Jeep wrangler(s)

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you really want a more comfortable ride for distance, but want to retain some of that Jeep feeling, I would recommend the Cherokee with one of the off-road packages.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Driving a rough riding Wrangler across the country is quite a jarring experience. Unless your wife is a very rugged individual you are risking her wraith every time the Jeep leaves the driveway. Are you sure you wouldn't be buying the Wrangler for you when she is the person that needs a vehicle?

Wwweeeeellllllllllll.. Maybe. ;)

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I own a '14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I love it to death even if it's just a parking lot queen at the moment.

If you aren't planning on rock crawling or serious offroading (not that I do either) I'd skip the Rubicon. You do get hardware upgrades (heavier axles, different gearing, etc) for the money but it's probably not worth it. You can buy a set of 33" tires and rims and get the same look (which is what I'd bet 90% of Rubicon owners were after) without having to lift.

The Sahara is the closest to a "luxury" model that exists. Not that a vehicle which is designed to have the doors, roof, and windshield come off can be luxurious.

It's not a great roadtrip vehicle. I've taken mine on multiple 12-14 hour one day roadtrips and it's loud in the cabin. One reason for the noisiness are the tires (I've still got the M/T tires that came on it) and the other is wind / road noise. Wind noise above about 70 gets to be fairly loud. It's not unbearable, but it's extremely noticeable. Get a head wind or the right cross wind and it's even louder. Fuel economy suffers once you start getting past 70 mph. I was driving through west texas where the limit is 80 and I ran about 73 just to keep my fuel economy up.

That said, there is nothing like cruising around with the top off, doors off and just watching the world go by.

Be warned that wranglers (both new and used) are expensive. My '14 according to KBB is still worth $26k and I managed to get it off the lot for $37k.

I have an off-road friend who claims these "retain" value simply because of their off-road performance. Seriously I've choked a few times looking at the base prices but then all the add-ons sends the price to $50K in a snap (for new anyway) but I could never use that rationale (outloud anyway).

My ultra masculine CR-V will be the official road car but if we're jeeping around CO for 4-5 hours at a time it sounds more doable despite the wind and MPG issues...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I have a 2017 Sahara and really enjoy driving it on short trips. Cabin noise and fuel economy are the main concern if you are going longer distances. I mainly use it for work,which is a 3 mile drive to our greenhouse. Flipping the seats down and hauling plants and tools for landscaping projects is very convenient. It is easy to clean up. They really hold their resale value and I have had no major problems. I did replace the battery. Pulling it out was much easier than I expected since taking the air filter out for cleaning is kind of a chore.

2 door vs 4 door... I like the idea of the extra room and I've read snippets that the 2-door actually handle worse in inclement weather? Not a car guy so not sure that makes sense.

I like the idea of the extra room for when we go to Whole Foods, or the street fair to buy fresh flowers. But I want the option to move a body comfortably if that time ever comes...

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I own a '14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I love it to death even if it's just a parking lot queen at the moment.

If you aren't planning on rock crawling or serious offroading (not that I do either) I'd skip the Rubicon. You do get hardware upgrades (heavier axles, different gearing, etc) for the money but it's probably not worth it. You can buy a set of 33" tires and rims and get the same look (which is what I'd bet 90% of Rubicon owners were after) without having to lift.

The Sahara is the closest to a "luxury" model that exists. Not that a vehicle which is designed to have the doors, roof, and windshield come off can be luxurious.

It's not a great roadtrip vehicle. I've taken mine on multiple 12-14 hour one day roadtrips and it's loud in the cabin. One reason for the noisiness are the tires (I've still got the M/T tires that came on it) and the other is wind / road noise. Wind noise above about 70 gets to be fairly loud. It's not unbearable, but it's extremely noticeable. Get a head wind or the right cross wind and it's even louder. Fuel economy suffers once you start getting past 70 mph. I was driving through west texas where the limit is 80 and I ran about 73 just to keep my fuel economy up.

That said, there is nothing like cruising around with the top off, doors off and just watching the world go by.

Be warned that wranglers (both new and used) are expensive. My '14 according to KBB is still worth $26k and I managed to get it off the lot for $37k.

I don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation, but your comments about wind noise and fuel economy immediately reminded me of this funny image I saw on twitter recently:

ded17c4d18d0bfb2764df22be8fd27def5b55cff6abbd54b9ce2d6e3d79ef5ae_1.jpg

Reactions: besserheimerphat

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I currently own a 79 CJ, and a 93 Wrangler as weekenders and have had Jeeps pretty much since I was 18. I've driven the new ones and they are awesome, if you like Jeeps. If you are worried about gas mileage or how smooth the drive is, don't get a Jeep, but if you can deal with that, they are awesome. Just like a car that requires premium gas, if that is a worry, don't even mess with it. The Gladiators are awesome, and they can't give them away, but they look dumb if you don't get a Rubicon one.

The Willys or Sahara are they way to go, if you don't want all the back country add on's the Rubicons provide. You still get off-road capability and a cool look, but not the heavier axles and off-road overkill. Make sure you pay attention to the engine, because they will try and stick you with a smaller one. I prefer the two doors, but if you have kids the 4 door might be better. 2 doors are cheaper too.

The Gladiators and newer Jeeps aren't selling as well as they thought they would, so you can work a pretty good deal, especially with the Bronco's and 2021's hitting here soon. I know you can still get new 2019's. I almost got a 2020 Rubicon last month, but went with a Raptor instead, as I already had two jeep's. My daughter is 8 and I've already told her, her first car will be a Jeep!

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
I would forego any jeep unless you are actually going to off road it. There are tons of better vehicles that will do the same things you describe, better, and much more reliably/comfortably.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I’ve had one for a long time. They are like driving a brick, but so what. Mpg under 20 and loud cabin at high speed, big deal. I love it. The car requires less maintenance than others in my experience, very reliable.

Reactions: Sousaclone

August

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2018
Colorado
I live in Colorado and have a 2010 Sahara, 2 door. It came with a hard and soft top. I sold the soft top and keep the hard top on all the time. The hard top does have removable roof panels to convert to a open roof "convertible". It only takes a couple of minutes to remove and replace the panels. I removed the back seat so they store very easily. We are retired so having the hard top makes it easy to drive highways into the high country with a quiet ride and then swap over to the open roof for trial riding. Then back to the hard top for the drive home. With the hard top on, the ride is very quiet. Drove it on highways to work every day, ride is fine. If you are just going to enjoy forest roads and out of the way mountain passes there is no need for a Rubicon. Also, I would recommend the 2 door for handling on narrow mountain roads.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
We won't be "off-roaders", no rock crawling but do expect to explore more back country so want SOME of that celebrated Jeep off-roadedness... Also want the ability to drive the thing comfortably cross county if needed.
a 4-Runner would be a better fit
I would wait and get yourself a '21 Ford Bronco. Great for cruising the highway
as much as I like the idea of the Bronco i would hold off on new model Fords..

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We bought a 2020 Rubicon last September and love it. We were debating the Sahara to cut down on cost, but the dealership offered us more for our trade-in if we went with the Rubicon, and we just splurged a bit. Like others have said, unless you're going to be doing some serious off-roading, a Rubicon is overkill. It looks sharp, but it's overkill.

I drive my Camry for a commuter car, but for our errands and other local trips have been almost exclusively in the Jeep. Driving with the doors and top off has been therapeutic since being trapped inside during the pandemic.

We have done some minor off-roading, but recently gave it its first true test at an off-road course. Doing that on a regular basis won't be something I do a lot of, but it was fun to go over some of the obstacles that you'd never think about going over otherwise. It handled large rocks and drops like a champ.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Scratching an itch for my move (Thursday!!!!) to CoSprings and thinking about a new(er) jeep. Actually it's for my wife and I'm stuck with my WAY sexy Honda CR-V (but I have the touring package so THAT "helps"). I'm less interested in hearing about reliability issues (I drove a range rover for years and had an earlier version of the grand cherokee) but more in the different package levels.

We won't be "off-roaders", no rock crawling but do expect to explore more back country so want SOME of that celebrated Jeep off-roadedness... Also want the ability to drive the thing comfortably cross county if needed.

Anyone with insight on the higher levels of jeep like the Rubicon? My guess is it will be overkill for what I think we want to do, but curious of others experience.

If you like to go topless with the doors and roof off the Jeep is a no brainer. As someone else mentioned the 4runner is as equally good off road and definitely has more creature comforts.

I bought a '16 Sahara last year. I've enjoyed it immensely and have done some off roading. I do kinda wish I would have gone with the Rubicon, lockers would have been good on a couple of the mud holes I've hit.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Bought a Sport Unlimited 3 summers ago, wife thought she would hate it, but loves it and tends to prefer it to the Toyota. Freedom panels are a huge plus, and although the 18 mpg and road noise may be a concern, just turn the radio up as it will be one of the most fun rides you will own. Just make sure to wave to the other Wranglers!

Reactions: coolerifyoudid