Bird Feeders and Bird Watching

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Indigo buntings, rose breasted grosbeaks, scarlet tanagers, gold finches, nuthatches, catbirds, bluejays, morning doves and various finches/warblers have visited the feeder in the light rain so far this am. Also a couple of wood ducks nesting in the area have been in and out of the trees today. Good day.

zumbro clones

Jan 31, 2007
Southern Minnesota
I want to put out a hummingbird feeder. I went to Menards and there were a ton of options. Does anyone recommend a certain style?
I recommend the Mason jar style with a metal base. I prefer the ones with a little stand for each feeding station so the birds can rest.

The plastic feeders don't last long. The glass Mason jars are easy to clean and fill.

Reactions: ianoconnor and Gorm

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
The B-orioles arrived about 2 weeks ago(Central Iowa) along with hummingbirds. The Orchard Orioles haven't hit the oranges, however, I've seen them around. They seem more timid. The B Orioles and the catbirds go through two oranges a day easy. The catbirds eat more of the oranges than the Orioles. I see the Red Bellied Woodpeckers eating at it too. I've even seen a Yellow Warbler on the oranges too. We are lucky to get a lot of birds including great-horned and barred owls. Our redheaded wood pecker hasn't been around yet this year. As far as squirrels, their rats with tail.

Also, I buy my feeders from Wild Birds unlimited as most of their feeders have a life time warranty. Been happy with their product and service. I buy most of my seed elsewhere.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The B-orioles arrived about 2 weeks ago(Central Iowa) along with hummingbirds. The Orchard Orioles haven't hit the oranges, however, I've seen them around. They seem more timid. The B Orioles and the catbirds go through two oranges a day easy. The catbirds eat more of the oranges than the Orioles. I see the Red Bellied Woodpeckers eating at it too. I've even seen a Yellow Warbler on the oranges too. We are lucky to get a lot of birds. Our redheaded wood pecker hasn't been around yet this year. As far as squirrels, their rats with tail.

Also, I buy my feeders from Wild Birds unlimited as most of their feeders have a life time warranty. Been happy with their product and service. I buy most of my seed elsewhere.

We saw our first oriole on April 30th but it was apparently just a scout who wanted to give us fair warning that the food should be out! The big group of them didn’t arrive until the 8th. They seem to be pretty consistent with a Mothers Day arrival.

My mom’s orioles prefer the grape jelly. But they’ll tolerate the oriole food (the orange liquid). They get pretty mad if the food happens to run out.

Reactions: Yaz

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
We saw our first oriole on April 30th but it was apparently just a scout who wanted to give us fair warning that the food should be out! The big group of them didn’t arrive until the 8th. They seem to be pretty consistent with a Mothers Day arrival.

My mom’s orioles prefer the grape jelly. But they’ll tolerate the oriole food (the orange liquid). They get pretty mad if the food happens to run out.
We used to do the jelly route but it attracted ants terribly. This is how I do it now. Works well. A small log with mechanics wire and a couple of screws/nails. Held up very well. Photo from a couple days ago.

Attachments

• 20220513_191803.jpg
    20220513_191803.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 15

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
  • Haha
Reactions: CycloneCJ

Latest posts