I-Phone "secret" tracking maps...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Scary movie called The Big Hack on how exactly social media was used to topple governments via voter manipulation in other countries and used here as well. Nothing necessarily under-handed but it does illustrate the power of data to move mountains for good and evil.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Quite frankly I consider this a feature not a bug. Not only do I have tracking on, I share my location at all times with every member of my family.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I agree. The PBS show Frontline recently did a program on the Uyghurs, called China Undercover: https://www.pbs.org/video/china-undercover-zqcoh2/

Often PBS programs are free online for a short period after airing, and then you have to be a member to view. But it appears this one is still free.

The technology is state of the art. Even Uyghurs who are not in a concentration camp are being monitored constantly as if they were. I don’t recall that it is in use yet in other parts of China, though it seems likely that it will be. I believe it is currently more like a model that could be rolled out elsewhere. They also mentioned how they could market it to other countries, such as allies of theirs around the world.

My link is from an iPad, so people might have to search some if it doesn’t take you where you want.
So North Korea, Pakistan, Iran, sometimes Russia, and a few African countries that they've put into debt?

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Quite frankly I consider this a feature not a bug. Not only do I have tracking on, I share my location at all times with every member of my family.

I do too, I share my location with my wife and it’s pretty handy to see if she’s left work in time to grab the kids and get them from a to b

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
So North Korea, Pakistan, Iran, sometimes Russia, and a few African countries that they've put into debt?
It’s really worth watching for everyone here — for the story of what’s going on with the Uyghurs alone. It was, as the title says, an undercover investigation by someone, anonymous, a Chinese national who now lives in Thailand, who they got to do it for them.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
“Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”

Edward Snowden

Hope Eddie likes watching those 'From Russia with Love' reruns with his bud Putin.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
It’s really worth watching for everyone here — for the story of what’s going on with the Uyghurs alone. It was, as the title says, an undercover investigation by someone, anonymous, a Chinese national who now lives in Thailand, who they got to do it for them.
I'm sure it's interesting. It's one that I might actually watch. Thanks.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Not sure if Russia really is an ally of theirs, Russia just likes normalizing tyranny.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Having social media is a choice more so than what your phone does, but I'd bet there's plenty of people out there that are posting about this on FB and outraged, while they've been updating their status and checking into places, tagging people, etc. within the same day.
social media sites are safe for the most part for pictures as long as you don't tag the location or refuse to show it. Twitter and Facebook (I think Instagram also) strip the Exif metadata from pictures which contain the timestamp and latitude and longitude of where the picture was taken.

Those social media sites keep that data stored however which is a security concern as they can use that for ads, etc. The common user won't be able to tell and that data can be useful for a digital forensic investigation so there are benefits of them keeping that EXIF metadata. I have a rule to not post pictures from a vacation until I'm at home in case a friend relayed where I am at the time to someone bad and they try to steal stuff.