ISU Medical School

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Personally, would like to see Iowa State add graduate programs in Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Language Pathology. Our Kinesiology Dept is solid (not sure about Communication Disorders Dept) and students are very well prepared for these advanced degree programs; their options right now are Iowa or out of state if they want to stay in public university.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don’t find this true at all. The difference between individuals is far greater than he difference between programs. Every undergrad has about the same basic requirements.

Maybe the gap we’re proud of is our post grad programs? I don’t have experience there.

I work with crappy ISU grads, great UI grads, and vice versa. Honestly the best grads as a whole seem to be Michigan Tech and Univ Wisc - Platteville.

I just always roll my eyes a bit at claiming we’re awesome at such a common, standardized degree program.
undergrad is undergrad. Rankings are pretty much meaningless until grad school.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
As someone who has worked at Des Moines University (and Iowa State) I found this thread interesting. I think there would be an opportunity to attract students, but as @Sigmapolis referenced, the real difficulty is in the medical rotation and residency spots locally (and nationally) which makes life really difficult.

Interestingly, DMU's DO med student class has a much larger class-size than the U of I. About 220 per class for DMU compared to 150 for Iowa. And there are more DMU grads than U of I grads practicing in the state of Iowa. DMU would also get thousands of applications for those 200+ med school spots.

Long story short, I think there would be an opportunity, but not sure the state of Iowa has the infrastructure with its hospital systems to make it work long-term. Unless there was a dedicated hospital just for Iowa State it'd be very tough.
There aren't many osteopathic schools in the country are there? Are DO's and MD's held in the same regard these days? I don't know much about it.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I studied recreational pharmaceuticals at ISU and it would have been nice to get a degree for it.

Start a cannabis program, print money, count money.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
There aren't many osteopathic schools in the country are there? Are DO's and MD's held in the same regard these days? I don't know much about it.
More than you’d think. I believe at last count there are 35 osteopathic schools. Big increase in last 15+ years. In regards to MD/DO that’s a big topic of conversation! ..and largely dependent on what residency program someone can get into.

Cypow

Apr 27, 2020
Personally, would like to see Iowa State add graduate programs in Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Language Pathology. Our Kinesiology Dept is solid (not sure about Communication Disorders Dept) and students are very well prepared for these advanced degree programs; their options right now are Iowa or out of state if they want to stay in public university.

I'd agree. The demand is there and it seems feasible.

Cypow

Apr 27, 2020
More than you’d think. I believe at last count there are 35 osteopathic schools. Big increase in last 15+ years. In regards to MD/DO that’s a big topic of conversation! ..and largely dependent on what residency program someone can get into.

In short, DOs are getting closer in repute to MDs. The distinction between the two has been eroding significantly. That said, I'd imagine there's still some snobbery and MD will likely be the more sought after letters for some time.

This makes me wonder what a possible collaboration between ISU and DMU would look like. Would DMU remain a DO school? Curious how that would work as I think most DO schools are independent and not associated with a university in the traditional sense. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Agree. Wifey works in healthcare and works closely with MDs and DOs and there are lots of patients who prefer DOs. Big cities and big academic medical centers probably still regard DOs as a level down but the whole functional medicine thing is gaining and I think that's a path more blazed by DOs. Could be wrong.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
In short, DOs are getting closer in repute to MDs. The distinction between the two has been eroding significantly. That said, I'd imagine there's still some snobbery and MD will likely be the more sought after letters for some time.

This makes me wonder what a possible collaboration between ISU and DMU would look like. Would DMU remain a DO school? Curious how that would work as I think most DO schools are independent and not associated with a university in the traditional sense. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
ISU will not be part of quackery!

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
As a broader discussion, I can't figure out why the BOR hasn't made their life's work reducing redundancy. All 3 regents schools have real strengths and we dilute them by duplicating them at the other two schools.

that makes some level of sense for graduate programs but not for undergraduate. Diversity of studies and students interacting with those seeking diverse degrees is good for everyone. Consolidation of programs just furthers the problem of only living by people just like them and only wanting to hear things they already agree with.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

most osteopathic schools are for profit and will accept more students and with different admission standards than allopathic schools. Doesn’t mean they don’t come out as good physicians but there is a difference in how they operate in addition to manipulation education.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
most osteopathic schools are for profit and will accept more students and with different admission standards than allopathic schools. Doesn’t mean they don’t come out as good physicians but there is a difference in how they operate in addition to manipulation education.
Aren't DO programs 3 years as well?

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

Michigan state’s med school is osteopathic

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007

Interestingly Oklahoma State has the Oklahoma State College of Osteopathic Medicine, but it is located in Tulsa not Stillwater so a model like that exists. Auburn also has an Osteopathic program affiliation and Michigan State has both a DO and MD program.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
As a broader discussion, I can't figure out why the BOR hasn't made their life's work reducing redundancy. All 3 regents schools have real strengths and we dilute them by duplicating them at the other two schools.

Its very simple they cannot reduce programs that all 3 schools have without hurting Iowa. If they had their way, the whole system would be the U of I Ames, the U of I Cedar Falls, and the University of Iowa.
Even today, Iowa gets more money per student then the other two in state aid, even though both ISU and UNI have more Iowa students enrolled.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron