Grub question for lawn aficianados

INCyclone

Jan 17, 2012
Indiana
I've started out the year with the lawn looking great. However, cleaning up some turf around swing set for mulch has revealed what I'm sure are grubs. I would imagine they are throughout the lawn. What is everyone's go-to treatment for grubs? Thanks!

Attachments

• grubs.jpg
    grubs.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 72

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Definitely grubs. Make sure you water before applying your chosen product. The products are probably all similar just choose the chemical that you like best there are probably a couple options.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Right now you are in that fine line of if you will get a good kill on them with it about to get hotter which will force the grubs deeper. Typically you want to apply grub control either early spring when it is cooler and they more near the surface to feed on it or in the fall when it cools down a bit when they come back to the surface to feed again. Usually can get your best results applying a grub killer product in the fall when they are the most active.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Definitely grubs. Make sure you water before applying your chosen product. The products are probably all similar just choose the chemical that you like best there are probably a couple options.

Scott's GrubEx tells you to water after applying. First time I've ever heard of watering before you apply.

I got mine down a little over a couple of weeks ago. Applied it late in the afternoon and it rained all night. Glad I did not have to water it in.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Scott's GrubEx tells you to water after applying. First time I've ever heard of watering before you apply.

I got mine down a little over a couple of weeks ago. Applied it late in the afternoon and it rained all night. Glad I did not have to water it in.

I think the next time I do grub control I’m going to do both!

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
A few grubs aren't in issue. There are quick kill products that you can use right now if you think it's bad enough. I won't run a quick kill product unless I'm finding a lot per square ft.

The quick kill grub control will not prevent future grubs, so if you want to kill them now and prevent them in the future you'd need to use two products in most cases. The quick kill products contain triclorfon aka Dylox. Those products also kill a bunch of other insects too, so if you don't have a lot of grubs it's not good to use it.

Scott's grubex is a preventative treatment using chlorantraniliprole. I think it needs to be applied in May as it takes some time for the active ingredient to get working in the soil. It's likely not too late though to use this product, but I'd have to look at the label. I've never used that chemical so I can't give you much more details on that.

The most common preventative is imidicloprid aka Merit. Usually Merit is applied mid-June up until early July.

Some of the grub preventatives have fertilizer or more commonly just the potassium, so like a 0-0-7 analysis.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
If you want to get rid of grubs get yourself some skunks. They'll dig those things up like crazy and eat them. Your yard will be destroyed and you'll have a skunk problem, but one step at a time.

Or just do what the people here say and get some GrubEx etc. Note I believe most of the products kill during the egg stage so it isn't the grubs you see right now that you are necessarily going to get, but when those transform and lay the next set of eggs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron