If you had to pick up and move where would you go?

Where would you move?

• Northeast

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Mid-Atlantic

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Southeast

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Midwest

Votes: 36 14.7%
  • Rocky Mountains

Votes: 91 37.1%
  • Texas

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Southwest

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Pacific Northwest

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Nor-Cal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • So-Cal

Votes: 13 5.3%

• Total voters

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Most of the Scandinavian countries have the same problem. Mostly due to the lack of sunlight in the winter.
Yeah, that explains why utah, arizona, nevada, idaho, Colorado have higher suicide rates....The lack of, uhm, sun?

Did you read anything I wrote?

Reactions: Doc

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Interesting theory on how it could be related to altitude & oxygen levels
I would think that would show internationally too, but I haven't dug too much further into it there.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
A lot of people think that, but then reality hits when they realize how much work is involved in living away from everything like that. Living far from everything like that would almost have to involve living off-grid. And when you live off-grid ... in mountains ... just chopping wood for your fires would become nearly a full-time job in the spring and summer to get enough to last you through the fall and winter. And if your goal is to isolate yourself, you'd need to grow your own food, hunt your own meat, find your own water source and dig your own outhouse.

If you're not thinking of living that far away from everything and remaining on the grid, then never mind.;)

That is exactly what I am thinking and I am good with it.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Why don’t people actually do this more often?

For me, it’s unfounded guilt of leaving my extended family. It’s not wanting all the unnecessary stress & ******** of moving my young family just to try new geography. And, probably lost importantly, I have a really good high paying job where I’m at.

However, I think Arkansas could be a good spot to buy a bunch of land. Similar for Boise. Oregon & Washington as well, although I don’t think Portland & Seattle are for me.

But I’ll likely be in the Midwest for a long time. Within a few hours of my current location.... I’ve always enjoyed Madison.

A lot of it has to do with responsibilities, as as has been mentioned. I have 2 kids, with the oldest going to be a freshman in high school this coming year. I can’t up and move for their sake, if nothing else. They have a lot of great friends, are close to family, what I think is a good school system, etc.

I used to work with a guy who went on a week long vacation to Washington State once. While he was up there, he...on a whim (was not planning to do this at all)...saw a job there he thought looked interesting, was able to line up an interview while he was there, and went in. They called him while he was driving back to Iowa and offered him the position. He got back to Iowa, put in his two weeks notice, sublet the apartment he was living in, packed his stuff and drove back immediately (the company we work for was fine with him not working those 2 weeks).

His situation is a little different than mine. He had no significant other, no kids and the small family he did have was spread out all over the country already. A person on that kind of situation can make jumps like this a lot easier than someone with responsibilities beyond his or her own.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
So with all the economic uncertainty right now my wife and I were talking the other night about this. If we had to pick up and move where would we go? Both of us have traveled a lot but never lived anywhere but the Midwest and I wouldn't mind doing something different. Personally I'd pick either Texas, the area around Austin specifically or somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. I like Austin for the food scene and I'd spend a lot of time watching races at COTA. I like the Pacific Northwest because you're a couple hours drive from mountains and the ocean.

So where would you go and why? Just for the sake of simplicity I'm keeping the poll to just the US but some days moving to Europe sounds appealing.

On a side note my wife and I both work for the same company and this might actually be something we have to consider based on the doom and gloom coming out of leadership.

Since it's the U.S., I love the mountains, so it would be rocky mountains. If the world was included, simple answer of New Zealand.

Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Somewhere less populated than Iowa. Take me west, but not to colorado. I'm thinking Wyoming or Montana.

In my experience, Wyoming and Montana are good spots for really finding space away from crowds.

CO has close access to things, but imo it's recreation for the extrovert.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Texas and Colorado. Australia is my backup country.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Haven't been online much over the weekend, so just seeing this now. I am steadfast in my choice that has come up in other threads over the years: northern California, specifically The Sea Ranch in northwest Sonoma County, three hours north of San Francisco. It's never been warmer than the low 90s (and that's exceedingly rare), it's never humid when it does get warm, and it rarely gets below 32 in the winter (no snow, no ice). There's not a lot for jobs since it's a relatively isolated vacation area and it's expensive, but we'd figure out a way to make it work. If the means presented themselves tomorrow, I'd be there for the rest of my life. The video below shows just a small portion at the south end of the community.

Edited to add current weather at The Sea Ranch as of 10:17 a.m. Pacific time today: sunny, 61 (feels like 57), dewpoint 47, winds NW @16mph. Forecast high of 64, overnight low of 48. Extended forecast through next Wednesday: highs between 67 and71, lows between 49 and 51, with sunshine every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigCyFan

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Haven't been online much over the weekend, so just seeing this now. I am steadfast in my choice that has come up in other threads over the years: northern California, specifically The Sea Ranch in northwest Sonoma County, three hours north of San Francisco. It's never been warmer than the low 90s (and that's exceedingly rare), it's never humid when it does get warm, and it rarely gets below 32 in the winter (no snow, no ice). There's not a lot for jobs since it's a relatively isolated vacation area and it's expensive, but we'd figure out a way to make it work. If the means presented themselves tomorrow, I'd be there for the rest of my life. The video below shows just a small portion at the south end of the community.

Wasn't it Reagan who said something like

If the Pilgrims landed on the West Coast, the East would still be wilderness

I agree. California or bust for me.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
New Zealand but WAY short of the $$$ I'd need to get an investors visa. Will probably just have to settle for an extended visit.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Lake of the Ozarks for us. Plan is to get a house there and get a condo in DSM. Youngest is still in elementary school so will be awhile before we move south.