Little Richard has died at 87

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
So I saw Little Richard once in Atlanta. This was in 2003 I think and a 15 passenger van full of us from the ISU paintball team were driving to Orlando to play in the college division at World Cup. We were stuck in a traffic jam because you know that’s basically all Atlanta is and there was a black limo about 3 or 4 car lengths ahead of us in the LH lane. Little Richard pops out of the sun roof and stars waving at everyone. Somebody in the back of the van says “Hey look it’s Stevie Wonder.” The guy next to him was half asleep and says back without looking “You dumbass Stevie Wonder can’t drive”.

Reactions: matclone

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

Listen to In a Metal Mood. It’s a Revisionist History podcast all about Pat Boone. You’ll have more respect for him and less for Elvis after hearing it. It talks about Little Richard saying that at first he was mad, but then he realized that Boone was allowing kids to get interested in the songs and they were coming to find his original version. Obviously this big brain on Twitter didn’t hear it.

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/38-in-a-metal-mood

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
This link has background on the songs Rip It Up and Ready Teddy (side B):

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/little-richard/rip-it-up

A white songwriter named Johnny Marascalco wrote this song, which was released as Little Richard's third single. Marascalco while he was sitting in a cotton field waiting for a friend to get out of church so they could hunt rabbits. A later weekend, he heard Little Richard's "Long Tall Sally" and decided that he could write similar songs. Little Richard's producer Bumps Blackwell (who has a co-writing credit on this one as well) bought both "Rip It Up" and another Marascalco song, "Ready Teddy," which was released as the B-side of the single. The two songs were recorded at J&M Studios in New Orleans on May 9, 1956, with Blackwell producing. ...

So it was recorded exactly 64 years ago yesterday.

The link also mentions Bill Haley and His Comets, Pat Boone, and Ike Turner.

The lyrics:
https://www.metrolyrics.com/rip-it-up-lyrics-little-richard.html

Well, it's Saturday night and I just got paid,
Fool about my money, don't try to save,
My heart says go go, have a time,
Saturday night and I'm feelin' fine,

I'm gonna rock it up, I'm gonna rip it up,
I'm gonna shake it up, gonna ball it up,
I'm gonna rock it up, and ball tonight.

Got me a date and I won't be late,
Picked her up in my 88,
Shag on down by the union hall,
When the joint starts jumpin' I'll have a ball,

'Long about ten I'll be flying high,
Walk on out unto the sky,
But I don't care if I spend my dough,
'Cause tonight I'm gonna be one happy soul,

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

Little Richard was kinda miffed Boone got more airplay and record sales, so the next record was purposefully sung at at hyper-speed to confuse the white guy. Boone went on to cover at least 4 Richard songs (as did Elvis).

By the way the original lyrics to Tutti were really out there:
"Tutti Frutti, good booty
If it don’t fit, don’t force it
You can grease it, make it easy"

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
What a legend. RIP Little Richard.
An inspiration to all the white rockers, particularly the Beatles, who's cover of 'Long Tall Sally' was supposedly done in one take.
Also, check out the video clips from the movie, "Don't Knock the Rock" and, "The Girl Can't Help It'.

My fav Little Richard song is actually a cover from very early in his career, in his band The Upsetters, "Im In Love Again".

Attachments

• lr4.jpg
    lr4.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A good retrospective from RS

'I majored in mouth': How Little Richard invented the rock star

“I came from a family where my people didn’t like rhythm & blues. Bing Crosby, ‘Pennies From Heaven,’ Ella Fitzgerald, was all I heard. And I knew there was something that could be louder than that, but didn’t know where to find it. And I found it was me.”

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron