• #1 Recruiting Class in 2025

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • #1 Draft Class in 2025

Votes: 96 63.6%

• Total voters

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
The timing of these scenarios is very important.
The #1 draft in 2025 means ISU did have some of our best seasons leading up to 2025. If we get the #1 recruits in 2025 then we might have some of our best seasons after 2025.

In this scenario it makes sense to to take the earlier success than wait for the unknown.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
Definitely option 2. Recruits, no matter how high they're ranked are not guaranteed, (injuries, transfers, not meeting expextations). Ten draft picks means you probably kicked some serious butt.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I picked recruiting class. I barely care about pros. Highly ranked recruiting classes that are busts are the same to me as schools that churn out NFL with tons of players but still underachieve. Looking at 247's class ranks the last 4-5 years, how did Taggart get canned at FSU with those recruits??? I trust Campbell and staff to take whatever "level" of talent ISU can pull in and maximize it, and I want the highest level for my team.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
#1 draft class for two reasons. It means probable success in the win/loss column much faster than the #1 recruiting class in 2025...and the #1 draft class likely means close to a #1 recruiting class in 2026.

Winner. Easy answer. Having the #1 draft class like that means we probably just won the National Championship.

The recruiting class says we will be good in a few years. That's about all that is gauranteed.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
From where we sit right now, in 2020, if you were given the choice between these two options in 2025, which would you choose?

Option 1
We sign the #1 Recruiting class nationwide in 2025

Option 2
We have more players drafted than any other program in 2025. Let's go with 10 players drafted and two in the first round.

Another way you could frame this question: How many draft picks/first rounders would it take for you to pick option 2 over option 1?

Every pick in the first round could be an ISU player and I'd still pick option 1.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Every pick in the first round could be an ISU player and I'd still pick option 1.

ISU wouldn't have a team the next year, but I think it would be worth it to see 32 Cyclones picked in the first round in the same year.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
You do realize that if we have the most players drafted in 2025, it’s because we had the best recruiting classes in 2021 and 2022, right? Because that’s how it works.

So I’ll take Option 2 in a heartbeat. We’re that much better that much sooner.

Perhaps you want to frame this differently.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I picked recruiting class. I barely care about pros. Highly ranked recruiting classes that are busts are the same to me as schools that churn out NFL with tons of players but still underachieve. Looking at 247's class ranks the last 4-5 years, how did Taggart get canned at FSU with those recruits??? I trust Campbell and staff to take whatever "level" of talent ISU can pull in and maximize it, and I want the highest level for my team.

But this is the exact reason I go with Option #2 in a heartbeat. Simply put, he wasn't winning. If they're reeling in top 10 recruiting classes, there should be some HIGH level talent that can come in and compete/change games immediately. Having the most players drafted means there was talent and a ton of success from the team. Having the highest recruiting class can end up looking like 5-7 and 4-5 (before getting canned).

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Easy call--option 2! A large number of draft picks shows that the staff recruited kids mentally and physically right for the program and the system. Then that staff developed those recruits to the max. Texas is prime evidence of stars not meshing and/or being developed.

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
Option 2. Like others have said, it proves you have developed players and had success and the program is moving in the right direction. Better long term.

Also, it ultimately helps in recruiting. If we had a draft class like that, you could probably bet we are on the upswing and gaining in consistency as it relates to success. Just going with facts, you can't tell me we haven't lost out on some in-state linemen recruits to the TOE because of their track record with putting linemen into the NFL.

We have some good draft classes over a few years, recruits start seeing us like that for whatever position groups get drafted, our recruiting improves and so does the program.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
You do realize that if we have the most players drafted in 2025, it’s because we had the best recruiting classes in 2021 and 2022, right? Because that’s how it works.

So I’ll take Option 2 in a heartbeat. We’re that much better that much sooner.

Perhaps you want to frame this differently.
You do realize that if we have the #1 recruiting class in 2025 it's because we likely had a few Big 12 championships and college playoff appearances leading up to that, right?

ISU isn't going to beat Bama and Clemson out for several elite recruits without having competed with them at a sustained level.

Or some donors came into some serious cash ;)

Option 1 is effectively the same as Option 2 in that success is implied leading up to 2025. I'll take the #1 recruiting class to keep that success going.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
You do realize that if we have the #1 recruiting class in 2025 it's because we likely had a few Big 12 championships and college playoff appearances leading up to that, right?

ISU isn't going to beat Bama and Clemson out for several elite recruits without having competed with them at a sustained level.

Or some donors came into some serious cash ;)

Option 1 is effectively the same as Option 2 in that success is implied leading up to 2025. I'll take the #1 recruiting class to keep that success going.
You aren’t very good at this whole causality thing, are you?

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I think most Cyclone fans grow tired of "We may be this"...or "We may be that."
A #1 Draft class would mean "They DID do this" or "They DID do that." I personally would love for our fans to be able to bask in long term success for a change!

Help Support Us

Become a patron