AT&T Just Killed Off DirecTV For Good

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
AT&T's ownership of DirecTV has been a textbook example of mis-management. They'll probably screw up HBO before they're done as well.

It never really did make sense and then they paid WAY too much. ATT has more problems now as they had a heck of a lot of debt, partially due to this purchase.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
It never really did make sense and then they paid WAY too much. ATT has more problems now as they had a heck of a lot of debt, partially due to this purchase.
Truth. Also, their products became confusing. First it was simple, with one streaming service and one sat service. Now they have I don't even know how many different services, a couple still require STB which goes against the entire point of cord cutting.... Totally asleep at the wheel.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I notched my DirecTV channel package down a couple of levels recently since we don't have live sports right now and won't for the foreseeable future. Surprisingly easy to do so online, figured I'd have to call and deal with their attempts to upsell me.

The current situation of having lots of people at home probably didn't come at a great time for ATT. Lots of households now have more time to evaluate exactly what they do and don't need with their entertainment packages. I'm finding that without sports, there are only a few select channels we really tune into on a regular basis, and I could probably notch our package down even one more level.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Good article- thanks for sharing. Any experience about the new ATT TV Online - I would love to give my discontinue notice to Comcast.
Haven't used it. As @tim_redd said it requires a 2 year contract, which in the world of OTT services is ridiculous.

I signed up for DirecTV Now when it first started for a free Apple TV 4k. The service wasn't anything special. I've used YouTubeTV for over a year and had PSVue for a few years before that. YTTV is great, no complaints.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I cut the chord in early 2019 and dropped YTTV the day they cancelled the NCAA tournament this year. I have to guess that I've missed nothing of value. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime but no live TV.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
I have been using their streaming offering for close to 2 years, I think it was DirectvNow then. Idk what it requires for new customers, but I like what they offer. I had previously used sling and hated it. I use an app on my FireTV. I originally chose them because of the package offering and the free cloud DVR option. I do believe that they have made changes. I know our package isn't available anymore, but we have been grandfathered in. Price has slightly gone up, but I don't see us dropping it unless they force us out of our package.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I give it 5 years and streaming services will be approaching current satellite prices, with worse performance.
I don’t think that will happen. It’s gotta go up another $70 to get even with the dish price I used to pay. Also internet only seems to get better and better with its capabilities as the years go on.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
I don't have a lot of knowledge about alternatives. Do these streaming options require a lot more speed, and if they do, what's the best, most affordable way to get it? Also, I don't have a smart tv, and use Roku to stream things to my. Would that be enough to get access to these streams? Forgive my stupidity, I've suffered with DTV for too long, and have drug my feet about making a change.

I would like very much to lose DTV. I was pretty sure ATT would make it worse, and they have.

Is there any service besides satellite or cable that provides reliable local channels? Because of my I don't want to have spotty coverage of the networks. If anyone could direct me to a site to get me more informed, I would really appreciate it.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yeah, and i think you need a box for each TV, rather than using your own device. What is this, 1985? It's like they're TRYING to kill it.

EXACTLY. Its like they don't know their customer base at all. I wouldn't do anything with a contract either.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
We still have DirecTV. Mainly because we live outside of town and every year I call to cancel, they just drop the bill down to match streaming services.

Internet service has improved to the point that we can and do stream, but for the price, we haven't switched.

I did this for years until DirecTV quit playing ball in late Feb and our bill jumped to $140. I called 4 different times and tried to get it back to $80 -which I've paid for years -and nobody could do anything, so I pulled the cord after 20+ years and have gone to YouTubeTV. I don't like it nearly as well, can't stand the guide, DirecTV's was so much better to schedule and look ahead and see cast/info/etc -but it's $50/month and there's nothing on right now anyway...

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I don't have a lot of knowledge about alternatives. Do these streaming options require a lot more speed, and if they do, what's the best, most affordable way to get it? Also, I don't have a smart tv, and use Roku to stream things to my. Would that be enough to get access to these streams? Forgive my stupidity, I've suffered with DTV for too long, and have drug my feet about making a change.

I would like very much to lose DTV. I was pretty sure ATT would make it worse, and they have.

Is there any service besides satellite or cable that provides reliable local channels? Because of my I don't want to have spotty coverage of the networks. If anyone could direct me to a site to get me more informed, I would really appreciate it.
we only have 25mbs speed here and the streams do ok depending on what other devices we are using at the time also, there can be buffering issues some times and the streams seam to be about 30-40 seconds behind live no matter which service you use.. and I went with a $50 TV antenna I mounted to our roof and then another $50-60 worth of coax cable running to our 2 main TVs that works awesome for local channels.

allday4cy

Feb 25, 2012
Waterloo, IA
Anyone else get an email from dtv with free NFL max for this upcoming season? Normally I have to call and negotiate to get it for free, but received this nice surprise today.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Because I revel in schadenfreude here's my quarterly bump of this thread.

They lost another 954,000 subscribers in Q2

https://arstechnica.com/information...mount-as-another-954000-video-customers-flee/

They've lost 7 million subs since mid 2018.

Their average revenue per subscriber is $124.98 a month, what a joke

I guess they're just looking to milk the last of the most stubborn customers. Because that will certainly accelerate your subscriber loses. Wonder if the satellites are getting old and they just don't want to replace them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron