Jeep wrangler(s)

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Scratching an itch for my move (Thursday!!!!) to CoSprings and thinking about a new(er) jeep. Actually it's for my wife and I'm stuck with my WAY sexy Honda CR-V (but I have the touring package so THAT "helps"). I'm less interested in hearing about reliability issues (I drove a range rover for years and had an earlier version of the grand cherokee) but more in the different package levels.

We won't be "off-roaders", no rock crawling but do expect to explore more back country so want SOME of that celebrated Jeep off-roadedness... Also want the ability to drive the thing comfortably cross county if needed.

Anyone with insight on the higher levels of jeep like the Rubicon? My guess is it will be overkill for what I think we want to do, but curious of others experience.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
All the different wrangler models & trims recently really confuse me.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Driving a rough riding Wrangler across the country is quite a jarring experience. Unless your wife is a very rugged individual you are risking her wraith every time the Jeep leaves the driveway. Are you sure you wouldn't be buying the Wrangler for you when she is the person that needs a vehicle?

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Driving a rough riding Wrangler across the country is quite a jarring experience. Unless your wife is a very rugged individual you are risking her wraith every time the Jeep leaves the driveway. Are you sure you wouldn't be buying the Wrangler for you when she is the person that needs a vehicle?

Agree that any trim Wrangler is not the vehicle for a smooth cruise across the country.

If you are really wanting a Wrangler and are willing to live with the rough ride and don't plan on spending any serious time off road, but still want it when you need it, look at the Sahara over the Rubicon. It's a little less beefy in the off road department, but still has the capability to do almost anything the Rubicon can do, almost. It will also have more bells and whistles in the comfort department that might help offset some of the inevitable ride issues. The Sahara is pretty loaded with features.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I own a '14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I love it to death even if it's just a parking lot queen at the moment.

If you aren't planning on rock crawling or serious offroading (not that I do either) I'd skip the Rubicon. You do get hardware upgrades (heavier axles, different gearing, etc) for the money but it's probably not worth it. You can buy a set of 33" tires and rims and get the same look (which is what I'd bet 90% of Rubicon owners were after) without having to lift.

The Sahara is the closest to a "luxury" model that exists. Not that a vehicle which is designed to have the doors, roof, and windshield come off can be luxurious.

It's not a great roadtrip vehicle. I've taken mine on multiple 12-14 hour one day roadtrips and it's loud in the cabin. One reason for the noisiness are the tires (I've still got the M/T tires that came on it) and the other is wind / road noise. Wind noise above about 70 gets to be fairly loud. It's not unbearable, but it's extremely noticeable. Get a head wind or the right cross wind and it's even louder. Fuel economy suffers once you start getting past 70 mph. I was driving through west texas where the limit is 80 and I ran about 73 just to keep my fuel economy up.

That said, there is nothing like cruising around with the top off, doors off and just watching the world go by.

Be warned that wranglers (both new and used) are expensive. My '14 according to KBB is still worth $26k and I managed to get it off the lot for $37k.

Reactions: pulse

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
I have a Sahara and love it, I like being able to take the top off when it’s nice out, I will say I wouldn’t own one if I was doing a ton of traveling it’s not the smoothest ride in the world...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would wait and get yourself a '21 Ford Bronco. Great for cruising the highway

Do they still make those?

I had an Explorer once. I think you could actually hear the fuel burning through with a 'glug, glug, glug' sound.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

tenor.gif

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I work with a couple Jeep guys and they don't daily drive theirs. I thought pretty hard about getting one of the unlimited versions (4-door) a few years back but ended up getting a Tacoma instead.

That being said if you're dead set on a Jeep I'd wait until next week week when they release the specs on the new Bronco. Then I'd make my decision if you want a Jeep or a Bronco.

JDDDCy

Dec 20, 2017
I have a 2017 Sahara and really enjoy driving it on short trips. Cabin noise and fuel economy are the main concern if you are going longer distances. I mainly use it for work,which is a 3 mile drive to our greenhouse. Flipping the seats down and hauling plants and tools for landscaping projects is very convenient. It is easy to clean up. They really hold their resale value and I have had no major problems. I did replace the battery. Pulling it out was much easier than I expected since taking the air filter out for cleaning is kind of a chore.

Reactions: aauummm

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Do they still make those?

I had an Explorer once. I think you could actually hear the fuel burning through with a 'glug, glug, glug' sound.

My new Explorer gets excellent gas mileage and I love it. As long as Ford keeps making Explorers they are the only vehicle I will buy for myself.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Scratching an itch for my move (Thursday!!!!) to CoSprings and thinking about a new(er) jeep. Actually it's for my wife and I'm stuck with my WAY sexy Honda CR-V (but I have the touring package so THAT "helps"). I'm less interested in hearing about reliability issues (I drove a range rover for years and had an earlier version of the grand cherokee) but more in the different package levels.

We won't be "off-roaders", no rock crawling but do expect to explore more back country so want SOME of that celebrated Jeep off-roadedness... Also want the ability to drive the thing comfortably cross county if needed.

Anyone with insight on the higher levels of jeep like the Rubicon? My guess is it will be overkill for what I think we want to do, but curious of others experience.
No but let me know when you're ready to have a beer.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Oh, two door or four door? It's a debate. 4 door is infinitely more practical, but a two door is quintessentially jeep and is supposed to be blast to just wheel around in (incredibly short wheelbase)

Reactions: aauummm

Cycloneracer

Mar 17, 2014
SW Iowa
Wife had one. 2 door hard and soft tops. Sharia edition.

Great toys. Horrible daily drivers. Noisy. Bad fuel mileage. Hard to get in and out of.

Good part is that if you do buy one the resale is great on them when you hate it and want it gone!