NBA: Jordan vs Lebron

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
They’re not comparable because they played in two completely different eras. They’re both GOATs of their generation.

I heard a great comparison the other day.

Seattle Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf ran in an Olympic 100M dash qualifier over the weekend. In 2021, he placed like 3rd to last overall. If he ran at the 1980 Olympics he would have placed 3rd overall.

Now make the comparison between Jordan’s competition and LeBron’s. It’s just different. Both great at their own times.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
They’re not comparable because they played in two completely different eras. They’re both GOATs of their generation.

I heard a great comparison the other day.

Seattle Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf ran in an Olympic 100M dash qualifier over the weekend. In 2021, he placed like 3rd to last overall. If he ran at the 1980 Olympics he would have placed 3rd overall.

Now make the comparison between Jordan’s competition and LeBron’s. It’s just different. Both great at their own times.

You have to compare them based on their dominance in the era in which they played. The Steelers dynasty of the 1970s had an O-line that averaged 260 lbs. Of course a mediocre DL from today would steamroll them. People get bigger, stronger, faster as we evolve and with advances in nutrition, training, technology, etc. Jordan's Bulls went through Magic's Lakers, Barkley's Suns, Drexler's Blazers, Kemp/Payton's Sonics, Malone/Stockton's Jazz. Not to mention Detroit's Bad Boys to get there. Don't think you can knock the level of MJ's competition.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Who I'd Pick to play 1 championship game to win: Michael
Who I'd Pick in 1 on 1: Lebron
Who I'd Pick to take last shot: Michael
Who I'd Pick to get the last stop: Lebron
Who I'd Pick if I had to start a franchise in the 80s/90s: Michael
Who I'd Pick if I had to start a franchise in today's NBA: Lebron

You could debate who was better all day long if you really wanted to get into it, Lebron imo is a better all around basketball player who can do things that Michael just couldn't do. However, that being said I know that does not mean that automatically makes Lebron the best. Michael's tenacity, clutchness, drive, win-at-all-costs, and just overall demeanor is something that may never be matched in the NBA (outside of debatably- Kobe). and those things makes me feel he would gut out a win against a lebron led team in their primes. We'll never know, it's a fascinating topic that no one will ever truly have the answer to, because everyone has their opinions or biases in one form or another.

Grew up Loving MJ and still do, grew up Loving Lebron and still do.
One of my favorite rebuts to this Lebron vs. MJ question is, would MJ be as highly regarded by basketball fans if he grew up and played in the age of social media.
I think he would, however, there would be a far larger contingency of "haters" that would pop up in any debate just like a KD, Lebron or Curry hater now-a-days haha

Last edited:

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
LeBron is a better player, IMO, and the pure talent/athleticism of today’s NBA is superior to the NBA in Jordan’s days.

Jordan dominated his era more than LeBron did and I would say the most dominant player of all time. However you want to decide from there is up to you.

Also, no one will ever change their mind on this topic so it’s kinda pointless to argue. Most of the time anyone tries to argue for LeBron it’s met with MJ fanboys that grew up worshipping him and haven’t watched an NBA game in 15 years

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Lebron isn't even better than Kobe, Bird or Magic.
You are ******* high! At the very least he is 1B. He has been by far the most dominant player for the last 15 years in an era where the NBA talent is better than ever. Jordan never played in an NBA with 7-0 off-guards. Every team this guy is on becomes a contender with him instantly.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You are ******* high! At the very least he is 1B. He has been by far the most dominant player for the last 15 years in an era where the NBA talent is better than ever. Jordan never played in an NBA with 7-0 off-guards. Every team this guy is on becomes a contender with him instantly.

True but Jordan played in a time when defenses were allowed to literally commit assault and battery on you when driving the lane. Not saying Lebron wouldn't have thrived back then, he's a physical freak. But imagine Jordan going off if he were playing against today's defenses where they aren't allowed to get within a foot of the ballhandler.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
True but Jordan played in a time when defenses were allowed to literally commit assault and battery on you when driving the lane. Not saying Lebron wouldn't have thrived back then, he's a physical freak. But imagine Jordan going off if he were playing against today's defenses where they aren't allowed to get within a foot of the ballhandler.
Either way the defenders in the league are a little better than Craig Elho or Danny Ainge were. At the very least Lebron is 1B. He is way better than Bird or Magic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron