Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
A coach working the official is part of their job. I guarantee you every coach will talk to the officials to try to get some calls. But there is always a line. Going "ballistic" to an official or player is unacceptable. That's crossing a line. A player telling an official "F you" is crossing the line. A player yelling in an official's face is crossing the line. Yet we are seeing more and more of this. CC and Lebron James are both guilty of crossing that line on occasion. But yet many people just don't seem to care. And the younger kids who are watching these great athletes cross the line with no repercussions then think there's nothing wrong with crossing that line

That's why Audi is so refreshing. Exceptional talent with great sportsmanship. People like her should be showcased more
It is funny that Iowa message board has thread “Angel Reese = Trash”. I don’t like Angel Reese’s antics but is Clark any better?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
A coach working the official is part of their job. I guarantee you every coach will talk to the officials to try to get some calls. But there is always a line. Going "ballistic" to an official or player is unacceptable. That's crossing a line. A player telling an official "F you" is crossing the line. A player yelling in an official's face is crossing the line. Yet we are seeing more and more of this. CC and Lebron James are both guilty of crossing that line on occasion. But yet many people just don't seem to care. And the younger kids who are watching these great athletes cross the line with no repercussions then think there's nothing wrong with crossing that line

That's why Audi is so refreshing. Exceptional talent with great sportsmanship. People like her should be showcased more
I agree with most of what you are saying. It’s not solely cc or Lebron doing it. It’s everywhere and has always been happening.

I just think to be fair you should have that same energy if someone wearing Iowa State gear does the same thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree with most of what you are saying. It’s not solely cc or Lebron doing it. It’s everywhere and has always been happening.

I just think to be fair you should have that same energy if someone wearing Iowa State gear does the same thing.

If an ISU player were running around telling refs when to call a foul and then yelling at them on the way to the huddle for several seconds or a minute or whatever later I would think they looked really bad.

Prohm seemed to let his players do a lot of talking to the other bench after a bucket and it looked ridiculous, added in that it was for really bad teams.

Push offs for shots etc happen but doing it on nearly every attempt with no acknowledgement is just wrong.

Pretty sure if she were held to the same account as other players or even close to it, she would be T'd up way more often and disqualified.

Reactions: carvers4math

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

Who said I didn’t critique ISU players who cross the line?

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
It is funny that Iowa message board has thread “Angel Reese = Trash”. I don’t like Angel Reese’s antics but is Clark any better?
Switch uniforms, They would love seeing Angel Reese the Black and Gold.

Would ISU fans love to have Clark and Reese? Talent-wise? Yep. Attitude-wise? I would hope not. I am trying to think of an Iowa State player in any sport who acted as bad as those two that ISU fans have "looked the other way" on.

I mean Iowa fans hated Niang, but I can't remember him acting like a spoiled child on the court or being a d*ck in public like Bohannon.

If you disagree, give some names of some ISU players that are/were equivalent to Clark and Reese

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and Acylum

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Switch uniforms, They would love seeing Angel Reese the Black and Gold.

Would ISU fans love to have Clark and Reese? Talent-wise? Yep. Attitude-wise? I would hope not. I am trying to think of an Iowa State player in any sport who acted as bad as those two that ISU fans have "looked the other way" on.

I mean Iowa fans hated Niang, but I can't remember him acting like a spoiled child on the court or being a d*ck in public like Bohannon.

If you disagree, give some names of some ISU players that are/were equivalent to Clark and Reese

Yeah but that one time he blew them a kiss.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So you honestly don't mind it when a player yells "f you" to an official? I know that's not CC who did that, but just curious on your standpoint of what you think is acceptable for a player say/act on the court
I'm not a fan of it but in the heat of the moment I'm not shocked that it happens and when it does I don't think it means the offending player is some kind of Disney villain.

Reactions: Tornado man

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I'm not a fan of it but in the heat of the moment I'm not shocked that it happens and when it does I don't think it means the offending player is some kind of Disney villain.
The real double standard is for treating elite athletes differently than their colleagues. If an average player acted/behaved like Brink, LeBron, CC, etc., people would likely view their behavior negatively. But those same behaviors are viewed as acceptable simply because of their elite athleticism. That’s the real double standard not discussed enough

Last edited:

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
The real double standard is for treating elite athletes differently than their colleagues. If an average player acted/behaved like Brink, LeBron, CC, etc., people would likely view their behavior negatively. But those same behaviors are viewed as acceptable simply because of their elite athleticism. That’s the real double standard not discussed enough
In 40 years of officiating, I can only think of one time I did anything close to that and it was nothing. I knew the best player on one team had four fouls. Kid on opposite team drives the lane. Two players foul simultaneously, so I could have called it on either. I chose the kid with fewer fouls so as not to foul out the best player.

Reactions: BigCyFan and Cyhig

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
In 40 years of officiating, I can only think of one time I did anything close to that and it was nothing. I knew the best player on one team had four fouls. Kid on opposite team drives the lane. Two players foul simultaneously, so I could have called it on either. I chose the kid with fewer fouls so as not to foul out the best player.
This is not related to the CC topic at all, but I think it's a funny story.

In HS, we were in a tie game coming down to the wire. I got fouled with only a few seconds left and was shooting two FTs. Ref was a super old guy. He walked up to me, hands me the ball, and says "You're welcome, but you better make these or I'm going to be late for dinner."

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Who said I didn’t critique ISU players who cross the line?
I specifically asked you about coaches. Like our own football coach for example who has had numerous outbursts towards refs and fans.

I’ll get a labeled hawk troll but this thread makes it out like cc is the first athlete EVER to complain or act out on the field or court.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I specifically asked you about coaches. Like our own football coach for example who has had numerous outbursts towards refs and fans.

I’ll get a labeled hawk troll but this thread makes it out like cc is the first athlete EVER to complain or act out on the field or court.
Nobody said FIRST, they just said WORST.

• Winner
Reactions: Tailg8er

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

Numerous?

You are nuts

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

Yes - and he crosses the line in those situations. A coach telling an official "Hey Jim - watch for that defensive holding, They are grabbing our receivers as they come out of the break" is very different than Campbell going ballistic at an official. That's what I mean by a coach working an official, though. They tell the officials what they are seeing so the official would then watch for that foul more closely. That's what nearly every single coach will do. And it's part of their job

Edit: Nobody has said CC is the first EVER to act childish. And we have mentioned several other star athletes who act similarly. CC's antics/outbursts do seem to occur far more frequently than other star athletes, though

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Look espn has a reporter only covering her. The ncaa and espn don’t want Iowa out. I’ll be shocked if they don’t get to to the championship game.
Didn't look at opponent, but i always figured this team would get bounced in around the sweet 16. Don't play as a team, just a circus show.

Reactions: CycloneOE