***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
So what happens with Eastern now regarding his academic credits? Will he be admitted anywhere? What happens to Michigan with the bolded?

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...nojel-eastern-michigan-basketball/3209406001/

The latest spiral in Eastern's transfer saga comes as a surprise after coach Juwan Howard spoke about him in a late-May video released by Big Ten Network. Since it's an NCAA violation to openly discuss unsigned players, it seemed Eastern had signed.

That's clearly not the case.

with Michigan being one of the best public universities in the world, i guess it doesnt shock me he ran into some transfer credit issues. There are other schools out there that can work with him, so long as he passes the ncaa clearinghouse, ISU being one of them

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
He has attempted 16 three pointers in his 3 years so far, I dont think he is straying too far away from the basket often.

Eastern played a lot of PG at Purdue. He's a guy who envisions himself as a point forward like George's Niang.

Problem is he has Stevie Johnson/Kenny Pratt type range. That's great for your 4th/5th option on offense, not a primary ballhandler.

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
Eastern played a lot of PG at Purdue. He's a guy who envisions himself as a point forward like George's Niang.

Problem is he has Stevie Johnson/Kenny Pratt type range. That's great for your 4th/5th option on offense, not your a primary ballhandler.

Now its bad for a guy with poor range to be your 4th or 5th option on offense and primarily handle the ball?

CyState85

May 8, 2019
If PG is the position of need, I’m baffled that ISU didn’t truly pursue Drew Buggs. The kid has ties here, wanted to be here, but was strung along by the staff. All time assist leader at Hawaii with a 2:1 career assist to turnover ratio and rebounds well for his position. Maybe someone with some insight could explain the staff’s thinking?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Problem is he has Stevie Johnson/Kenny Pratt type range. That's great for your 4th/5th option on offense, not a primary ballhandler.

He would be a 4th or 5th option after Bolton, Young, and Coleman-Lands plus whatever the freshman bring as rangy wings off the bench.

If PG is the position of need, I’m baffled that ISU didn’t truly pursue Drew Buggs. The kid has ties here, wanted to be here, but was strung along by the staff. All time assist leader at Hawaii with a 2:1 career assist to turnover ratio and rebounds well for his position. Maybe someone with some insight could explain the staff’s thinking?

Buggs wanted a guaranteed starting spot, high minutes, and high usage. The staff was reasonable and did not/could not promise that to him.

So they parted.

Buggs was the problem.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Now its bad for a guy with poor range to be your 4th or 5th option on offense and primarily handle the ball?

Yes. In ISU's offense the primary 1 or 2 ball handlers need to be scorers- Morris, Halliburton or Bolton.

Don't get me wrong. I'd take Eastern if he is willing to play small ball post and if he's a grad transfer.

Harris
Bolton
Lands
Eastern
Young

That would be a solid starting 5.

Reactions: Cytown12

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Good article if you're looking for optimism on Eastern. The author was terribly wrong last year because his shooting got worse, but still. There's a chance. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up on the Spurs and learns to shoot.

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/09/23/draft-notes-nojel-eastern-looking-jump-shot/

Guys like Lowry, Oladipo, Siakam, Roy, Jimmy Butler, and Danny Granger were all terrible shooters who added jump shots later in their careers. They probably had better form than Eastern, though.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Buggs wanted to start and get 30ish minutes per game, Prohm wasn't comfortable giving him that type of role felt Tre and Rasir would be better options for those minutes. Plus the staff appears confident Tyler Harris will get a waiver and if he does he would get minutes over him too.
Even though they play different positions there is no guarantee JC-L would have come to ISU if Buggs was taken early.
I hope Buggs does well at Mizzou, but I am not losing sleep about him going elsewhere as he doesn't move the needle on next years team.

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I apologize in advance as I have only partly followed this thread, especially after we didn’t land Gach/Smith. Do we have any ties to Eastern? Was he considering ISU prior to choosing Michigan? If I remember correctly he announced his transfer and then committed to Michigan pretty quickly

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I apologize in advance as I have only partly followed this thread, especially after we didn’t land Gach/Smith. Do we have any ties to Eastern? Was he considering ISU prior to choosing Michigan? If I remember correctly he announced his transfer and then committed to Michigan pretty quickly

offered out of HS

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
with Michigan being one of the best public universities in the world, i guess it doesnt shock me he ran into some transfer credit issues. There are other schools out there that can work with him, so long as he passes the ncaa clearinghouse, ISU being one of them

I do not believe that the clearinghouse is involved in transfer - I think that it is more up to the academic side of the institutions. As long as they are eligible at the school thatthey are transferring from the NCAA approves it. Sounds more like UM did not admit him to the their school.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Yes. In ISU's offense the primary 1 or 2 ball handlers need to be scorers- Morris, Halliburton or Bolton.

Don't get me wrong. I'd take Eastern if he is willing to play small ball post and if he's a grad transfer.

Harris
Bolton
Lands
Eastern
Young

That would be a solid starting 5.
The NWB + Haliburton worked well in 2018-19. Neither played scorer roles on that team.

If he were a small guard, maybe he needs to be a scorer, or even a shooter (although 2018-19 suggests not too much of one). But it’s a different dynamic if he’s functioning as one of the lead guards from the 4 spot. A small ball 4 can have a lot of overlap with being a pg. Particularly on a team that lacks a pg at the 1 spot.

I don’t think anyone is calling him a 1. But his shooting isn’t going to prevent him from being one of the primary facilitators.

On offense he’s defended by a forward as a 4 playing a pg, surrounded by two good shooting combo guards and a good shooting wing. Prohm would have that offense top-30. He defends the 4 on the other end, allowing us to switch all but one ball-screen action.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I don’t think anyone is calling him a 1. But his shooting isn’t going to prevent him from being one of the primary facilitators.

He can only facilitate from 10 feet in with his existing shooting range. Outside of 10 feet, there is no reason to defend him closely and his optimal passing lanes/angles are drastically reduced (especially those near the hoop).

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
He can only facilitate from 10 feet in with his existing shooting range. Outside of 10 feet, there is no reason to defend him closely and his optimal passing lanes/angles are drastically reduced (especially those near the hoop).

If he's so awful, it's a wonder he played 25+mpg the last two years in the b1g and that Michigan jumped on his as soon as they could.

Reactions: isutrevman

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
If he's so awful, it's a wonder he played 25+mpg the last two years in the b1g and that Michigan jumped on his as soon as they could.
Where in the hell did I post that he was awful? I have pointed out his limitations and how that negatively impacts his desire to be a guard/perimeter player and as a primary facilitator from the 4 or 5. He did lead Purdue in apg last season and that is a reason why they were below .500 in the B10 and would have missed the NCAAs as an at-large team.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Did you actually ever see his ball handling and passing ability of are you just basing this on where he works best on the offensive side of the ball?