Howard Brown commits!

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Based on how they used him in HS speaks on his athleticism and quickness. If the coaching staff can teach him how to play DT the athleticism will take care of the rest. Excited about this one.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
290 lb. QB?
mog1.gif

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Wow, I haven't thought of Earl Campbell for a long, long time. But this kid running the ball looks like a reincarnation, just plows over and through people. Play him at QB, RB, DE or DT, but just PLAY HIM!!!! This will be a fun one to watch.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Do we have the next Jared Lorenzen coming to Iowa State. That was a big dude.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I mean, he could play QB, but not at that weight. He will be cutting a good 30 lbs to get down to what his quickness would need to be. His legs would get under cut 10 times a game.

I imagine he will come to camp and they will see what he can do and decide where they want him, unless they recruited him with a specific purpose in mind.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I mean, he could play QB, but not at that weight. He will be cutting a good 30 lbs to get down to what his quickness would need to be. His legs would get under cut 10 times a game.

I imagine he will come to camp and they will see what he can do and decide where they want him, unless they recruited him with a specific purpose in mind.

They recruited him to be a DT. People are talking about goal like situations... like what the Chiefs did with Poe. Or someone more commonly known.. the fridge.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Y’know, Paul Rhoads once said it’s hard to recruit good defensive linemen to Iowa State. Often misquoted, but true. I see the college football “haves” sometimes signing as many as four gaudily talented HS defensive tackles or defensive ends in the same signing class, and I wonder what those kids are thinking.

I’ve been a Cyclone fan a long time. Rhoads was right. Chizik wasn’t any better. I watched McCarney try to put defensive lines together from table scraps. Even when he managed two good DT’s, he never managed a third one for depth.

Walden and Criner weren’t any better. If Donnie Duncan was, it was only because of the talent Earle Bruce left him.

Things have changed. Howard and JR Singleton may not be highly ranked kids, but they’re athletic and have a chance to be really good.

And it’s because of Matt Campbell. Because, ironically, Rhoads recruited Jamal Johnson, then Campbell signed Ray Lima—and Jon Heacock built something special around the two of them.

Welcome aboard, Howard. Go Cyclones!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Campbell put Tongamoa in the backfield at times on goal line. Not as a ball carrier, but as a blocker out of the backfield. I could see them doing the same with Brown at times. Of course since he has actually taken snaps, that would for sure be a fun short yardage package with him at QB.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Campbell put Tongamoa in the backfield at times on goal line. Not as a ball carrier, but as a blocker out of the backfield. I could see them doing the same with Brown at times. Of course since he has actually taken snaps, that would for sure be a fun short yardage package with him at QB.

I think it’s something a lot of coaches would like to do, but having a big guy they trust to do it is rare. Sometimes coaches will occasionally do a WR pass trick play if the WR was a former QB. This is that rare DT who is used to running, throwing, and protecting the ball.

But of course this fan base immediately thinks of inserting him at QB instead of the more likely RB spot if anything at all lol

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Big, athletic, great balance, quick feet. If the dude can play with pad level, he could be special. He relies a lot of strength too, so technique will need to be developed. Exciting player.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron