Woodworkers Thread

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I’m looking for a cheap 23g pin nailer to finish off a project for someone here on CF. Any suggestions? The smallest I’ve got is an 18g Brad nailer and I’m worried the trim piece will split.

Or if anyone here in Ankeny has one to borrow for a few min that’d be alright too. :)

Here’s the project. The small piece off to the right is what I need it for.

View attachment 72548 View attachment 72549

I picked one up on sale at Menards last week. Metabo (formerly Hitachi). It was a great deal... Normally $140, on sale for $80. You can borrow mine, but since I live in the Twin Cities, probably not realistic!!

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I picked one up on sale at Menards last week. Metabo (formerly Hitachi). It was a great deal... Normally $140, on sale for $80. You can borrow mine, but since I live in the Twin Cities, probably not realistic!!
You’re not willing to drive it down here? Seems insensitive

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
This is good. How does that dust separator work? Does the shop vac fill at all then?

The shop vac fills very little. The only reason I have the size of the one I do is because it has a large cfm. That's the best number to look at when picking one out. It isn't a high enough cfm for larger tools but it is more than adequate for everything else.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Where is that trim piece going?

On the base in front of the slot that was cut. In order to get the items inside, both the front glass and the back need to be removable. The glass is going to slide out the bottom but I didn’t want that slot visible.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
But how would you connect a smaller thinner material? I mean I can connect a 2x4 with that kind of weird triangle angle but I don’t that will work with a 1x2 which is kind of what I was thinking. I thought about that with the plexiglass. I thought maybe just getting those trim pieces right and then air nailing it to a piece of mdf I could cut easily and then painting the mdf and glueing the pennant to the mdf. Something about that though just has me thinking it’s gonna look cobbled together. In this scenario I wouldn’t use glass or plexi

A place like ace will cut plexi to whatever dimension you ask them to.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Thanks. I’m happy with the Hitachi tools that I have (router, circ saw, jig saw, etc). I didn’t realize they changed names.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
On the base in front of the slot that was cut. In order to get the items inside, both the front glass and the back need to be removable. The glass is going to slide out the bottom but I didn’t want that slot visible.
So the trim piece needs to be removable or it’s just a one time access point needed? If it’s just one time access, I’d glue it.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think I’m building something like this week. Would be interested in anything other people have done similarly or advice.

1461562597-cordless-drill-organizer-no-drawer.jpg

Reactions: CloniesForLife

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I bought the plan for the one The Wood Whisperer built but I haven’t gotten around to actually building it.
Ok, probably should knows this but I’m new to this. Who or what is the wood whisperer?

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Ok, probably should knows this but I’m new to this. Who or what is the wood whisperer?

He is one of the OGs for youtube woodworking content. Check out his youtube channel and his website. If you are on instagram too that is a great way to find inspiration and people who produce content/plans. There are a couple of other links to channels that I like in terms of educational content.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheWoodWhisperer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXBNF-A7QlYT3tT-B9N4ElA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJVAXmgIvhn3Be8js4cD-xg

Reactions: JM4CY

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
He was probably one of the first of the new woodworking instructors to go online. He's got a youtube channel with previews of the stuff he builds and if you like it you can join what he calls the guild and for about $80 for a big project he'll provide plans and instructional videos on how to build whatever that project is.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheWoodWhisperer/featured

He also has a bunch of older projects up on Amazon Prime for free.

Reactions: JM4CY

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I think I’m building something like this week. Would be interested in anything other people have done similarly or advice.

I did my own version a few years ago and really like how it turned out. My main purpose was more about bit storage than drill battery storage. So I added the upper section to store bits etc. Before that bits were generally in random cases from sets of bits I had bought/been given. I really like the way it turned out personally. No really tips of advice it seemed pretty straight forward. You'll probably have to tweak plans to fit your stuff a little. Pictures below include the inside before the door was mounted and then the door. The door is two pieces of peg board so I can hang things on both the inside and outside. The things the bits are in are just blocks of wood, each small block can be removed for easy access etc. At some point I want to do something similar for router bit/router accessory storage. That will probably be more of a floor cabinet than wall mounted.

VABbqKj.jpg

VDdpfKk.jpg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I did my own version a few years ago and really like how it turned out. My main purpose was more about bit storage than drill battery storage. So I added the upper section to store bits etc. Before that bits were generally in random cases from sets of bits I had bought/been given. I really like the way it turned out personally. No really tips of advice it seemed pretty straight forward. You'll probably have to tweak plans to fit your stuff a little. Pictures below include the inside before the door was mounted and then the door. The door is two pieces of peg board so I can hang things on both the inside and outside. The things the bits are in are just blocks of wood, each small block can be removed for easy access etc. At some point I want to do something similar for router bit/router accessory storage. That will probably be more of a floor cabinet than wall mounted.

VABbqKj.jpg

VDdpfKk.jpg
Thanks! I really like the door idea and making it bigger with peg board to fit more stuff on it and making it more practical. Side note, I like the idea of hanging your kreg jig. I was just thinking I need a better place to store it. I hve it mounted on a piece of ply wood and could just drill some holds and hang it. I wish my garage wasn't lined with drywall and had plywood like yours so I could hang stuff where ever I wanted without finding studs.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
upload_2020-6-8_11-21-24.png

This is what I am working on drawing up right now for my basement. The under cabinet area is for drills, batteries and chargers. Still have some detail left to add. Materials are mdf, black melamine, and red oak for trim. Probably overkill but why not.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA

VABbqKj.jpg

VDdpfKk.jpg

This is sweet, I do like the idea of peg board in the cabinet door for dual storage.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

This is what I did for mine. I just incorporated it into other shelves. Anticipate not only what you have for it now, but what you will have for it. You might have to adjust the gaps in the hangers for certain things but everything is pretty straight forward. Ignore the messy bench.

DA24C244-0FDB-4C68-8B73-D08AC7A8A021.jpeg EC934A0F-59C8-4469-A09D-B4696A4B5E02.jpeg
125F88B6-492B-40BD-87E7-514DBECD8A30.jpeg

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I probably count as a barely-competent carpenter more than a woodworker, but enjoy drooling over the various projects here. My garage is jealous of your workspaces.
I’ve been replacing some baseboard moulding at the wife’s request, and am finally fed up with the $35 10” miter saw that I picked up at a garage sale 8 years ago. It’s probably great for framing, but, even with careful fine-tuning, is hardly a precision tool. Any recommendations? I’d like to spend slightly less than a small fortune. Any must-have or useless features that you’ve encountered?