You do know that numbnut got banned several times and then DM’d a bunch of us and claimed mental illness and drug problems to various ones of us.

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I specifically asked you about coaches. Like our own football coach for example who has had numerous outbursts towards refs and fans.

I’ll get a labeled hawk troll but this thread makes it out like cc is the first athlete EVER to complain or act out on the field or court.

Does Matt Campbell aspire to be a role model? If he does, I don’t think he’s ever said so.

That’s the difference.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
No it's no OK that he behaves that way.

It's not an every game thing either.

And you're using that as an example to excuse Clark's behavior.

They're not the same positions or situations within their programs.
I’m not using it to excuse her behavior because I dont think that it’s not that big of a deal. Some of the videos are not a good look (which I’ve posted in this thread) but I’ve watched enough sports in enough leagues and all levels to know she isn’t the only athlete that acts out or is even the worse.

I used it as an example to point out hypocrisy because that’s what this thread has turned into.

Last edited:

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Using Iowa load who may be the biggest POS to walk this earth is something. You do know that numbnut got banned several times and then DM’d a bunch of us and claimed mental illness and drug problems to various ones of us.
I was unaware of any of that. Honestly never seen that account on here or X I just found the videos searching “Iowa state” this morning for any new articles about the Sweet 16.

The videos are what they are but I do apologize using that users posts if he was truly that unhinged. I had no idea.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Does Matt Campbell aspire to be a role model? If he does, I don’t think he’s ever said so.

That’s the difference.
I hope so? Considering he’s the leader of the program and constantly talks about the joy he gets out of molding young men as part of his job.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I’m not using it to excuse her behavior because I i think that it’s not that big of a deal. Some of the videos are not a good look (which I’ve posted in this thread) but I’ve watched enough sports in enough leagues and all levels to know she isn’t the only athlete that acts out or is even the worse.

I used it as an example to point out hypocrisy because that’s what this thread has turned into.

This is my problem:

Clark said after the game she is aware of the fans, especially the kids, who root for her and of the larger responsibility she carries. "I think that's one of the privileges of being in the position that I am is I get to be a role model and our whole entire team gets to be role models," she says.

She goes out of her way to say she wants to be a role model for kids.

I don’t want my kids to act like that. Full stop.

If they did, they would get yanked from a game immediately. If I coached a kid that acted like that, they would get pulled immediately. There is a difference between being intense and being disrespectful. That line has been crossed with her.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I hope so? Considering he’s the leader of the program and constantly talks about the joy he gets out of molding young men as part of his job.

If you can’t see the difference between the 2 examples, I don’t know what to tell you.

One wants to be a role model to young impressionable kids, the other is coaching young adults as his job. Apples and oranges.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Help Support Us

Become a patron