2021 Football Targets

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
what the last iowa receiver to play any meaningful downs in the NFL was Tim Dwight in the early 2000's........ yet we have 2 6'5" receivers currently playing??
I’m not sure that’s his first priority. If he comeS here, he has to fight with a bunch of talented wide receivers for playing time. At Iowa...crickets.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I’m not sure that’s his first priority. If he comeS here, he has to fight with a bunch of talented wide receivers for playing time. At Iowa...crickets.
true but here we use those wide receivers at Iowa as you said would be crickets..

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
true but here we use those wide receivers at Iowa as you said would be crickets..
They use their WR’s. Just not a very well. But after Smith and Ihmir-Marsette(?) are gone, there’s no one left but some slot receivers. Thus, crickets. Brecht sees tons of PT as a true freshman, maybe starts.

I can see at least a half dozen guys in the outside spots Brecht would have to fight through in Ames, just counting the ones with at least two more years of eligibility left starting in ‘21. If he didn’t want to face talented competition, I don’t blame him.

There’s an obvious corollary statement to that that I don’t see a need to make.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
They use their WR’s. Just not a very well. But after Smith and Ihmir-Marsette(?) are gone, there’s no one left but some slot receivers. Thus, crickets. Brecht sees tons of PT as a true freshman, maybe starts.

I can see at least a half dozen guys in the outside spots Brecht would have to fight through in Ames, just counting the ones with at least two more years of eligibility left starting in ‘21. If he didn’t want to face talented competition, I don’t blame him.

There’s an obvious corollary statement to that that I don’t see a need to make.

Wait, you forgot about Oliver Mart.....I am just kidding.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Brecht was thought to be an Iowa lean for a long time so not surprising. What is surprising is that now it appears WR recruit from Nebraska Keagan Johnson might be picking Iowa over Nebraska.

That Maro kid is blowing up right now. He would be a good get. It is pretty crazy how deep this Senior class in Iowa is.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
There will be all sorts of pearl-clutching by a certain segment of this forum about this class. Reality is that this is a very abnormal recruiting cycle where I would argue that, this spring, stars/offer lists mean less than they ever have before with limited evaluation and scouting opportunities.

On top of that, this staff has done more than enough for us to believe in their talent identification. We have repeatedly had success with guys who have unimpressive offer lists, or identified players early on who have landed the majority of their P5 offers late in the fall after we've already developed those relationships. They know what they are doing and have the results to show it.

Last edited:

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
By quantity, I see at least 15 other teams in the top 50 with a higher average player rating that are ranked below Iowa. Also why ISU is more like #45 than 21.
Correct. Based on current averages and looking at prior years, Iowa is probably a team in the 20's if they can keep their current average of 88 and end up with 20-25 recruits.

That said, we keep our current average of 82, we're looking at well below the 40's. Teams with an 82 and 20-25 recruits were in the 70's and 80's and were pretty much all mid-major. Need to get guys like Bollers and get that average up if you care about stars and rankings.