NCAA / NIT Idea

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I've been reading about the several teams who declined NIT invites - which I think is a bummer. I've also seen a lot of talk about NCAA tourney expansion.

So here's my hair-brained idea to address both...

NCAA starts with 60 teams, plays 2 games & gets to 15 remaining teams.

Simultaneously (starting earlier), the NIT starts at 32 (as it does now) & plays until it has a champion.

The NIT champion becomes the 16th team in the NCAA sweet sixteen & the tournament completes as it typically does.

NIT becomes relevant again. NCAA sort-of gets its expansion, but not a full move to 128.

It's not a well thought-out idea, but could be interesting.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That's taking something simple and making it hard. Unluckily I can see the ncaa doing it in the never ending quest for more dollars.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I've been reading about the several teams who declined NIT invites - which I think is a bummer. I've also seen a lot of talk about NCAA tourney expansion.

Simultaneously (starting earlier), the NIT starts at 32 (as it does now) & plays until it has a champion.

The NIT champion becomes the 16th team in the NCAA sweet sixteen & the tournament completes as it typically does.

NIT becomes relevant again. NCAA sort-of gets its expansion, but not a full move to 128.

Expand ncaa and create a losers bracket.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I like the concept. There are so many teams left out that are better than the Automatic Qualifiers of weak leagues. This would definitely encourage teams to accept an NIT bid. And it would make the NIT far more interesting. :cool:

Would the NIT winner still be able to call themselves "national champion?" :rolleyes:

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
That's taking something simple and making it hard. Unluckily I can see the ncaa doing it in the never ending quest for more dollars.
I actually thought it might be the easiest approach. Both tournaments, management, & infrastructure already exist. Keep everything essentially the same except the NIT champ folds into the NCAA sweet 16.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia

I like the thought of this, however I don’t like that they would become a sweet 16 team to start. Now if somehow they could start earlier and the final 4 of NIT match up in the playin games that would be cool

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Why? Is the point of the NCAA tournament to determine a national champion, or just play more basketball? Cause, if the point is to determine a champion, OU or Pitt or Indiana State isn’t going to be cutting down the nets this year.

I’d prefer to see a smaller tournament with a losers bracket to play back to a NC than expand it more. The single elimination six game schedule already doesn’t guarantee the best teams. Why make it more random?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Sounds like added punishment for the winner of the NIT. Not every team in the NCAA is going to be better than someone going to the NIT, but under your proposal, the NIT winner is run ragged only to get a bottom seed at the Dance. That would be like kissing your sister (after taking her to prom).

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I like the concept. There are so many teams left out that are better than the Automatic Qualifiers of weak leagues. This would definitely encourage teams to accept an NIT bid. And it would make the NIT far more interesting. :cool:

Would the NIT winner still be able to call themselves "national champion?" :rolleyes:

The system already favors sh!tty P5 teams, give me the mid majors and auto qualifiers, they are the ones that make the tournament what it is. Adding more crappy B1G and ACC teams adds zero value.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Wouldn't they just expand the big dance to 96? Top32 (the current obvious non-bubble teams) get a first round bye. The other 64 (seeds 9-24) play a round of games that bring the field back to 64 and then proceed. Essentially, the NIT gets folded into the big dance.
I do like the idea of double elimination. While that doubles the number of games (and adds tons of revenue), it doesn't add teams which is the apparent issue that "needs" addressed.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Sounds like added punishment for the winner of the NIT. Not every team in the NCAA is going to be better than someone going to the NIT, but under your proposal, the NIT winner is run ragged only to get a bottom seed at the Dance. That would be like kissing your sister (after taking her to prom).
Probably True.

I was thinking about teams like Oklahoma, Pitt, & St.Johns this year. If they won the NIT & had 2-3 days rest, could they compete at a Sweet 16 level?

Oklahoma vs. Purdue on a neutral court (for example) - doesn't seem so lopsided to me.

I just think it would be a bummer if the NIT disappeared, so finding some way to get it relevant again would be ideal.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
You leave West Virginia out of this.

• Funny
  • Haha
Reactions: NWICY and pourcyne

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The NIT is going to go away. It only exists out of a need for basketball content on ESPN on the nights the NCAA isn't playing. Presumably the women's game will continue to get good numbers and put that event out of its misery in short order.

Reactions: Clonefan32

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
The system already favors sh!tty P5 teams, give me the mid majors and auto qualifiers, they are the ones that make the tournament what it is. Adding more crappy B1G and ACC teams adds zero value.
I think combination of 2 is what makes it so great. Power 5 vs a Cinderella. When you get the rare 2 Cinderellas playing each other late in tournament those games seem to have less hype. There was some really good teams to miss the dance this year. St John's, Pittsburgh, and Indiana State would of been really dangerous teams in particular in my opinion.

Going to 96 or 128 is absurd and shouldn't even be entertained but I wouldn't mind a smaller expansion. Maybe 72 or 76. Start this opening round a little earlier in day add 1 to 2 games. I'd watch

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I'm against expansion in any form. Especially ones that create a weird bye system. Honestly gun to my head if we had to expand. Get rid of all post season tournaments. expand to 128. This adds just one more round. Like I said this is the only post season no other tournaments. My only issue with this is I think it diminishes the conference tournament, so you'd have to come up with a way to tie that with seeding since teams should be rewarded more for that.

Not saying I want this. I would just prefer adding another round instead of bye rounds or play in tournaments.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
They should go the complete opposite direction, with bids only going to every conference regular season and tournament champions and filling out the rest of the field/seed the tournament by highest NET. Everyone would schedule heavy in the non conference for NET purposes, the regular season and tournaments would mean everything to everyone, and the committee could be taken out into the street and shot.