William small leaving?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
What's the most efficient shot in college basketball? Oh .. and what was our team shooting% of that shot?

Long misses lead to run-outs ..... That's the one thing we were awesome at last year on offense, throwing up bricks that led to easy points on the other end.

upload_2020-4-10_9-45-39.png

Good for #7 in the Big 12.

Not great by any means, but not exactly a disaster.

We were good for the #4 offensive rating in the conference last year. The 2014 team with Kane, Ejim, and Niang only finished #3 in the conference in offensive rating.

upload_2020-4-10_9-46-27.png

Notice the problem -- in the defensive rating column to the right.

upload_2020-4-10_9-47-1.png

Our defense was baddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

We were #10 and a huge outlier to the negative side. The 2014 team was not a great defensive team, but it at least finished #6 in the conference on defense.

We scored enough to be a good team by Iowa State standards.

We were embarrassing on the defensive end.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyPunch and CyTwins

Clyde4cy

Oct 22, 2018
The 2014 team was 44th in defensive rebounding % and feasted off turning defensive rebounds into fast break opportunities.

Our last 4 teams have been outside the top 260 in defensive rebounding %. This stat has haunted the program since we gave up 19 offensive rebounds against UAB. Hopefully Small’s replacement will be up to the task.

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
I’m surprised we haven’t heard more one way or the other on Small yet. At this point, I’m assuming he is staying.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Do we kind of want him to leave? I am not an anti-Small guy by any means, I don't understand what he does behind the scenes, besides recruit, and he seems to do OK at that. But this staff does need a shake up and I'm not sure Prohm would fire somebody.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
View attachment 71105

Good for #7 in the Big 12.

Not great buy any means, but not exactly a disaster.

We were good for the #4 offensive rating in the conference last year. The 2014 team with Kane, Ejim, and Niang only finished #3 in the conference in offensive rating.

View attachment 71106

Notice the problem -- in the defensive rating column to the right.

View attachment 71107

Our defense was baddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

We were #10 and a huge outlier to the negative side. The 2014 team was not a great defensive team, but it at least finished #6 in the conference on defense.

We scored enough to be a good team by Iowa State standards.

We were embarrassing on the defensive end.

Small and slow, either due to physical or mental concentration. It was amazingly bad watching the few games I managed to see.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Small and slow, either due to physical or mental concentration. It was amazingly bad watching the few games I managed to see.

Looking at last year's team, it was not a collection of guys with outstanding athleticism or size who you might expect to have considerable defensive potential.

But if those kinds of guys at least play hard and play smart on the defensive end and are generally in the right place, I am okay with that. Defense is mostly hustle and positioning. Sometimes an offensive player is going to make an outstanding play and make a shot with a hand in his face or finish over a guy in good defensive position or from a weird angle against a good shot blocker. Sometimes their ball movement is going to be exceptional, and after three or four good passes your defensive rotations will break down. It happens. Even Virginia gives up 40+ points per game during its best defensive nights.

That was not us. We were giving up open three after open three and dunk and layup after dunk and layup with the other team having to go through relatively minimal effort to generate good shots for themselves. It was pitiful and hard to watch.

That was our problem last year.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Do we kind of want him to leave? I am not an anti-Small guy by any means, I don't understand what he does behind the scenes, besides recruit, and he seems to do OK at that. But this staff does need a shake up and I'm not sure Prohm would fire somebody.

I love posts like these. Well no **** you don't know what he does behind the scenes and quite frankly it's none of our business. People act like because they don't know the specifics of what goes on it must mean they don't do anything or bring anything to the table.

I don't know what this guy does so he must be sitting in his office sipping on mimosas while playing on the internet all day.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I love posts like these. Well no **** you don't know what he does behind the scenes and quite frankly it's none of our business. People act like because they don't know the specifics of what goes on it must mean they don't do anything or bring anything to the table.

I don't know what this guy does so he must be sitting in his office sipping on mimosas while playing on the internet all day.
I am working from home, but no mimosa's til after 5

I wasn't insinuating Small does nothing or is useless btw. For all I know, he's Steve's right hand man. But the fans want a change, and this is one way to get a staff shake up.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I think his point was that either way their needed to be a staff shake up...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron