2023-24 ISU WBB Season Thread

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
That's a nice article on Belanger. It's been impressive how her overall game has translated to a higher level. I figured her shooting would be solid and she have a positive impact that way. But she's been a much more well-rounded player than I think anyone expected, especially handling the ball more this season than she was probably planning on.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Nice article on our new senior.

Check out this article from Des Moines Register:

Iowa State women's basketball was the only major team to give Hannah Belanger a chance

Feel good stuff in that piece. A nice slice of her story is the details of her journey of discovery by Iowa State Staff.

We are so fortunate panning for a fleck and got a nice Gold nugget in Hannah. One thing that gets me thinking about her small school roots is watching her wipe the soles of her shoes. Many big-time recruits have great shoes do not play in "gyms" with dusty floors and never have to wipe their shoes (at least not habitually). Love that little retro habit.

Reactions: wbbnut

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
In my mind, Hannah has been one of our most clutch players, hitting big shots at really critical times.
She is still improving! She's added the jumper off the dribble and is driving a lot more recently. Her game is helping spread the floor, and we're running a lot of creative sets to get her the ball. I'm often skeptical of the offensive game plan, but our coaching has been fantastic lately, and the ladies are executing.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
That's a nice article on Belanger. It's been impressive how her overall game has translated to a higher level. I figured her shooting would be solid and she have a positive impact that way. But she's been a much more well-rounded player than I think anyone expected, especially handling the ball more this season than she was probably planning on.
Guilty. I am one who thought Belanger was a desperation portal pick-up who had a nice 3 point shot. I watched what little video I could find and saw her as short, not super fast, not athletic, and borderline BIG-XII material. Love being off in my estimate about you Hannah.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Guilty. I am one who thought Belanger was a desperation portal pick-up who had a nice 3 point shot. I watched what little video I could find and saw her as short, not super fast, not athletic, and borderline BIG-XII material. Love being off in my estimate about you Hannah.

Was sort of my take. Thought she'd be a situational player as a designated three-point shooter. She obviously proved to be much more. Pretty good feel good story for both her and the Cyclones, nice win-win. Wonder if she has any intention to finish up a masters at ISU? Would seem opportunistic as a grad transfer. I am assuming she finished her undergraduate at Truman considering all of the academic accolades in her bio.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I am assuming she finished her undergraduate at Truman considering all of the academic accolades in her bio.
The ISU student directory lists her as a senior, not a grad student. It's probably a case where she gets good grades but basketball makes it difficult to have a lot of classes in a given semester.

cincy_cy2014

Jan 19, 2023
Creme is horrible. His bracketology today doesn’t even match the Top 16 release last night by the committee. Is he projecting things changing? I have no idea the logic behind it, but he could easily plug in those 16 and work around that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Creme is horrible. His bracketology today doesn’t even match the Top 16 release last night by the committee. Is he projecting things changing? I have no idea the logic behind it, but he could easily plug in those 16 and work around that.

If he matched the committee there would be no click bait. It's just clickbait ******** from him and ESPN. A tad entertaining but not worth spending more than a minute or two perusing his prognostications. Did I mention it's mostly ********? ;)

• Agree
Reactions: gizzsdad

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
She is still improving! She's added the jumper off the dribble and is driving a lot more recently. Her game is helping spread the floor, and we're running a lot of creative sets to get her the ball. I'm often skeptical of the offensive game plan, but our coaching has been fantastic lately, and the ladies are executing.
This has been one of my favorite seasons in a long time. It has been watching everyone get to handle the ball instead of one. We have had a tendency to become very player centric the last few seasons with out the willingness to change when it wasn't working.

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
Don't think we're getting help from TCU today. Down 37-17 against West Virginia at half.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I am thrilled Em is coming back, but will it change some of the players contemplating the portal? I hope not, but players want to play.

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
It's amazing that this team with 7 of the 9 regulars who played being new this year and five being Freshmen won 12 conference games. Last year's team with all its experience won 11.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron