Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Guys couldn’t have dreadlocks, couldn’t wear hoodies, couldn’t wear hats, were told not to listen to rap music, were told to cover up their tattoos.. If your argument as to why you see no issue there is because white people can be affected by those rules too, you’re a huge part of the problem.

You know Kirk is completely tone deaf when he made the one pre-approved tweet rule days after players (some still on the team) said they felt like they couldn’t be themselves and didn’t have a voice.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Guys couldn’t have dreadlocks, couldn’t wear hoodies, couldn’t wear hats, were told not to listen to rap music, were told to cover up their tattoos.. If your argument as to why you see no issue there is because white people can be affected by those rules too, you’re a huge part of the problem.

You know Kirk is completely tone deaf when he made the one pre-approved tweet rule days after players (some still on the team) said they felt like they couldn’t be themselves and didn’t have a voice.

I don't personally think KF is outright racist, he's just so tone deaf with such a tunnel vision that his way to build and maintain a program created an outcome for racism to prevail. Seemed like he didn't realize people from all different backgrounds have different ways to express themselves beyond what he found appropriate. I think its the same thing with this whole money/pay cut issue. His tunnel vision and being tone deaf ignores how bad the look is.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't understand how this doesn't get talked about more

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't personally think KF is outright racist, he's just so tone deaf with such a tunnel vision that his way to build and maintain a program created an outcome for racism to prevail. Seemed like he didn't realize people from all different backgrounds have different ways to express themselves beyond what he found appropriate. I think its the same thing with this whole money/pay cut issue. His tunnel vision and being tone deaf ignores how bad the look is.
Part of me thinks this way but when you spit at black players, treat them completely different than white players and threaten them with your power it's hard to not say he's just a flat out racist

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
It is almost impossible to remove the racism notion because it is so outrageous to believe someone is that tone deaf.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
It is almost impossible to remove the racism notion because it is so outrageous to believe someone is that tone deaf.

Have you seen a D1 head coach? Many of them have zero life outside their methodology to win games. I think KF keeps his head down on purpose and must hope everything else will work itself out.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Have you seen a D1 head coach? Many of them have zero life outside their methodology to win games. I think KF keeps his head down on purpose and must hope everything else will work itself out.
The evidence against Kirk is pretty bad

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Yes. I played d1 athletics. Racism and intolerance were not a part of our daily routine.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The evidence against Kirk is pretty bad

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think he wakes up and says to himself how can he make the black players feel horrible and build the white players up. I just think he's so out of the loop its led to racism. Don't get me wrong, I think he should have been fired a year ago since all of this happened on his watch.....but Iowa gonna Iowa.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I guess what I'm saying is I don't think he wakes up and says to himself how can he make the black players feel horrible and build the white players up. I just think he's so out of the loop its led to racism. Don't get me wrong, I think he should have been fired a year ago since all of this happened on his watch.....but Iowa gonna Iowa.
I don't think an alcoholic wakes up and says I'm going to get loaded today and ruin my life either

I understand that you're saying but it's pretty hard to look at what he's done and say he's not racist. Maybe he doesn't want to be that way but he is

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

This is what I have been saying the whole time too. I don’t think Kirk is racist, I think he just didn’t care enough about the culture of racism and discrimination in his program even after being confronted with it because things were going well for him personally.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This is what I have been saying the whole time too. I don’t think Kirk is racist, I think he just didn’t care enough about the culture of racism and discrimination in his program even after being confronted with it because things were going well for him personally.

I suppose that attitude has led to him being racist without realizing it. We're probably all correct to some degree.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Yea but not one other program has anything like this going on. There have been isolated incidents in some programs but nearly 70 players coming forward is unprecedented. I get what you're saying but from top to bottom, Iowa let this happen. Kirk is only oblivious because he is untouchable. He didn't need to listen or make any changes until the issue jumped up and slapped him in the face.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think I was close to your way of thinking too until the press conference. When it came down to scrambled eggs, calling him a "good friend", etc.
And there's zero chance Urban didn't reach out to Kirk.

Those points would be the tough ones to swallow if I was an Iowa fan. It's not a smoking gun but it sure makes it tough to argue against.

• Agree

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I don't think so either but I definitely think he wakes up and says "how can I mold these players into the "Iowa way"....

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I still can’t believe Seth Wallace has a job. Of all the stories that came out, a coach harassing a kid with a learning disability consistently to the point where he quit the sport entirely seems far and away the most egregious and worthy of getting fired.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I still can’t believe Seth Wallace has a job. Of all the stories that came out, a coach harassing a kid with a learning disability consistently to the point where he quit the sport entirely seems far and away the most egregious and worthy of getting fired.
I suspect the player had a 504 in the class room. I suspect Wallace also violated the 504 repeatedly. There is a special place in hell for folks like Seth Wallace.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I suspect the player had a 504 in the class room. I suspect Wallace also violated the 504 repeatedly. There is a special place in hell for folks like Seth Wallace.

Even the Hawkeye crew on here can’t defend him but obviously the Chad and Docs of the world aren’t going to press Ferentz on keeping Wallace on.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron