Attendance policy from JP...

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
There has been nothing in the communication from Pollard about people being moved.

True, but if they are only going to allow season ticket holders and limit it to 30k, it only makes sense to spread everyone out. Otherwise, you are going to have a majority of people sitting next to each other and the corners will be empty. If that's the case, you might as well sell all the tickets you can because you're not accomplishing any distancing at all.

That said, if they really wanted to distance everyone, the real number would be more like 15k in a stadium the size of JTS. I do believe that this is just a first shot at a plan and if things continue to loosen up (no big second wave), we'll see them allow everyone in that wants to buy a ticket. Of course, some people are not going to be comfortable in a big crowd like that and will stay home, so I would expect lower attendance numbers regardless.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Seems like a reasonable way to handle it to me. I've already bought/paid. So I'll probably keep them, but it's something to think about.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Respect that decision. We already purchased when it opened up in early March. We also fall at about an 8 or 9 in how seriously we are taking the quarantine, which is why I was surprised that my wife wanted to keep the tickets instead of trying to get our money back. My parents will be staying home though.

1. If we are still treading water on covid like we are now, we would probably try to sell the tickets.
2. If cases do actually drop and there is evidence where outdoor transmissions are low we may go if there are good protocols in place. We'd likely severely limit tailgating, wear masks, etc.
3. Our kids will likely be in school this fall so we are mentally preparing for it to run through our house. Trying to get ourselves as healthy as possible before then. If it does run through the house and we know we aren't contagious, I would be full go if evidence is there that you won't get it twice.

Bingo. The schools will be open in the fall. This crap is going to come through the schools to adults at home. It is gonna come if it hangs in there over the summer. We are gonna have to do the old school deal with it when it comes like they did in the old days, only with a hell of a lot better medical knowledge and medicines and equipment. That vaccine if it gets here in early 2021 will hopefully save the nursing home patients if they can remain basically locked down until then. As you stated, we all know what is coming in the fall, get your minds and bodies ready folks.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I will be 68 years old this fall. I've missed just one game in over 30 years (the Colorado blizzard game). I've bought tickets and can't imagine not going, but I have to be convinced I'm not taking on too much risk. I have back row seats which helps. I want to hear what the plan is.

I'm an optimist and feel infections will have died down at the start of the season. I'm more worried about what happens if the virus comes back strong as we head toward winter.

You hear some docs state face shields and masks, so who knows what would be required by then. With amusement parks set to reopen and Vegas opening back up, we are going to find out real quick, well before football season.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Too bad no sort of head/face covering that could filter/block better than your standard mask, but allow ease of viewing and not glasses fogging up. Something that would take the spread rate way down even if around someone who has it.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Kudos to you on your attendance. I have missed 5 games in 51 years. I missed that Colorado game too. Had a 100 mile drive, turned around after about 15 miles, could not find the road. I may be more of a pessimist than you, as I see too many people acting irresponsibly. But - let’s see what the next months bring. Until then - be safe.
For that blizzard game, I blew the snow off my long driveway, then cleared my dead end street to the point I could see the highway. The highway had not yet been cleared and I knew my Mazda wouldn't be able to make the 115 mile trek. I wanted to go badly because I sensed an upset and a game to remember. But I would have never made it down old highway 30, if I could have even made it that far.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
Hi, this is Brent. This is from the Des Moines Reigster,
"What about fans who are uncomfortable attending games in 2020 but want to return in 2021?
Henderson said the university has fielded many such calls.

Fans who fall into this category will receive points credit for a year of purchase for 2020 (three points in the priority system Iowa uses for seat selections), provided they return in 2021.

However, there is no guarantee that your 2019 seats would be available in 2021."

So seems pretty clear there is a difference in approach. Thanks for posting on CycloneFanatic.com.

lol

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I have criticized Pollard a bit in the past, but he will receive absolutely none from me here. He is being as open as he can be and doing what he can, which is really very little. He is limited by the powers above him: the Big 12, NCAA, governor of Iowa, president of U.S., and Mother Nature. Especially that last one. We know absolutely nothing about what paths this thing will take in the next few months.

Reactions: Scott34 and Cydaddy

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I have criticized Pollard a bit in the past, but he will receive absolutely none from me here. He is being as open as he can be and doing what he can, which is really very little. He is limited by the powers above him: the Big 12, NCAA, governor of Iowa, president of U.S., and Mother Nature. Especially that last one. We know absolutely nothing about what paths this thing will take in the next few months.

Pollard doesn't have a good track record trying to take down mother nature. She's a beast and quite stubborn.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
We had planned to (try) and upgrade our seats this year. We don't want to do that and then next year get booted out next year because the original season ticket holder decided they want them back. Then would we be guaranteed our old seats if we couldn't find comparable replacements? I would think that would be a nightmare for keeping track of. It will be interesting to see what is announced later.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We had planned to (try) and upgrade our seats this year. We don't want to do that and then next year get booted out next year because the original season ticket holder decided they want them back. Then would we be guaranteed our old seats if we couldn't find comparable replacements? I would think that would be a nightmare for keeping track of. It will be interesting to see what is announced later.

You probably won't be able to upgrade to a seat that has a season ticket from last year. I assume those seats will be blocked.

RIPVEISHEA

Mar 27, 2015
Anyone know how this would impact Cyclone Club points? You get 10 points per consecutive year of season ticket purchase. If we decide not to purchase this year and return to our seats in 2021, are we starting over in consecutive years of purchase?

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Anyone know how this would impact Cyclone Club points? You get 10 points per consecutive year of season ticket purchase. If we decide not to purchase this year and return to our seats in 2021, are we starting over in consecutive years of purchase?

I would assume next year would count as a consecutive purchase - sounds like they aren't punishing season ticket holders at all, regardless of their decision this year.

No upgrades this year whatsoever - if you renew, you get the same seats as last year.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
So now that the 50% capacity restriction is lifted in Iowa, will we have normal seating at football games? Seems like it.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
So now that the 50% capacity restriction is lifted in Iowa, will we have normal seating at football games? Seems like it.

Can't imagine we wouldn't at this point. Perhaps minus a section they hold back for people who prefer to remain distanced or other similar types of measures.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
For the record (because some people still don't understand this) lifting the ban is not the same thing as requiring people/businesses to open at full capacity.

Carry on.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It sure makes things more interesting now. Just because restrictions are lifted doesn't mean individual businesses and venues can't make their own guidelines they are comfortable with. If you still want to be able to offer some kind of social distancing there is no way you sell out the stadium but the 30k number likely will be expanded on I bet.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

I could see JP leaving it at 50% for now, but set up a "wait list". If things stay calm on the Covid thru say August 1, then let loose and sell them all. If a 2nd wave kicks up, then sorry.

He is usually pretty good about keeping options open. Especially when it drives up demand a bit in the process ("rare" tickets via wait list).

Reactions: beentherebefore