Starting lineup for 2020-21 Season

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think Hinton and Coleman-Lands look like guys who can get their shots off late in the clock so maybe they look to plays for those guys late if we don’t have a stud P&R player this year.

Reactions: heitclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We may have the depth (depending on waivers and freshmen developing) to play the offensive (and defensive) equivalent of WV or Arkansas in the past and run people off the floor.
I have thought that several times in the past several years and it never happens. I don't think it is in the cards.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
What's exiting for me is we added 3 guys that have proven can average over 10 ppg in a season in major conferences. Add that to Bolton, close to 15 last year, and Solo was right at 10, we should have a pretty balanced scoring attack, where teams cant just key on one or two guys. That's what made some of Hoiberg's teams so hard to guard, you weren't sure where it was going to come from, but you knew we were going to score.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Harris
JCL
Bolton
Hinson
Young

or

JCL
Bolton
Hinson
Johnson
Young

I think it's more likely we go the first option but hopefully we are open to showing multiple looks.

The roster is much stronger 2-10 this year. CSP has his work cut out for him to make this gel but we've certainly upgraded our talent and experience this spring with Harris/JCL/Hinson.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
At the end of last seasonn Conditt was a liability on defense in the low post. What the team needed desperately was defense and Young was at least adequate there. The plus with Conditt is he's a better rim protector and rebounder. Young offers more offense in the low post and mid range.

I don't see where Conditt is head and shoulders better than Young based off of last season.

If Conditt can at least develop to an average low post defender then maybe he starts but even then I think we'll see more or less 50/50 playing time between the two because Young offers more in the offense while giving at least average post defense.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Starting lineup I would like to see is:

Bolton
JCL
Hinson
Johnson
Foster

That combination would provide the most offensive and defensive upside. Offensively, you would have five capable 3 pt shooters that would optimize spacing while exploiting mismatches. Defensively, those five would provide the best combination of length and athleticism.

The potential issues with that fivesome is whether one or two of those five can emerge as a competent offensive facilitator. The other obvious issue is whether Foster will be ready by conference play to be an effective starter over extended minutes.

I don't think Harris can make the immediate jump from being a backup SG in the AAC to being a B12 quality starting PG on a NCAA tourney team. Plus at 5-9, he runs the risk of being overly exploited defensively in the B12. If he's starting, that likely reduces or eliminates the chances of being in the NCAAs.

If Foster isn't ready to start, I hope Conditt is next in line. His upside exceeds that of Solo, especially defensively and that has been the most negative recurring issue over Prohm's tenure. But Conditt has to improve his strength and conditioning to start which is why he lost his starting job to Solo last season. Solo is certainly better offensively in the low post than Conditt but this team needs defensive improvement in the worst way and Conditt or Foster provide much more rim protection than Solo does.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Starting lineup I would like to see is:

Bolton
JCL
Hinson
Johnson
Foster

That combination would provide the most offensive and defensive upside. Offensively, you would have five capable 3 pt shooters that would optimize spacing while exploiting mismatches. Defensively, those five would provide the best combination of length and athleticism.

The potential issues with that fivesome is whether one or two of those five can emerge as a competent offensive facilitator. The other obvious issue is whether Foster will be ready by conference play to be an effective starter over extended minutes.

I don't think Harris can make the immediate jump from being a backup SG in the AAC to being a B12 quality starting PG on a NCAA tourney team. Plus at 5-9, he runs the risk of being overly exploited defensively in the B12. If he's starting, that likely reduces or eliminates the chances of being in the NCAAs.

If Foster isn't ready to start, I hope Conditt is next in line. His upside exceeds that of Solo, especially defensively and that has been the most negative recurring issue over Prohm's tenure. But Conditt has to improve his strength and conditioning to start which is why he lost his starting job to Solo last season. Solo is certainly better offensively in the low post than Conditt but this team needs defensive improvement in the worst way and Conditt or Foster provide much more rim protection than Solo does.
Conditt has a long ways to go before he’s better than Young. All this talk of upside reminds me of how off we were on Zion.

Upside is more of a recruiting thing than who starts thing.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't understand all the talk of Harris being a defensive liability.

Very few college teams run an offense to post up their guards to take advantage of Harris' height. Being 5'9" and super quick isn't a big liability 18 feet from the basket.

IMO when Harris is in the game the key is his not switching automatically. He's the one guy who needs to be adept at fighting through screens.

Reactions: bozclone

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I don't understand all the talk of Harris being a defensive liability.

Very few college teams run an offense to post up their guards to take advantage of Harris' height. Being 5'9" and super quick isn't a big liability 18 feet from the basket.

IMO when Harris is in the game the key is his not switching automatically. He's the one guy who needs to be adept at fighting through screens.
Have you watched our ball screen defense?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I really like the competition that is developing at all positions. If a guy wants to play 30mpg- he must be solid in all facets- offense, defense and rebounding. Starter minutes will be earned.

Hinson is a huge get because he gives ISU a physical small-ball 4 and probably a better rebounder than Johnson.

Johnson might be the big winner with Hinson signing. He can now play more minutes on the wing.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Yep and I our coaching staff needs to change. We are too predictable switching everything.

I have said in other posts, a talent infusion is great. But our coaching staff needs to change it's methods to leverage our talent and also create some toughness.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Conditt has a long ways to go before he’s better than Young. All this talk of upside reminds me of how off we were on Zion.

Upside is more of a recruiting thing than who starts thing.
What?

Conditt started over Solo last season until his S&C issues caught up to him. Him starting over Solo had little to do at the time with recruiting or upside. If Conditt’s S&C improves, he probably starts over Solo again next season if Foster isn’t ready defensively.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
What?

Conditt started over Solo last season until his S&C issues caught up to him. Him starting over Solo had little to do at the time with recruiting or upside. If Conditt’s S&C improves, he probably starts over Solo again next season if Foster isn’t ready defensively.

I think losing Haliburton hurt Conditt. This ability to deliver into posts allowed George to excel. Way to many times passes from Bolton put him in bad position or mishandled. Not all Bolton's fault but TH had the knack.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Conditt is the one I think could be left out of the rotation by the end of the season especially if a Fr steps up like Foster or Blackwell. I say that being a big believer in him but he really really struggled last year.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Conditt is the one I think could be left out of the rotation by the end of the season especially if a Fr steps up like Foster or Blackwell. I say that being a big believer in him but he really really struggled last year.

How would Blackwell playing impact Conditt?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
How would Blackwell playing impact Conditt?

Yeah, those two are independent. I assume considering the lack of outside shot and the new roster I believe Conditt and Young will be fighting for the center minutes exclusively. The fight for the PF minutes will be intense between Hinson, Johnson, Foster, Dubar, and Blackwell.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I would, but it would violate obscenity laws.

I think losing Haliburton hurt Conditt. This ability to deliver into posts allowed George to excel. Way to many times passes from Bolton put him in bad position or mishandled. Not all Bolton's fault but TH had the knack.

The Haliburton/Conditt pick-and-roll was pretty deadly last year. The two of them seemed to have a knack for it, and George was a big target and loved a lob.

Once Haliburton went out, we changed the offense to focus on low-post touches and Bolton attacking the rim instead of Haliburton being a superhero.

Young was the better option for the former. He has a back-to-the-basket game, has a decent mid-range jumper, and while he does not block shots, he plays better fundamentals defense. Conditt thrived in that P&R offense but was kind of useless otherwise.

That, plus teams figuring out you could bully Conditt on the block, kind of doomed him to the sophomore slump that degraded his playing time greatly.

Reactions: isutrevman

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
What?

He got benched because Young regained his form after missing a year and because Conditt sucked for a long stretch. S&C had little to do with why Conditt fell out of favor, other than he’s weaker than Young, but that’s always been the case. And will be next year too

Conditt, despite being longer with quicker feet, was very bad on defense the second half of the season. I’m hoping it was mostly mental. He seemed disheartened after Haliburton went down.