Retirement Targets

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Retired last year at age 58. Got a part time job now and net worth is not quite 2 mil.

Reactions: yowza

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
My new job has prudential, anyone have any thoughts on them/experience. Target date of around 2045-2050ish

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
One of my main retirement activities will involve sitting outside in the summer with some tunes on and a cold Bud in hand. Simple, cheap and relaxing.

I saved enough so I can drink good beer. And good wine and whiskey.

Reactions: Bobber

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Our target is 100% income replacement even though it wouldn't need to be, but we will see. So far on track. A lot depends on the next 10 years or so as to when we pull the eject lever. What economy and markets do, and hopefully don't run into the age discrimination deal if needing to change employers. I know they say age discrimination is illegal, but its there for sure. Younger folks are cheaper even if maybe they are more likely to jump ship.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
My new job has prudential, anyone have any thoughts on them/experience. Target date of around 2045-2050ish

For 401K? Just dump as much as you can in it, and choose a good low cost index fund like VTSAX and let it go. And then convert it to vanguard when you move to the next job.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
For 401K? Just dump as much as you can in it, and choose a good low cost index fund like VTSAX and let it go. And then convert it to vanguard when you move to the next job.
Ya that's what I've done at my last 2 places, just wasn't sure if anyone had any hidden gems

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Keep in mind that "prudential" doesn't necessarily mean anything. Your employer has some decisions on what Prudential offers you. With that said, most offer a low cost S&P500 index fund. With 25-30 years until retirement, you don't need to be cute.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Just an FYI. Maybe someone else on here has a personal point of reference for cost.

"According to a LifePlans, Inc. survey, the average annual long-term care insurance premium is $2,727. That provides a benefit of $161 per day for nursing home care for a set number of years (four is most common)."

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Just an FYI. Maybe someone else on here has a personal point of reference for cost.

"According to a LifePlans, Inc. survey, the average annual long-term care insurance premium is $2,727. That provides a benefit of $161 per day for nursing home care for a set number of years (four is most common)."
Well, these guys have some of the best insurance policies at lower cost, including long term care. You do have to be a member to get a policy though.
http://www.kofc.org/en/insurance/long-term-care.html

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Scary how similar we are (except the salary). I was planning on retiring at 60 but have recently backed it up to 62. All signs show around $2.2mil at that time and until I found a good SS breakeven spreadsheet online last year, I planned on waiting until 67 also. If you run the numbers of being retired and using your own money instead of SS money, the breakeven moves from the oft quoted age of 78 to 88-90. I don't think I will make 88 or 90 so now I plan on taking SS at 62 (and preserve more of my money). Also, if I do die in my 70's, I have thus passed on more of my money. I don't get to pass on the foregone SS payments if I wait to take it at a later age.

The percent replacement quoted by retirement experts is hogwash unless you want a glamorous lifestyle. I have zero debt and can live very comfortably in Iowa for $55k. Throw in some travel and frivolous fun and I come up with $67k per year (today's $) in retirement (little over 50% income). $67k is only taking out 3% per year so ultra safe, although early years will probably be higher to cover insurance and first five years are high expense while exploring your new found freedoms.

I have many, many spreadsheets and information I can clean up and share if there is a way to share files.

I'm here for any and all spreadsheet geekery. Maybe a Dropbox or Google Drive link? Or links to where you found those Social Security breakeven spreadsheets.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
People need to stop looking at SS as an investment tool, and remember its stated purpose, which was old age insurance. When I hear people talking about how much better off they would be if they could access that money and invest it, they are forgetting that SS also goes to children that have lost a parent, to those that are disabled, and other causes. Sometimes its not always about YOU.

Reading through these pages, people forget that the people posting on here, are NOT a snapshot of the average American. Most here are college educated, with higher earning potential and take-home pay much greater than the average person.

Young people today do a much better job of investing for retirement than those 60 and over it. Some of those people retired on pensions, therefore did not have to worry about retirement savings, others believed it when the govenment told them they would be taken care of in old age, and many are still working to get by.

Is this rhetorical? Most of us on this board are basically "in the know" because we actually attended Iowa State and got a great education. We didn't go to Kirkwood and buy our fanbase shirts at Walmart and hang out in taverns. That's why we are pretty successful in life.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Is this rhetorical? Most of us on this board are basically "in the know" because we actually attended Iowa State and got a great education. We didn't go to Kirkwood and buy our fanbase shirts at Walmart and hang out in taverns. That's why we are pretty successful in life.

Really so you are saying that by attending ISU that makes you "in the know" and therefore you are insured a great education and well paying job because of it.

There are many great academic intuitions in this country, not just ISU. I do not consider myself "less" of an ISU fan just because I received my BA from a D3 school and not ISU. My kids do not cheer louder or attend more games at ISU than I do, just because they attended school in Ames and graduated from there.

The point I was trying to make that you linked was college educated people save more for retirement than non college educated because they generally have a larger salary base and can save more of it. That idea would apply whether you graduated from ISU, another school, work in the trades or own a business.

I guess I am just a Tavern CLONE, even though I rarely go into a tavern anymore. I tend to drink at home with my wife from my kegerator saving me money for my FB season tickets and cruises.

Reactions: yowza

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Really so you are saying that by attending ISU that makes you "in the know" and therefore you are insured a great education and well paying job because of it.

There are many great academic intuitions in this country, not just ISU. I do not consider myself "less" of an ISU fan just because I received my BA from a D3 school and not ISU. My kids do not cheer louder or attend more games at ISU than I do, just because they attended school in Ames and graduated from there.

The point I was trying to make that you linked was college educated people save more for retirement than non college educated because they generally have a larger salary base and can save more of it. That idea would apply whether you graduated from ISU, another school, work in the trades or own a business.

I guess I am just a Tavern CLONE, even though I rarely go into a tavern anymore. I tend to drink at home with my wife from my kegerator saving me money for my FB season tickets and cruises.
Having been a loan officer, I can say your savings and salary theory doesn’t hold water. It is more generational than educational. Younger folks seem to save better than the older generations.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

Haha, no it was a joke. Calm down. Higher learning is higher learning. I never put down that equation whether it's trade school or college. Bettering oneself is great no matter who, even for the individuals who go to Kirkwood and follow the hawks. I'm just going to give them a little more crap.

I'm thankful because my dad was keen on teaching me more about finances than what HS ever taught me. Got involved with cattle, thus lowering my need for loans later on.

And yes, that is much cheaper nowadays. Crazy how cheap college bars are/were to make any money nowadays.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Having been a loan officer, I can say your savings and salary theory doesn’t hold water. It is more generational than educational. Younger folks seem to save better than the older generations.

Younger people are forced to save for retirement because pensions from your employer for the most part have gone away. Education, police and working for the state or city in some capacity are some of few jobs left that actually have a pension plan. Most businesses and factories have switched over to a 401K type of retirement system. So younger people are forced by the system to become educated about their retirement, while the pension plan allowed you to make those donations and forget about them. Both systems have their pluses and minuses.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Younger people are forced to save for retirement because pensions from your employer for the most part have gone away. Education, police and working for the state or city in some capacity are some of few jobs left that actually have a pension plan. Most businesses and factories have switched over to a 401K type of retirement system. So younger people are forced by the system to become educated about their retirement, while the pension plan allowed you to make those donations and forget about them. Both systems have their pluses and minuses.

I never understood that philosophy one bit at all. A pension individual will work roughly 32 years. From 23-55 years of age approximately. Figuring that the median life expectancy is about 80. That says you will spend roughly 25 years in retirement; nearly as long as you are employed. Now, I don't know very many people that don't know what they make for a wage or salary and/or try to figure where they will be 1,5,10 years from now for a wage.

So why not understand the situation. The decline of pensions and SS has actually been the main driver of having more informed investors and will be what cleans up the SS situation, since less will be as dependent on it as a large source of their retirement income. Had this direction been pushed back in the 40s (FDR actually wanted individual private accounts when he originally pushed the SS idea), I believe many of the pains would not be an issue.